• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Ema/Emu issue … (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Continuation of the closed (on my part, that is!) thread regarding the common name Seriema … from Post #13:
… This is the entry from my ms and the HBW Alive Key:

emeu Old Portuguese name Ema for the Common Crane Grus, later given to the Ostrich and other ostrich-like birds. The English equivalents Eme, Emia, and Emeu were first applied to the Cassowary in the 17th century, to the Rhea Rhea in the 18th century, and finally settled on the Emu Dromaius in the first half of the 19th century; ex “Emeu” of Clusius 1605, Wormius 1655, Bontius 1658, Dodart 1676, and Ray 1713 (syn. Casuarius casuarius).
James (and everybody else), what about the old theory, and widely used explanation, that today's Common name Emu (as well as Emeu and the Portuguese Ema alt. êma, I guess?) all originates from the Arabic word/s Na’áma or Na’êma (used for the Ostrich Struthio camelus) meaning ”big bird” … ?

I am not investigating English bird names too closely at present (that's another book/dictionary!) My original port of call was the OED which refers to the Portuguese ema. Cocker & Tipling, 2013, Birds and People, pp. 23-24, also mention an Arabic origin, but, referring to Portuguese explorers and traders in the East Indies, conclude, "It strengthens the idea that the name was of Portuguese origin and was transferred first from the crane (or ostrich) and then to the cassowary."

Thanks James!

I thought so ... I just had to ask.

You can leave the Common names to me. At least the Swedish ones! |;|

It surely was the Portuguese version that entered the Ornithological world.

Ok, I´ll leave it here.

Ema/Emu ... over and out!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back