• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid 10x50 or 10x42 Birding (1 Viewer)

Mike

have a look through some of the posts in the threads referring to the Ultravids. I am sure you will find much opinion and ratings regarding the optics.

They are light in weight - but optically it sems you have a pretty much equal choice: Swarovski EL, Nikon HG, Zeiss Victory II ...

Last edited:
The ultravids are excellent, but the eye relief may be an issue if you wear glasses, the
10x42 has 15.8 mm which is acceptable,
the 10x50 has 14.6 mm which is beginning to get on the short side,
so be sure to try them first!
I currently have the Leica 8x32 Trinovids with 14 mm eye relief, and that is not enough for comfortable viewing with glasses (for me).

Last edited:
gorank said:
The ultravids are excellent, but the eye relief may be an issue if you wear glasses, the
10x42 has 15.8 mm which is acceptable,
the 10x50 has 14.6 mm which is getting on the short side,
so be sure to try them first..

I had a look through the whole range of Ultravids at the Bird Fair last August.
I'm a 'speccy 4 eyes'! and had no problem getting superb views thru' them all.
I just could'nt justify the massive price hike on these bins.....I love 'em to bits, but I love my wife more....and she controls my credit card now!!

Dave.

I'm not too convinced by figures such as 14.6mm - wearing my glasses, I can no more see the whole field through 16mm Swarovski eye relief scope than I can through a 14mm Nikon or Kowa eyepiece... It's down to the individual's eyesight and type of specs in my view - and their interest in whether or not they can see the whole FOV, too.

Last edited:
figures from Leica states that with glasses you get 83% FOV with the Ultravid 10x50, and 98% with the 10x42 model. I guess they have some kind of quality standard for rating this. I personally think that longer eye relief often helps to get a more comfortable view.

scampo said:
I'm not too convinced by figures such as 14.6mm - wearing my glasses, I can no more see the whole field through a 16mm eye relief scope than I can through a 16mm scope eyepiece... It's down to the individual's eyesight and type of specs in my view - and their interest in whether or not they can see the whole FOV, too.

try to hold on to the thread subject the leica ultravids...=)
oterhwise we could be ending up discussing Nikon gear...;-)

Last edited:
Ah well, some of us who post here are only human after all and suffer from typical human frailties...

Mind you, as others frequently point out, the usefulness of these threads is that they do often in idiosyncratic ways open up new areas of interest.

And I think it's worth saying that asking if Leitz Ultravids are a decent birding bino is rather like asking if the sun will rise tomorrow. Some of us do like a bit of confirmation of such things at times, it's true, and that's okay with me...

Now about those Nikons...

(-:

A more comfortable view? Hopefully, the manufacturer will have put their comfortable rubber eyepiece ends at just the right point for the eye relief, whatever the mm spacing!

scampo said:
A more comfortable view? Hopefully, the manufacturer will have put their comfortable rubber eyepiece ends at just the right point for the eye relief, whatever the mm spacing!

Negative eye relief would not be comfortable though...even with a pair of nikons...=)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back