• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Hotspots of Texas (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
Anyone who is interested in looking for birding hotspots in Texas, please check out the Opus section of BirdForum. Everything uploaded for Texas, so far, is found here: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Texas

Texas is a huge state and more of the state parks and bird sanctuaries will be added as I volunteer my spare time! Actually it would be nice if a few more Texans would join in and start a page on their favorite birding locations! There is a Help page available to get you started and if you have photos of locations which need photos, please post them in the "Calling all photographers thread". For instance: we have no photo on the Caddo Lake State Park page at the moment.

Thank you .......

Last edited:
I will help out as much as possible! I'll be an honourary Texan for the next two months, and I'll be hopefully visiting a lot of the bird spots in west Texas!

Thank you Nicole.

If you can take scenic photos at the state parks and/or other birding hotspots that would be great. I'll try to start a few more location pages for the area. Where will you be based?

I will be based in Bracketville, working primarily out of Kickapoo Caverns, but I will be going to the other state parks in this area.
I'm still working out how to edit the pages, but I am working on this!

I will be based in Bracketville, working primarily out of Kickapoo Caverns, but I will be going to the other state parks in this area.
I'm still working out how to edit the pages, but I am working on this!

Thanks for your work on Garner State Park. You did fine with the check-list. Send me a PM if you have any problems/questions.

I've created a preliminary page for Hornsby Bend Bird Observatory, if it looks OK I'll try to fill it out with some more info and take a couple of pics next time I'm there.

I've created a preliminary page for Hornsby Bend Bird Observatory, if it looks OK I'll try to fill it out with some more info and take a couple of pics next time I'm there.

Thanks, Walter, it looks good.

It's a long time since I visited Hornsby Bend - predigital camera days, so it would be great if you can add some photos and more information.

If you know of any more birding spots around Austin, please go ahead and start some more pages.

Hello,

I have some photos of some Texas hotspots that I can can post - Park Chalk Bluff, Mckinney Falls State Park, Lost Maples State Park, a couple of the 1000 yr old tree at Goose Island SP, some recent shots of Sabal Palms, as well as some other locations that I can post. I will see if I can manage to make a page for a few that I don't see listed.

Hello,

I have some photos of some Texas hotspots that I can can post - Park Chalk Bluff, Mckinney Falls State Park, Lost Maples State Park, a couple of the 1000 yr old tree at Goose Island SP, some recent shots of Sabal Palms, as well as some other locations that I can post. I will see if I can manage to make a page for a few that I don't see listed.

Thanks, Laura. I'll be able to help in about a week. We're very busy trying to sell our house right now, but I have just added a page for McKinney Falls State Park during my coffee break!

Last edited:
Ok, so if I want to "make" a page for a spot, do I send info to the moderators? If I want to submit photos for an existing page, then I submit it to the link you provided, but what about photos for a page that I might make? I am sure there are stupid questions, but when I clicked on the link to help make a page, it wasn't as helpful as I thought it would be!! I need page 101 for dummies!!!

Ok, so if I want to "make" a page for a spot, do I send info to the moderators? If I want to submit photos for an existing page, then I submit it to the link you provided, but what about photos for a page that I might make? I am sure there are stupid questions, but when I clicked on the link to help make a page, it wasn't as helpful as I thought it would be!! I need page 101 for dummies!!!

Hi Laura,
Making a new page doesn't need to be submitted to the mods. I'll send you some guidelines later on today via PM. Thanks for your offer to help.....

All,
Just found out tonight I will be making a trip with work to Dallas so would like to try and do some birding over the weekend of 17/18June, could you please advise which of the Opus Texas sites are in easy reach of Dallas please. And if anyone from Dallas was out locally that weekend would they mind me tagging along?

Much appreciated in advance

Cheers
Nick

Hi Nick, my name is Laura and I live in Arlington, which is about 30 minutes away from Dallas. Exactly how much time will you have to bird while you are here? That will determine where I might suggest anyone take you, be it myself or anyone else. It will be fairly hot here by then and migrants of course will have made their way through. Do you have any target birds? oh, what part of Dallas will you be staying in? PM me & in the meantime I will be checking to see if I have those days off & if I don't I will try to change my schedule so that you can hopefully get some good birding in while you are here!

A fairly new hotspot for birding in Texas is the Seagoville Wetlands. It just opened October 2010. It is only open to the public every 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month from 9am to 4pm. I was there for the first time July 2, 2011. It was too hot so I am going back this fall but still had a great time birding.

I had not heard of this one. Just Googled it and the website actually calls it the John Bunker Sands Wetland Center. It is about 25 miles from downtown Dallas, at 655 Martin Lane, Seagoville, TX 75159, Tel: 972-474-9100

Next time you go, please can you take a few photos for a new page in our Opus Locations section.

Last edited:
Helen,

I wouldn't mind helping add information about the few "hotspots" around me. Let me know what to do to help.

Thank you for your offer, JW and my apologies for not replying before now - I've sent you a PM with some information.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back