Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Faulty Goods

Old Thursday 11th March 2010, 18:25   #1
Ian Hardy

Faulty Goods

Do you have to accept a repair in the first six months?

Ian
Old Thursday 11th March 2010, 18:39   #2
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

I know when my D90 needed repairs after 4 and 1/2 months, the store wouldn't replace it because it was older than 3 months so I had to send it on to Nikon for repair.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 11th March 2010, 19:32   #3
Duke Leto
Without habitat, there is no wildlife. It's that simple.

One for trading standards, I imagine that the supplier by offering a repair covers it's self under the sales of goods act. I think you have to call your local trading standards officer and get the correct answer

Last edited by Duke Leto : Thursday 11th March 2010 at 21:09.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 11th March 2010, 19:44   #4
ChrisKten
It's true, I quite like Pigeons

This doesn't directly answer your question (or maybe it does), but you might find this information useful.

There's a few links on the site as well, including to The Sale of Goods Act.
Old Friday 12th March 2010, 10:21   #5
Ian Hardy

I have this morning returned my gear to Nikon UK for them to solve the problem, but will reject both the camera and lens and demand a replacement for both items if they fail to work properly when i get them back. The lens is only 8 months old and the camera 7.
Old Friday 12th March 2010, 14:43   #6
Duke Leto

Ian again check with your local trading standards officer, I think you're very unlucky if you have 2 faulty items. I would hope that the trading standards should be able to offer the words that should be used in these circumstances. Whilst its not in the same league I had a problem with a purchase from PC World after 13 months (with a 1yr gaurantee) and used extracts from the sales of goods act to recover my money. It helps if you do your homework before declining or rejecting anything

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th March 2010, 15:58   #7
Ian Hardy

Hi Steve,

I contacted Trading Standards South East this afternoon they have told me as soon as i get the independant report from Nikon to contact them again. And if it is the camera that is faulty i am entitled to a replacement and like wise the lens.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks

Ian
Old Saturday 13th March 2010, 15:39   #8
Ian Hardy

The Sales Manager at Warehouse Express told me by e mail yesterday that you are only entitled to an exchange if an item is faulty within 28 days of purchase.
They then direct you to their companies terms and conditions.

The Trading Standards are going to contact them and tell them that they cannot do this they also told me to send a letter to W E and tell them that if the camera is faulty i will be insisiting on it being exchanged for a new camera.

Ian
Old Saturday 13th March 2010, 20:02   #9
Cheshire Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hardy View Post
The Sales Manager at Warehouse Express told me by e mail yesterday that you are only entitled to an exchange if an item is faulty within 28 days of purchase.
They then direct you to their companies terms and conditions.

The Trading Standards are going to contact them and tell them that they cannot do this they also told me to send a letter to W E and tell them that if the camera is faulty i will be insisiting on it being exchanged for a new camera.

Ian
I work in retail and no company can refuse to give you a refund or replacement (whichever you choose) within a "reasonable time" against goods which are clearly faulty so long as you have proof of purchase. Most companies give a 12 month warranty. Some try and put the onus on buyer to get in touch with the manufacturer. In law the contract is between the buyer and the retailer, if they fail under this contract you can take them to the small claims court. It is good to see that trading standards are contacting the company involved. Hopefully the matter will be resolved quickly.

CB
Old Sunday 14th March 2010, 00:44   #10
a.dancy

As Steve says it is worth taking advice. You have not indicated what is wrong with the goods. As far as I am aware , if goods are 'not fit for purpose' then within a reasonable period of time you are entitled to claim 'total breach of contract' and thus get your money back. It is best to get advice from Trading Standards or CAB.

I imagine most people buying camera equipment will have proof of purchase. However when going to court your evidence that you purchased an item from a retailer will often be accepted buy a court and having a witness will strengthen your position.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 14th March 2010, 08:35   #11
Ian Hardy

Thanks for the further info, the cameras shutter release and af/on buttons do not work. I have asked Nikon U K not to repair the camera if it is faulty as i will be insisting on a replacement from Warehouse Express.

Thanks again

Ian
Old Monday 15th March 2010, 17:33   #12
Ian Hardy

Warehouse Express have told me today that they are not interested in what the Trading Standards Office people say they are sticking to their terms and conditions which state if an item is faulty within 28 days you are entitled to ypur money back a replacement or a credit.

