• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pennsylvania,USA:Need Backyard Hawk ID (1 Viewer)

rwpierce

I took some quick photos out of my kitchen window this afternoon of this hawk perching near my bird feeders. I did not get any look at the front of the bird, but I managed to get a somewhat close-up of the tail feathers and an overall of the whole bird. It has that orangey/rusty head with pale yellow eyes, but I see no white on the bottom of the tail feathers to trust a Cooper's ID. The upper wings also have a slight reddish cast. I am wondering if it is an immature Red-shouldered Hawk. I have had the adult Red-shouldered in the neighborhood recently.
Any ID help or discussion would be appreciated and instructional.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Backyard Hawk 1.jpg
    Backyard Hawk 1.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Backyard Hawk 2.jpg
    Backyard Hawk 2.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 81
Hi rwpierce,

Not Red-shouldered, at least - they have much narrower light bands in the tail, and characteristic bands in the secondaries (more obvious in adults, but still visable in second-years like this). I think it's a second-year Broad-winged, which has a tail like this, and shows some rufous edging in the shoulder. Kind of surprised to see that there's one in PA already, but then, things are weird this winter - despite the extreme cold, we've already recorded a Purple Martin in Ontario this spring (though I'm sure it didn't stay long).

Peter

For sure an Accipiter and best choice is Sharp-shinned Hawk. Compare with a Buteo, BWH below.

JanJ

Attachments

• broad-winged-hawk.jpg
    broad-winged-hawk.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 37
I think it is a juv. Coopers. Medium orangeish colored iris. If I could see a bluish-gray nape and a darker crown I would go for Sharp-shin.

Its tail is partially spread and looks wider and shorter than we normally see them.

Bob

Last edited:
Juv. Sharpie for me. Head shape, rufous across back and neck, barely a hint of white on the tail, looks to be quite small compared to the lichens, etc.

I went out to the tree where this bird was perched and measured the branch.
The branch measures 3 inches.
With that knowledge, this bird is about 11 inches long, so that would put it more in the Sharp-shinned ID than Cooper's.
Does this make sense to you all???

I went out to the tree where this bird was perched and measured the branch.
The branch measures 3 inches.
With that knowledge, this bird is about 11 inches long, so that would put it more in the Sharp-shinned ID than Cooper's.
Does this make sense to you all???
It certainly does.

Info from Wheelers has Male Coopers at 14-16 inches long. Female Sharp-shins at 11-13 inches long. "Males are considerably smaller than females. MALE.-- Length: 9-11 in."

If you are sure about the measurement it would be a Sharp-shin.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back