Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Meopta Meostar S2 82 HD

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 26th January 2015, 22:08   #26
DadraFromFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdiny View Post
Vespobuteo, until now I wasn't aware of the fact that there are two different versions of the scope (apart from straight or angled). I'm not sure which one I got, mine has a white and slightly embossed Meopta sign near the eyepiece part, i.e. behind the black focus wheel.
I've looked for photos of the scope on the Internet, but didn't find any that resemble my version. The body color is a dark green.
Yours seems like this one : no ?

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...s2_82apo_s.jpg
Old Tuesday 27th January 2015, 05:52   #27
Houdiny

Dadra, no, my version is slightly different from the one in your picture. The green part behind the black focus wheel and the position, color and look of the Meopta logo are different.

Martin.
Old Tuesday 27th January 2015, 08:19   #28
Vespobuteo

2014 meopta product catalog can be found here,
photos of the latest s2 design and the new stay-on-case:

http://www.slideshare.net/Optics-Tra...ics-trade-2014
Old Tuesday 27th January 2015, 08:34   #29
Vespobuteo

new review of the S2 compared to Swaro ATS80HD

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/en...404043695.html

The S2 got higher light transmission values than the Swaro.

"Compared to ATS 80 HD, the S2 also boasts greater luminosity. Total transmission is 89% regardless of the eyepiece used. With the 25-*‐50 eyepiece, the ATS attained 87%, while with the 20-*‐60 eyepiece the transmission is reduced significantly to 82%."

this is very interesting, since in an older review (in Jagdpraxis 2/2014) where the STX also was present (transmission = 87%), for the S2 straight model, transmission was measured to 80%, but when I asked Meopta about this, they said that transmission should be 85%.

(I guess straight and angled S2 models both use SP-prisms so there should be no difference between them.)

Might indicate that coatings could have been updated during 2014?
Or it's just about measurements and tolerances…?

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Tuesday 27th January 2015 at 11:09.
Old Tuesday 27th January 2015, 13:00   #30
lmans66

I used to have a Swaro ATS 80mm.....and wasn't impressed by it although admittedly I had the 20-60 eyepiece. I just thought the light in general, the view with the higher zooms etc..while good, did not blow me away. I cannot attest to it using the 25-50 eyepiece.

What impressed me was the view from the S2. Although I don't own one, the little I have used it in the field is an eye popper. So it is nice to see so many on the S2 bandwagon here. Well worth it.

As a side...another surprise was when I still had the Swaro and I used a Nikon Prostaff 5 80mm non ed scope down in Ecuador as we are always hiking around that country. Admittedly it is cheap, made in china, probably won't have the shelf life as the Swaro but I was impressed by the overall view, feel etc. I won't get one, but the bottom line is that many times the real high end scopes are given a run for their money. Perhaps that is why Swaro and Nikon have now come out with these $5000 scopes,...since the overall quality of lesser scopes across the board was becoming more balanced.

The good news is that the S2...is quality all the way thru, from I saw and remember, beats a Swaro ATS 80mmHD and should have a nice long shelf life.

My two cents on this

Last edited by lmans66 : Tuesday 27th January 2015 at 13:04.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 27th January 2015, 13:22   #31
henry link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
new review of the S2 compared to Swaro ATS80HD

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/en...404043695.html

The S2 got higher light transmission values than the Swaro.

"Compared to ATS 80 HD, the S2 also boasts greater luminosity. Total transmission is 89% regardless of the eyepiece used. With the 25-*‐50 eyepiece, the ATS attained 87%, while with the 20-*‐60 eyepiece the transmission is reduced significantly to 82%."

this is very interesting, since in an older review (in Jagdpraxis 2/2014) where the STX also was present (transmission = 87%), for the S2 straight model, transmission was measured to 80%, but when I asked Meopta about this, they said that transmission should be 85%.

(I guess straight and angled S2 models both use SP-prisms so there should be no difference between them.)

Might indicate that coatings could have been updated during 2014?
Or it's just about measurements and tolerances…?
The shape of the straight version looks like a Porro, not a Schmidt-Pechan. The cutaway of the angled version has had me scratching my head. I can't figure what the prism configuration is. It's definitely not a Schmidt, like every other high end angled scope. I'm not sure a Schmidt-Pechan can be configured for 45º, but even if it can, why would that be done when just the Schmidt part alone will do it?

I wonder if the light transmission figures for the Swarovski scope and eyepieces result from them being older units, with the 20-60x eyepiece perhaps being the oldest.
Old Tuesday 27th January 2015, 15:42   #32
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
The shape of the straight version looks like a Porro, not a Schmidt-Pechan. The cutaway of the angled version has had me scratching my head. I can't figure what the prism configuration is. It's definitely not a Schmidt, like every other high end angled scope. I'm not sure a Schmidt-Pechan can be configured for 45º, but even if it can, why would that be done when just the Schmidt part alone will do it?

I wonder if the light transmission figures for the Swarovski scope and eyepieces result from them being older units, with the 20-60x eyepiece perhaps being the oldest.
oops, I didn't think before I wrote….
But the review in JagdPraxis (can also be found on meoptas news page, but further down) says that the S2 have an SP-prism.
But obviously it does not look that way….

You are probably correct, on the transmission for swaro
swaro states 85% for the 25-50x, and 86% for the 20-60x,
http://aa.swarovskioptik.com/nature/...ts-80-t5006334
but 82% for a version with older coatings might not seem unlikely.