Ian
Old Monday 15th March 2010, 17:42   #13
Cheshire Birder

It is sad to see one of the leading optical retailers, refusing to comply with their legal requirements.

CB
Old Monday 15th March 2010, 20:03   #14
Ian Hardy

Hi Steve,

I purchased a brand new D300 from them in August 2009 and have been having problems with it, i was informed by Trading Standards that i should ask the above company for an exchange.

They refused point blank saying that their terms and conditions state you can have either a refund or a replacement if an item is found to be faulty within 28 days of purchase.
Old Monday 15th March 2010, 20:31   #15
davem

To be honest after purchase I'd deal directly with the Mfr (or Nikon UK Ltd) anyway - it'll save quite a lot of postage time apart from anything.
Old Monday 15th March 2010, 21:21   #16
Ian Hardy

Hi dave,

I agree with you and that is what i am doing.

Ian
Old Monday 15th March 2010, 21:28   #17
h14nha

Hi Ian
Speak to your local trading standards and they should advise you how to draft a letter and what content to put in it. When W/E realise you know your rights and will exercise the law to get them, you may find they back down.
Their terms and conditions may bully some people but the law is the law.
Good luck either way,
Ian
Old Monday 15th March 2010, 21:37   #18
Duke Leto

I wouldn't let that put you off, follow trading standards advice, it may also be worth pressing Nikon, after all its there reputation at stake.
As a matter of interest I assume you tried the 400 lens on another body and the D300 body on another lens? Never worked out why you thought both were faulty.

Old Monday 15th March 2010, 22:09   #19
Adey Baker

Quote:
Hi Steve,

I purchased a brand new D300 from them in August 2009 and have been having problems with it, i was informed by Trading Standards that i should ask the above company for an exchange.

They refused point blank saying that their terms and conditions state you can have either a refund or a replacement if an item is found to be faulty within 28 days of purchase.
So what precisely are they offering you? If you've only just purchased an item they (probably Nikon, ultimately) can replace a faulty component and sell it on as an 'A'-quality item or whatever they call them so long as they're otherwise in pristine condition. As your camera is several months old it could easily have taken many thousands of shots, picked up various scuff-marks, got dust into all sorts of little corners, etc., and in this case they may offer to repair it or just replace the faulty component free of charge rather than replace the full item.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 15th March 2010, 23:37   #20
JohnZ

I have a funny feeling that they now charge for any advice etc.
Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 10:22   #21
Ian Hardy

As of this moment W E say i have to accept a repair Nikon have not offered me anything as yet they are still trying to find the fault. The D300 is in excellent condition it has no marks on it at all.

I am waiting for a response from Nikon U K. Warehouse Express told they are not interested in what the Trading Standards people have said.
Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 10:25   #22
Ian Hardy

Yes i did Steve the 400mm works with my D2Xs and the D300 works with my Sigma 150mm Macro Lens.
Ian
Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 10:43   #23
Duke Leto

Quote:
Yes i did Steve the 400mm works with my D2Xs and the D300 works with my Sigma 150mm Macro Lens.
Ian
Look forward to the next update, a pro friend if mine had a 300/2.8 that refused to work on his D3, eventually he had a a new lens, funnily enough his 300/2.8 would work on his D2X.

Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 11:49   #24
Overread
Hunting birds with a canon

I always assumed after the 28 days that you just went through the warrenty on the product rather than the distributer/retailer. I can understand their point about the time limit as a fault reported well after purchase could be the result of inproper keeping/usage of the product (whether the user knew about it or not - I've seen cameras dead from spilled coke drinks that the owner was never aware of occuring till the camera died sometime later).
I can't imagine that if there is no obvious ware and tear and that you have kept and used it correctly that the warrenty will be and trouble to go through
Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 13:28   #25
pe'rigin

Looks like WE are hiding behind their T&C to the letter. Which although annoying, doesn't constitute any misrepresentation.

The warranty lies with Nikon.

They usually are pretty good, with personal complaints.

If it were I, I would email them (very polity) with the warranty details and hand deliver it to Kingston (appointment), getting all the names and contacts and giving them a timescale for you to collect again.

A pain as well as an inconvenience, without doubt, but WE will wash their hands of this.

It would be great to think that a Company like WE actually did take after-sales care seriously. Their customers’ spend a lot of money with them.

It wouldn’t take much to arrange a collection of warranty issue problems once a week to Nikon and other manufacturers
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: