• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta S1 APO opinions and long term durability and relevance (1 Viewer)

westNE

So originally my plan was to part with my Kowa 664 to fund a new optics for hunting. Somehow I ended up with that scope plus an Athlon Ares 15-45 spotter on order and I just found a great deal on a Meopta S1 APO straight that I couldn't pass up. The Athlon should scratch that angled itch and I am hoping the Meopta gets me close to the performance I am looking for in a full size more stationary (80mm) spotter even though it is about 5mm short.

My question is where this older generation spotter falls in the new crop of mid to upper tier competition (Razor, Meopro, Zen-Ray, etc, etc, etc) in the $1500-$2000 price point. I see very few older reviews and even less that are recent and talk to how this scope holds up from a durability perspective and in the current marketplace.

Any opinions here would be much appreciated.

the zoom eye piece might not be super with glasses, only 15 mm ER at 20x might be quite a bit shorter at higher mag. AFOV is probably not that large either so warning for a bit tubelike view.

Would be interesting to know if new meopt eyepieces are compatible with the old model...both the wide angle and the long reach zooms are interesting

Would be interesting to know if new meopt eyepieces are compatible with the old model...both the wide angle and the long reach zooms are interesting

They are not compatible AFAIK. The old eyepieces are compatible with the new scope with an adapter I think, but who buys the S2 without an eyepiece?

//L

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back