Anyway, 89% for the S2 is very good figures. IF this was measured.

The lower figures in the JagdPraxis review is a bit odd. Another strange thing with that review is that the transmission DIFFERS between max and min magnification in some of the scopes.

This review is 1 year older, so perhaps, S2 coatings (or/and the EP:s) may have been updated.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Tuesday 27th January 2015 at 16:01.
Old Thursday 5th February 2015, 18:29   #33
PHA

Quote:
you got the current/latest design,
(Previous version was lighter green and logo-placement, tripod-foot design have changed)
optically they are all the same (I asked Meopta about that),
Hello Vespobuteo,

Are you refering to the previous S1 Meopta Spotting Scope when you say is dark green colour and a different tripod-foot design?
Old Sunday 15th February 2015, 22:17   #34
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHA View Post
Hello Vespobuteo,

Are you refering to the previous S1 Meopta Spotting Scope when you say is dark green colour and a different tripod-foot design?
No, it's the S2 design that have changed slightly over the years, don't know why Meopta don't fix the product images on their webpage, a bit annoying…

Latest design of the S2 here (and the S1 below):

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/catal...?cb=1419952033

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Monday 16th February 2015 at 17:19.
Old Tuesday 17th February 2015, 12:28   #35
Houdiny

Another photo of the same kingfisher, taken a few days ago. Again, iphone 6+ through scope, without an adapter.
As I'm constructing a diy-adapter at the moment, taking pictures will be a lot easier in a few days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	532850  
Old Tuesday 17th February 2015, 21:13   #36
NDhunter

Quote:
Another photo of the same kingfisher, taken a few days ago. Again, iphone 6+ through scope, without an adapter.
As I'm constructing a diy-adapter at the moment, taking pictures will be a lot easier in a few days!
That is a beautiful photo, thanks for posting.

Jerry
Old Sunday 1st March 2015, 09:30   #37
Vespobuteo

the price of the S2 HD 82 has increased with more than 25% from 2014 to 2015 (Sweden)
had quite a chock when I checked yesterday,
and now the S2 is in the same price range as the swaro ATS80HD+25-50x,
perhaps it's all the good reviews?
Old Saturday 7th March 2015, 15:44   #38
tommybj

Quote:
the price of the S2 HD 82 has increased with more than 25% from 2014 to 2015 (Sweden)
Mayby it is because of the good reviews price has gone up in Sweden but you can still get it with 30-60 eyepiece in Germany at about 1899 euro
Old Sunday 8th March 2015, 12:52   #39
looksharp65

Quote:
It could be that the Swaro is in stock while the Meopta must be back-ordered with payment in EUR currency.
The exchange rate for SEK has dropped considerably vs. the EUR and the USD.
Old Sunday 8th March 2015, 15:20   #40
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksharp65 View Post
It could be that the Swaro is in stock while the Meopta must be back-ordered with payment in EUR currency.
The exchange rate for SEK has dropped considerably vs. the EUR and the USD.
currency only (euro), would not explain the almost 30% increase,
but as tommybj wrote, on ebay it's still the same price and quite a bit lower than the swaro ATS 80 (from germany),
though it might be stocked items,
dealers in sweden just might have gone bananas…
Old Friday 13th March 2015, 10:26   #41
miksik
photo and birds lover

stay-on case

Here is a photo of my new Meopta with new design of stay-on case (I bought it at early December). The case is more usable than previous version (see removable covers of lens and ocular)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...ab24bb38649589
[email protected]
www.natureblink.com
Old Friday 13th March 2015, 17:34   #42
Houdiny

Hi Ivan!
Would you say the soc interferes with the focus wheel? Are there any other disadvantages or would you say that it is all good?
Thanks!

Martin
Old Friday 13th March 2015, 19:57   #43
Sancho
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Hi Ivan!
Would you say the soc interferes with the focus wheel? Are there any other disadvantages or would you say that it is all good?
Thanks!

Martin
Martin, I have exactly the same scope and case, and IMHO the case does indeed interfere with the focusser. I also have the older Zeiss 85mm Diascope, with the neoprene 'sock', and I think it's a pity helical-focus scope manufacturers have never come up with something similar, but in two pieces, to leave the focusser completely free of any rubbing. An easy home-fix, with a half-metre of neoprene and some needle and thread!

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 14th March 2015, 09:31   #44
miksik
photo and birds lover

Hi Martin,

enclosed you can see other photos. For me the case have minimal influence on the focus (it looks that some interference exists but it is minimal and have only slight influence).

However I have to mention that nowadays version of S2 have better focussing - older one little scraped.

http://www.natureblink.com/scope1.jpg http://www.natureblink.com/scope1.jpg
[email protected]
www.natureblink.com
Old Monday 27th April 2015, 07:19   #45
Houdiny

I am now the proud owner of a smartphone adapter (da-1 butterfly), as the one I built was only working with my wife's iPhone 6 and not with my 6+.
Very easy to set up and adapt to different phones btw.
I am having some problems with the tripod adapter of the Meostar. It does not turn easily anymore (it took a small hit but I think it shouldn't have been damaged by that), so I am sending it in to see what Meopta can do about that.
I am still surprised how good the scope handles very difficult lighting situations. This one was taken with very little light (well, at least for a smartphone camera).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	541495  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: