Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Opticron T4 Trailfinder WP 8x25 Binoculars

Old Friday 31st May 2019, 18:03   #1
wilberfloss
Love, peace and understanding.

Opticron T4 Trailfinder WP 8x25 Binoculars

Hi, Birders.

I'm looking to purchase a pair of budget compact binoculars. The Opticron T4 Trailfinder WP 8x25 binoculars fit my criteria of price, a decent eye-relief and fully multi-coated optics. Does anyone have any experience of their performance in the field? I can not find an independent review anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sunday 2nd June 2019, 08:32   #2
typo

Wilberfloss,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm slightly surprised no owners have come forward to comment. The T4 may not be everyone's first choice binocular but I'm sure many have one in the glove box of their cars. It's a model I've picked up a few times in stores or birding shows and no, it doesn't compare to models costing two or three times the price, but it does quite a reasonable job for a roof prism binocular in this price range. I did consider it as a pocket binocular for those short walks to the news agent, but in the end went for something more expensive, with better coatings. If size isn't the primary factor I'd suggest a reverse porro, something like the Opticron Taiga 8x25 or the Nikon Travelite 8x25, which will have a brighter, sharper view. Otherwise I'd say the T4 is rather better than some budget compacts I've seen.

David

Last edited by typo : Sunday 2nd June 2019 at 08:34.
Old Sunday 2nd June 2019, 19:43   #3
wilberfloss

Thanks, David. I was just surprised by the absence of reviews on the web, even on Amazon, for what seems like a decent budget bin. Also, I read that it has been discontinued in the USA as of Feb 2019. However, it is still listed on Opticron's UK site. Anyway, thanks for your advice; I shall certainly give some thought to the models you have suggested.

Many thanks.
Old Sunday 2nd June 2019, 21:35   #4
typo

WF,

Just as a blindsider. For the same money as the T4, Opticron have the Adventurer T WP 6.5x32 porro. It won't tuck into your shirt pocket, but has a very wide field of view, works well with my glasses at least, and will do much better in low light than those compacts.

I don't need one, but I want one.

David

Last edited by Troubador : Tuesday 4th June 2019 at 12:07.
Old Monday 3rd June 2019, 11:18   #5
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

You can find a lot more reviews of the predecessor models on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005GPB5O4

The T3 and T4 are optically the same.

The T4 series is being phased out in the US to be replaced by another range which will be sold in-store only (as the Alpha ED models continue to be in that country).

HTH

Cheers, Pete
Old Monday 3rd June 2019, 12:42   #6
wilberfloss

Hi, Pete. Thanks for taking the time to answer my query.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: