• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When Kangaroos Attack ! (1 Viewer)

Tigers, Leopards, Kangaroos, aggressive snakes - I really think where you go bird watching is much more dangerous.

I don't live out in the middle of the wilderness and where I live in NJ (the burbs) is so fragmented and crawling with humans. The odds of encountering an aggressive Bear or pack of Coyotes is very low.
I do have a friend who sent me pics last year of a Mountain Lion just walking through her backyard and she gets Bears occasionally going to the bird feeders. If she leaves anything out at night that could attract Bears, they will come. She is in the real woods and wild in upstate NY. It's quite a difference from where I live in the burbs of NJ.

I think having Kanagroos come through a suburban neighborhood (like in your photo) would be fascinating , but also quite intimidating. We have White-tailed Deer living in our neighborhoods, but they pose no threat. They are very rarely Bucks. They are way more scared of humans , but there is the danger of car accidents.
I had a Doe run into the side of my while driving (came out of nowhere). It did some damage, but I was way more worried about her. She ran into small patch of woods near a park and disappeared...I felt terrible she had to suffer like that. I saw a guy run into a fawn who obviously had broken bones. The driver had a look of horror and sadness watching the fawn limp away. I called the cops to have the Deer put down. They live on tiny patches of woods. It's so fragmented where I live...just too many people.

Packs: I think seeing a single Coyote wouldn't frighten me too much, but a pack is something to be very concerned about and any pack whether it be Dingoes or Coyotes is frightening !

I have only come across Snakes a few times and both were harmless Garters and the other non-venomous as well.

I have to say I think I am more afraid of human drifters and weirdos. I go bird watching alone the majority of the time and when I am out there maybe a mile or so from my car in the middle of the woods I do worry about running into scary humans. I had a couple of weird incidents; One was a guy who came out of nowhere. I sensed someone and he was next to me and started talking. Thankfully, I was near the parking lot but not another sole around. I got a creep vibe from him right from the start. He made small talk and then asked me about my car and was talking about his and then popped the trunk and said..."hey look at the size of this trunk...it's huge". I did not move as he walked over to the back of his car. He was saying..."come on over and have a look at this trunk". I walked away and got in my car.
Another incident was a drifter who was just coming onto a trail while I was getting off of it (thank god), but he gave me a creepy look and I thought oh wow...that would suck being way out there and coming across this one.

Be careful out there !
GG,

The Leopard and Tiger weren't out here! - that was years ago on holiday in Nepal/India - The Royal Chitwan National Park was closed because of a visit by the King's brother or something .... hence no Elephant or Jeep tours available, so we organised a "tour" on foot with some "guides" we had been playing cards and drinking wacky tea with the day before. They came armed with sticks! After the 'Roar', I could see the whites of our guides eyes, and figured that things weren't real flash .... I will never forget the power of that roar - it sounded like a big block chev - such power! and the whole jungle freaked out. Longest 3 hours of my life walking out of there ..... :eek!:

It's likely we do have some sort of escaped Black Panthers here --- the footage I saw from out at Windamere Dam NSW showed a Panther jump straight up 10ft from a standing start onto a tree stump - it was in that region that I saw the tracks. Very strange that footage seems to have disappeared, but most of it is contained in this link below. @6:22 is out at Windamere Dam, near Mudgee NSW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BelReWvzF6o

As well as the native hazards, Unfortunately we have plenty of ferals in this country too - pigs (some massive razorbacks over ~400lb), goats, deer, dogs, foxes, cats, brumbies, camels, buffalo (in the top end), rats, and mice - thanks very much England! Then there are probably Panthers, and maybe even Yowies ! :eek!: (like your Big Foot). Thankfully though I haven't encountered too many human ferals and weirdos --- be careful! I hope you have some sort of emergency device, pepper spray etc. Your instincts sound good too :t:

True to the stereotypical 'kangaroos hopping down the main street' image people from overseas do have of us, I actually did see a 5ft kangaroo hopping down the street in the middle of town (Gulgong, NSW) like he owned the joint - and the street was called 'Mayne' Street ! :-O

The snakes are dangerous though because they are highly venomous, and like your area with deer, motor vehicle collisions with roos are all too frequent. I think all of these recent roo encounters though are due to suburban sprawl - no wonder they're confused and cranky and bashing on the window! :eek!:

Take care out there o:)

Chosun :gh:

GG,

The Leopard and Tiger weren't out here! - that was years ago on holiday in Nepal/India - The Royal Chitwan National Park was closed because of a visit by the King's brother or something .... hence no Elephant or Jeep tours available, so we organised a "tour" on foot with some "guides" we had been playing cards and drinking wacky tea with the day before. They came armed with sticks! After the 'Roar', I could see the whites of our guides eyes, and figured that things weren't real flash .... I will never forget the power of that roar - it sounded like a big block chev - such power! and the whole jungle freaked out. Longest 3 hours of my life walking out of there ..... :eek!:

Please excuse my ignorance. I actually thought that didn't sound right when I first read it especially the Tiger.

I've developed an absolutely reliable, completely fail-safe way of avoiding all risk of being beat up by kangaroos :t:

Don't visit Australia 3:) 8-P

Very interesting article detailing attacks on cyclists, joggers, and golfers - it somewhat tongue in cheek postulates that: "If you didn’t know any better, you’d think Australia’s best-known native mammal had a grudge against people who exercise." !
Article titled "Why do kangaroos attack cyclists, joggers, golfers?" | Adelaide Now.

