• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Appalachian Butterflies (1 Viewer)

Sharpbill

I have recently driven up the Blue Ridge Parkway through the Appalachians. I have tried to identify these butterflies but would like confirmations if anyone can help.

1. Appalachian Tiger Swallowtail (uncertain! Based purely on thickness of black forewing bands)
2. Eastern Tiger Swallowtail ( ditto )
3. Eastern Tailed Blue
4. Appalachian Azure (photo'd early June)

Thanks John

Attachments

• DSC04009A resized Appalachian Tiger Swallowtail.JPG
    DSC04009A resized Appalachian Tiger Swallowtail.JPG
    433.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1344 resized Eastern Tiger Swallowtail perhaps.JPG
    IMG_1344 resized Eastern Tiger Swallowtail perhaps.JPG
    378.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC03983A resized Eastern Tailed Blue.JPG
    DSC03983A resized Eastern Tailed Blue.JPG
    463.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1121 resized Appalachian Azure.JPG
    IMG_1121 resized Appalachian Azure.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 6
And a few more... not really got a clue on these

1. Aphrodite Fritillaries?
2. Aphrodite Fritillary?
3. Black Swallowtail?
4. Unknown?

Cheers John

Attachments

• DSC03962A resized Aphrodite Fritillary.JPG
    DSC03962A resized Aphrodite Fritillary.JPG
    564.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC04124 resized Aphrodite Fritillary.JPG
    DSC04124 resized Aphrodite Fritillary.JPG
    632.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1354A resized Black Swallowtail perhaps.JPG
    IMG_1354A resized Black Swallowtail perhaps.JPG
    430 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC03991A resized unknown.JPG
    DSC03991A resized unknown.JPG
    487 KB · Views: 9
1 Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, male Papilio glaucus
2 Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, female
3 Very confusing, appears to have a tail but the upper wing looks like Greenish Blue to me, Plebejus saepiolus
4 Spring Azure Celastrina ladon?

1-2 in the second lot look to me like Great Spangled Fritillary Speyeria cybele

3 I'd go for female Pipevine Swallowtail Battus philenor

4 Silver-spotted Skipper Epargyreus clarus

I'm no expert but I do have the book.

Last edited:
Set 1, photo 3: Worn Eastern Tailed-Blue. (Greenish Blue would be out of range.)
Set 1, photo 4: Celastrina sp. I don't believe these can be reliably distinguished from photos.

Set 2, photo 1: Great Spangled Fritillary
Set 2, photo 2: Aphrodite Fritillary
Set 2, photo 3: not sure based on this photo
Set 2, photo 4: agree with Silver-spotted Skipper

I believe distinguishing Appalachian from Eastern Tiger Swallowtail based on photos is problematic. Would be interested to know what sources you guys are using to attempt this.

Last edited:
Set 1, photo 3: Worn Eastern Tailed-Blue. (Greenish Blue would be out of range.)
Set 1, photo 4: Celastrina sp. I don't believe these can be reliably distinguished from photos.

Set 2, photo 1: Great Spangled Fritillary
Set 2, photo 2: Aphrodite Fritillary
Set 2, photo 3: not sure based on this photo
Set 2, photo 4: agree with Silver-spotted Skipper

I believe distinguishing Appalachian from Eastern Tiger Swallowtail based on photos is problematic. Would be interested to know what sources you guys are using to attempt this.

Hi Jim,
all I have is the 1st ed of the Swift guide which doesn't seem to split them anyway but it does mention a 'large' form that occures in the high Appalachians that some treat as a separate species.

With emphasis on 'high', perhaps there's new information about altitudinal ranges in the 2nd ed which is fairly newly out but which I don't have?

Regarding that Eastern Tailed Blue, there should be no line at the cell end in the fore wing which is clearly present on this individual though it clearly, also has a tail.

Last edited:
Many thanks Andy, that's very helpful. My further thoughts ...

Silver-spotted Skipper and Great Spangled Fritillary look good.

I don't see any greenish tints on the 'tailed' blue so still wonder about Eastern Tailed Blue

I probably can't sort Appalachian, Spring or Summer Azures on my photos (I am reading the best way to split them is stake out the preferred fod plant).

Shouldn't Pipevine Swallowtail show some blue on the underwing?

Cheers, John

Thank you Jim, I hadn't seen your post when I replied to Andy.

I have no book source, I was just comparing images on the internet.

Regards John

Jim,
I should have asked, what features do you see that confirm Aphrodite Fritillary (this was my first tentative ID based on web images)

Andy, I was mis-reading your first post regarding 'greenish-blue tint' and Greenish Blue butterfly. My apologies.

John – the small basal spot in the forewing cell eliminates Great Spangled Fritillary, which doesn't show that (compare your other photo). There is another possibility – Atlantis Fritillary. But that would be out of range unless this was taken in Northern Virginia. (I find the eye color, which is supposed to be the best way to distinguish the two, difficult to judge from a photo such as this).

Andy – the second edition of the Swift Guide doesn't treat Appalachian Tiger Swallowtail as a separate species, and has the same remark you mention.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back