• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please ID-Guanacaste Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

LazDivaz

I found this bird sitting on a branch in an estuary, but have never seen her before. Is it some sort of plover? Can't find it in my Styles and Skutch.
Many thanks.
Sara

Attachments

• bird12.5.07.jpg
    bird12.5.07.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 96
I found this bird sitting on a branch in an estuary, but have never seen her before. Is it some sort of plover? Can't find it in my Styles and Skutch.
Many thanks.
Sara

I can't say I've ever seen one sit on a branch, but it's a migratory Ruddy Turnstone.

Ruddy Turnstone for me, too. Don't know if you have any other turnstones down there, though.

Hey Sara,
You're getting a pretty good collection of visitors! Agree with Ruddy Turnstone - and let him know we're waiting for him to arrive back to Canada!

Yeah - just checked Clements list - didn't realize there were only two turnstones in the world - Ruddy and Black - but this is definitely a Ruddy.

From where has it migrated, do you think and isn't it a bit late to be getting back?

In the Americas, they breed in Alaska and Northern Canada
and winter along both coasts of the US and as far south as Tierra del Fuego. According to Stiles & Skutch, along with the spring & fall migrants, you also get some winter residents and "uncommonally" a few summer non breeding birds.

Shorebirds are just starting to pass through Calgary in decent numbers now but lots more to come.

In the Americas, they breed in Alaska and Northern Canada
and winter along both coasts of the US and as far south as Tierra del Fuego. According to Stiles & Skutch, along with the spring & fall migrants, you also get some winter residents and "uncommonally" a few summer non breeding birds.

Shorebirds are just starting to pass through Calgary in decent numbers now but lots more to come.
O ye of little faith....I guess I have to study my plates in Stiles and Skutch a bit more thoroughly before I go asking for help. I guess I'm just too eager to find something unusual, and, to tell you the truth, I'm much more excited about a siting when I can't identify it myself. Novice behavior, for sure!
Thanks for all of the info.
Sara

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back