Soz folks, having difficulty providing a link which doesn't run into a premium content pay wall. The article provides many accounts not listed elsewhere of attacks on people engaged in outdoor sporting /hobby pursuits - perhaps something about the movement and reduced assessment time sends the roos straight into instinctual mode?, and when it's mating time (which is most of the time), and /or you're in their territory (just about everywhere - mating rights), that often results in "fight" :eek!:

I originally managed to read this article (but only the once) by going via a Google search.

Last edited:
What to do if you encounter a roo

2m tall kangaroo is the largest NSW Department of Primary Industry officer has ever seen. It was 'standing tall' to assert it's dominance ..... he advised making yourself smaller than the roo to avoid confrontation .....
http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...k/news-story/002012fccc21e98b3ce8ce0e50cef918

What to do if you come face to face with a kangaroo: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/k...cetoface-with-a-kangaroo-20170117-gtt8o2.html

This is great Safety advice - the most helpful and sensible I have seen published. Basically keep your distance - make yourself small and non-threatening and remove yourself from the situation. Under no circumstance go all hairy chested and macho and 'size up' to the roo which will only provoke the situation. Of course if an actual attack does take place by all means fight like a b*st*rd but try and remove yourself ASAP.

Last edited:
Kangaroo Attacks Golfers

Man, and woman who came to his aid, attacked on golf course:
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...t-hope-island-golf-course/8764230?pfmredir=sm

Golf has been a risky activity for quite a while here! ..... unless these things have taken to eating golf balls! :eek!: the issue is less about being fed, and more territorial (mating and feeding grounds) .... I'm not at all certain that the advice given ("crouch down and growl") to avoid an attack, is very good at all .....
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...l/news-story/85d75b7e5e0b6d820c90d4892f7078fa

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...s/news-story/3e9b2fb769027558bae3c9f8d711b339

Last edited:
Even V8 Supercars aren't safe! .... thankfully no contact made this year, and both roos and drivers unharmed. The roos must be quite confused by all the big noisy 'beasts' invading their patch .....
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...g/news-story/f6e4d0918958d2af19e44aa13c2b5de0
http://www.centralwesterndaily.com....oramas-kangaroos-is-the-answer-video/?cs=2378

Not just a one off event - it's almost an annual appearance - some previous near misses - some remarkable! The drivers go to great lengths to avoid hitting roos - a roo through the windshield could kill a driver despite the plethora of roll bars and cages inside etc.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=htTo4mGXqsk
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lupfuSaj790

Of course there have been cases where it's V8 1 : Skippy 0, but that's too sad and gruesome to show.

Last edited:
I meet them often. my defence against the boomer is to immediately turn around and walk the other way. a much small;ler kangaroo than a boomer is too much for the average man to handle. boomers are well known for using water to defeat agressors...including man!when I lived in Britain roe deer were to be avoided! they could kill your dog and put you in hospital. it never
happened very often but it did happen!

... but they're so lovable! this one kicked my picnic set over to get a good spot in the shade
i always told my kids to look away and back off looking out of corner of eyes only and if aporoached aggressively to drop to ground and curl up really tight and freeze. or simply rlf
but tbh never had an incident. maybe because this mob grew up in my paddock over several generations and knew us?
they did drown a couple of feral dogs in the dam over the years.

19260381_736356769907286_9034122686124286155_n.jpg

... but they're so lovable! this one kicked my picnic set over to get a good spot in the shade
i always told my kids to look away and back off looking out of corner of eyes only and if aporoached aggressively to drop to ground and curl up really tight and freeze. or simply rlf
but tbh never had an incident. maybe because this mob grew up in my paddock over several generations and knew us?
they did drown a couple of feral dogs in the dam over the years.

View attachment 661389
Jape - he certainly looks like he owns the joint !

They become quite territorial over access to a patch that gives them shade, lush grass and/or water, and a welcome respite from dogs.

I think you have given your kids pretty good advice. Evidence and advice accumulated in the various posts on this thread suggests that roos take direct eye contact as a challenge which would only inflame the situation.

Backing off is good advice - remove yourself from any developing situation. I'm not too sure about the "drop to ground and curl up really tight and freeze" though .... a few people as detailed in reports posted on this thread have been absolutely smashed by dropping to the ground - screaming seems to make it worse ! :eek!: with one lady reporting the attack only stopped once she stopped screaming ! ..... something that I imagine is difficult to do when you're getting the absolute crap ripped and beaten out of you !

Your "rlf" advice made me smile, and I think is sound. If given no option I'd also add "flab" (fight like a b*st*rd ! :) - best employed by taking the earliest opportunity to "rlf" ! :-O Climb a tree might also be good - probably more easily managed by spritely kids than adults !

'Rogue' Kangaroo invades soccer pitch and stops game

Perhaps this is a good omen for our Socceroos in the World Cup? ;)
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/surpri...soccer-match-in-canberra-20180624-p4zngd.html

The footage does show how easily stressed and spurred to flight or fight mode roos can become - thankfully in this instance there was a fair bit of space, and he stuck to 'flight' .... well after a period of lay down "I own the joint" relaxation in front of the goals ! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back