• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Egret (1 Viewer)

RichardBaatsen

Just a quickie.
I was sent this pic. Is it a Juvenile Cattle Egret or a Little Egret.
I know what I think but can I have a few replies. (and why)

Please vote
Richard B

Attachments

• Egret - Copy.jpg
    Egret - Copy.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 210
Hi Richard, although the feathering is extending well down the lower mandible, and the neck looks thick, I think this is a Little egret - grey/green lores, and ratio of bill length to width of head.

not really https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Cattle_Egret/media-browser/70691061
the picture is far from perfect and the bill possibly still shorter in very young Little, without reading the other comments my choice would have been Cattle, due to the feathering going up half the mandible, now i’d say don’t know

You are right as always Tom. I looked at my 'Birds of East Asia' and I have a pencilled note (from when or why I don't remember) saying 'early juv has blackish bill', although the text of the book doesn't mention this. None of the other books I have illustrate this either, though one does say that the very young bird's bill is ash-coloured. I had completely forgotten.

I have to say that although they breed near me, I've never seen this colouring. I attach a couple of photos of what should be a post-breeding group (end of July) near my house, and no black bills visible.

Maybe Eastern (where I am) and Western are different.

Here, the sometimes-difficult-to-separate-from-Cattle-Egret species is Intermediate Egret.

I still think it's Little, but not quite as confident as I was.

Attachments

• 080731020 Nara Ponds.jpg
    080731020 Nara Ponds.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 080731022 Nara Ponds.jpg
    080731022 Nara Ponds.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 22
Not an expert, but Little Egret for me. Either a young with ungrown bill or a strange perspective shoot. The neck is already too curved for Cattle Egret, especially the part immediately below the head. Shows a beginning of a tuft on nape. Lacks any trace of yellow on the bill and face.

best, it would be nice to see egrets of any type in my garden. ;)

Last edited:
You are right as always Tom. I looked at my 'Birds of East Asia' and I have a pencilled note (from when or why I don't remember) saying 'early juv has blackish bill', although the text of the book doesn't mention this. None of the other books I have illustrate this either, though one does say that the very youn photos of what should be a post-breeding group (end of July) near my house, and no black bills visible.

I'm not offering an opinion on the identification, but for what it's worth Birds of the Western Palearctic says of Cattle Egret:

"Bill and lores at hatching pale flesh or horn (also described as green), darkening to black at 5–10 days, becoming gradually yellow during 2nd and 3rd month."

Bill

I'm not offering an opinion on the identification, but for what it's worth Birds of the Western Palearctic says of Cattle Egret:

"Bill and lores at hatching pale flesh or horn (also described as green), darkening to black at 5–10 days, becoming gradually yellow during 2nd and 3rd month."

Bill

interesting stuff, thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back