• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Birds from Sichuan, China (1 Viewer)

Sasquatch Fingers

International Man of Leisure
I apologize for not spending as much time identifying these as I could have. My head's in a bad place right now, which makes it really hard to focus on these they way I should. There will be a series of posts in this thread with different birds, which I'll tag with a letter or something so they can be differentiated when discussing. Most of these are pretty distinctive and I could probably figure on my own if I had superior Google-Fu or a better foundation of bird groups.

Bird A. These were all taken at Tangjiahe National Park in ... March? April? Thereabouts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 11.50.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 11.50.53 AM.png
    170.9 KB · Views: 23
Bird B. This may be related (female? juvenile?) of a later bird in this series. Maybe. My mind is not clear.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 11.51.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 11.51.08 AM.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 43
Bird C. Hung out in groups, foraging on the ground. Laughingthrush of some sort?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 11.51.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 11.51.23 AM.png
    242.4 KB · Views: 43
Bird D. Unless I lost count somewhere. This is the one I thought might have been related to the other, but this picture is terrible quality. It was really hard to focus in the dense foliage.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 11.51.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 11.51.37 AM.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 29
Bird E. Saw one of these playing in the snow at Huanglong two days before.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 11.53.24 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 11.53.24 AM.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 22
ok, in the absence of other replies, id go for:

1. Long-tailed Minivet
2. Phylloscopus sp
3. White-throated Laughingthrush
4. Seicercus sp ('Golden-spectacled' complex)
5. White-collared Yuhina

not sure if all the above even occur in Siichuan though!

EDIT, ah, cross-posted with Grahame

ok, in the absence of other replies, id go for:

1. Long-tailed Minivet
2. Phylloscopus sp
3. White-throated Laughingthrush
4. Seicercus sp ('Golden-spectacled' complex)
5. White-collared Yuhina

not sure if all the above even occur in Siichuan though!

EDIT, ah, cross-posted with Grahame

They do. Would need better images of B & D.

Sorry Larry!

Grahame

That's the only even remotely useful image of D, but I can probably find some lower quality, but different angles on B. Let me look through them again. Thanks for the help, folks!

Bird B, alternate angle. In retrospect, this image isn't significantly worse than the other one and shows more of the plumage, so would have been a better choice from the start.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 9.44.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 9.44.18 PM.png
    267.8 KB · Views: 23
Bird D, alternate. Is still wildly out of focus, but you can see the coloration on the nape, if it helps at all.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 9.49.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 9.49.53 PM.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 22
And I'm now lamenting that I didn't get even one shot of the female minivet. They were too far away to see how beautiful they were with the naked eye, they were mostly just blurs of color. Even in my viewfinder, I was mostly concentrating on tracking the patch of color as it moved rapidly through the branches rather than appreciating their beauty. Perhaps I should occasionally leave the camera at home and just go birding with binoculars instead.

B. The phylloscopus warbler is one or other of the 'Blyth's Leaf/White-tailed Leaf complex, probably either Claudia's or Kloss's on range but without tail pattern I'll pass. You need to examine the pattern of white in the tail which is best viewed from below.

D. I'd like to better views of the wing and forehead but I think you might well be correct in calling it a Grey-crowned.

Grahame

Last edited:
I'm looking through my massive quantity of blurry and otherwise crummy shots. Would the tail need to be fanned to observe the difference in the pattern?

I'm looking through my massive quantity of blurry and otherwise crummy shots. Would the tail need to be fanned to observe the difference in the pattern?

From above yes. A more likely scenario is to get an image (from below) which shows the bird's under tail. The pattern of the under tail seen well can aid ID. And occasionally Kloss's show a dark tip to the lower mandible but in this instance the absence of a dark tip does not help!

Grahame

These are all the shots I've got, blurry and pixelated as they are. It was always well shaded, so I had to tweak the gamma and the exposure so any contrast at all could be seen on the underside of the tail at all. To me, these mostly all look the same, but perhaps a more trained eye may take more from any one photo than I could from all of them.

Attachments

• DSC_5624.JPG
    DSC_5624.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_5632.JPG
    DSC_5632.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_5651.JPG
    DSC_5651.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_5670.JPG
    DSC_5670.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_5775.JPG
    DSC_5775.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 14
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back