• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper 65HDa (1 Viewer)

stereotruckdriver

Got this one yesterday, first impressions are pretty positive! Will post more later once I have really used it. Few things to note, case is a pita! Don't really care for them anyway! Do like that I don't have to attach a quick shoe to mount on tripod, I wonder where that came from. :) For a 65mm scope not really compact but, I knew that ahead of time. What I have seen scope seems well corrected, sharp throughout zoom range, good color and contrast! More later. Bryce...

Attachments

• IMG_20130109_180916.jpg
    IMG_20130109_180916.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 314
More observations. This scope is playing above it's purchase price! As a backup to my Swaro and to share with others it's a keeper! I'am going to get or should I say it's on it's way the fixed mag ep! I wish it was a WF ep but, unfortunately Vortex isn't making one??? For a touch over $500 US this is a fine scope! The lack of ca in the image is suprising, the image is very contrasty and sharp. Typical zoom image! More tunnel view than what I prefer but is usable throughout range! Even at max zoom 45x it's not as bright as the swaro but still has a sharp very usable image! No obvious distortions in the fov present at any mags! Ithink the scope could handle 60x save the dim image. All for now until iI get the fixed mag ep, Bryce...

Thanks for the feedback Bryce. Looks like this scope can officially go into the "official budget scope options" list alongside the Celestron F-ED.

Can you post a photo next to the Swaro to get a size comp? I know the Vortex scope isn't very small but just to see some contest.

Thanks for the feedback Bryce. Looks like this scope can officially go into the "official budget scope options" list alongside the Celestron F-ED.

Can you post a photo next to the Swaro to get a size comp? I know the Vortex scope isn't very small but just to see some contest.
Eitanaltman, will do soon my camera is on the blink apparently, tried down loading photo's and everything went black??? Got the fixed ep last night! Haven't had time to use it! Bryce...

Last edited:
More observations. This scope is playing above it's purchase price! As a backup to my Swaro and to share with others it's a keeper! I'am going to get or should I say it's on it's way the fixed mag ep! I wish it was a WF ep but, unfortunately Vortex isn't making one??? For a touch over $500 US this is a fine scope! The lack of ca in the image is suprising, the image is very contrasty and sharp. Typical zoom image! More tunnel view than what I prefer but is usable throughout range! Even at max zoom 45x it's not as bright as the swaro but still has a sharp very usable image! No obvious distortions in the fov present at any mags! Ithink the scope could handle 60x save the dim image. All for now until iI get the fixed mag ep, Bryce...
Have really put this scope through it's paces now! I don't think now that this scope could handle 60x! While it's fine for company I couldn't see myself having it as my primary scope. First the lack of good ep's for this scope will prove to be huge over sight on Vortex's marketing stradegy for birders! The zoom is the better of the two ep's available for this model. In use it's OK. No better than the xf zoom for the Pentax spotter I used to own. Infact although it has more eye relief than the xf the xf in itself was a better ep to me as far as quality and function. On to the fixed ep! To me it was designed as an after thought! It's basically a twist up eyepiece with threads! You have to really dig your eye into the ep which to me is very uncomfortable! It's 25x on the 65mm scope. I don't remember the exact fov measurements right now but, will say you don't get a relaxed immersive view with it! In that respect I think the Pentax scope with an xw ep makes for a better birding scope. The one area I think Vortex did well was the design of the focus. Fine and coarse and it works flawlessly! Although I now prefer the Swarovski focus. Smooth, fast and exact no fiddling back and forth same goes for the Nikon field scopes! So maybe Vortex designed the scope for hunters? With the picatinny type rail it has mounted on it for a red dot sight that might be the case! Still, a wide relaxed view for viewing any species is a must, less fatigue!!! These are my opinions. I think the Pentax and probably Celestron in this tier are better options, just for the fact there are so many better eyepiece combo's available! Bryce...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back