Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mr. Madarász and "his" Tiger-Parrot …

Old Thursday 29th May 2014, 09:16   #1
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Post Mr. Madarász and "his" Tiger-Parrot …

Here´s another little task for anyone with a sudden urge to translate from German!

This time it´s regarding Madarasz's Tiger-Parrot Psittacella (modesta) madaraszi MEYER 1886 a k a simply "Madarasz's Parrot" alt. "Madarász's Parrot " (and even … "Maderasz's Parrot"!)

As far as I understand it, this name commemorate the Hungarian ornithologist, artist, philosopher, publisher, Museum Curator, explorer and collector: Gyula (von) Madarász (1858–1931), whose first name (in other languages) often is written either Jules or Julius (the latter also used by himself).

Disclaimer: There seem to be some doubts if he ever was of any Aristocratic family. He might simply have added that Noble "von" to his name all by himself. Just to make it look somewhat more "important" …

However; now I´m looking for a "good quote" (or something additional "fun" or just read-worthy), to verify and/or expand my (this far) relatively short entry for this man.

The type description of his Tiger-Parrot was written in November 1885, and published the year after in: Finsch, O & A B Meyer. 1886. VÖGEL VON NEU GUINEA zumeist aus Alpenregion an Südostabhange des Owen Stanley-gebirges (Hufeisengebirge 7000-8000’ hoch) gesammelte von Karl Hunstein II. Zeitschrift für die gesammte Ornithologie. Herausgegeben von Julius von Madarász*. Budapest 3: 1-29.

In this article this Bird was described as "Psittacella Madarászi" by Meyer on pp. 4-5 (attached) where he explains the name with the following sentence:
Quote:
*Die zu Ehren des verdienten Herausgebers dieser Zeitschrift …"
But that (just being the Chief Editor) wasn´t all Madarárasz had to do with this "his" Tiger-Parrot. On the last page of this article (p.29, attached) the two Authors concludes with a short Epilogue (NACHSCHRIFT) where they add:
Quote:
"Es sei ferner noch bemerkt, dass sowohl die 8 Abbildungen jener Abhandlung im Jahrgang 188; dieser Zeitschrift, als auch die sechs der vorstehenden von Hr. Dr. von Madarász in Budapest gezeichnet und lithographirt sind, und dass das Coloriren derselben in Dresden durch Hrn. Max Schneider unter Leitung des Einen von uns (Meyer) und des Hrn. K. G. Henke geschah."
As far as I, with my meager knowledge of German, understand this it means that Madarász also was in charge of the Artwork!

With only limited knowledge of German I hope that anyone of Bird Forums readers feel like translating those quotes for me!? If so, please as accurate as possible, as I would like to quote them myself in Swedish. And don´t hesitate to remark on any errors that I might have done transcribing it.

Anyone feel up to it?

PS. And, just for the Beauty of it (attached) the Plate of Psittacella madarászi itself, depicted by Madarász himself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finsch & Meyer - p.4.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	499143  Click image for larger version

Name:	Finsch & Meyer - p.5.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	499144  Click image for larger version

Name:	Finsch & Meyer - p.29.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	499145  Click image for larger version

Name:	Zeitschrift für die gesammte Ornithologie, 1886 - Title Page kopia.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	499146  Click image for larger version

Name:	P. madaraszi by Madarász himself.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	499147  

Last edited by Calalp : Thursday 29th May 2014 at 09:25. Reason: PS.
Old Thursday 29th May 2014, 11:14   #2
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
”Die zu Ehren des verdienten Herausgebers dieser Zeitschrift genannte Art unterscheidet sich von…"
"The species named in honour of the deserving editor of this journal differs from..."

Quote:
”Es sei ferner noch bemerkt, dass sowohl die 8 Abbildungen jener Abhandlung im Jahrgang 1885 dieser Zeitschrift, als auch die sechs der vorstehenden von Hr. Dr. von Madarász in Budapest gezeichnet und lithographirt sind, und dass das Coloriren derselben in Dresden durch Hrn. Max Schneider unter Leitung des Einen von uns (Meyer) und des Hrn. K. G. Henke geschah."
"It should further still be noted, that as well the 8 illustrations of this treatise in the 1885 volume of this journal, as also the six of the above, were drawn and lithographed by Dr. von Madarász in Budapest, and that the colouring of these was done in Dresden by Mr. Max Schneider under the direction of one of us (Meyer) and of Mr. K.G. Henke."

(NB - This work, Finsch & Meyer's Vögel von Neu Guinea, zumeist aus der Alpenregion am Südostabhange des Owen Stanley-Gebirges (Hufeisengebirge 7000 — 8000' hoch) gesammelt von Karl Hunstein, was published in two parts, the first part on pp.369-393 of the 1985 volume of Zeitschrift für die gesammte Ornithologie, with 8 plates, the second part on pp.1-29 of the 1986 volume, with 6 plates.)

(NB#2 - I think the above is correct, but German is still not at all my language, and if someone who really speaks it wants to check my translations, it would be all the better. )
Old Thursday 29th May 2014, 23:04   #3
Paul Clapham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
Disclaimer: There seem to be some doubts if he ever was of any Aristocratic family. He might simply have added that Noble "von" to his name all by himself. Just to make it look somewhat more "important" …
For what it's worth, his article in the Hungarian Wikipedia Madarász Gyula (ornitológus) doesn't mention anything about his ever being a member of the nobility. At least not from what I can tell; Google Chrome provides a translation which isn't horribly bad.

Interestingly it translates his name into English as "Gyula Fowler", so here's another example of an ornithologist with a birdy name.
2020 (HBW (Dec 2018 snapshot) -- 18.4% of 10967); 2020 (BLI Version 3 -- 18.2% of 11126)
Old Monday 2nd June 2014, 10:55   #4
kitefarrago

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_raty View Post
(NB#2 - I think the above is correct, but German is still not at all my language, and if someone who really speaks it wants to check my translations, it would be all the better. )
I can confirm that Laurent's translation of the German text is entirely accurate.

Andrea
Old Monday 2nd June 2014, 11:44   #5
l_raty
laurent raty

Thanks Andrea.
Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 08:17   #6
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Thumbs up Great!

Thanks Laurent, Andrea and Paul ...

Laurent, yet another excellent translation (even confirmed by Andrea), and thanks for pointing out that missed 1885. My slip of fingers. Well spotted!

This is enough for me to finish my entry on this man and "his" Parrot.

Madarász ... over and out!
Old Thursday 5th June 2014, 17:11   #7
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Ps.

Anyone curious of Mr. Madarász's (this time without any von) own two volume Work?

Check out the: MAGYARORSZÁG MADARAI; a hazai madárvilág megismerésének vezérfonal. A Magyar Nemzeti Muzeum Kiadványa. Anhang: Die Vögel Ungarns; auszug in Deutscher Sprache. Budapest .1899–1903. Vol I & II.

Accessible here. (Click on the Cover, to the right)

Enjoy!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: