Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The eBird/Clements Checklist v2017

Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 20:04   #1
Peter Kovalik

The eBird/Clements Checklist v2017

eBird Latest News:

2017 eBird taxonomy update coming—15 August
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 15:06   #2
lewis20126

I wonder if there will be any 'novel' splits or whether there will 'just' be further convergence with the IOC list. We'll see..

cheers, alan
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 15:22   #3
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis20126 View Post
I wonder if there will be any 'novel' splits or whether there will 'just' be further convergence with the IOC list. We'll see..
Presumably it'll be all the updates from the last AOU change a couple of months ago (split Lesser Redpoll, etc.)
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 15:32   #4
lewis20126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Presumably it'll be all the updates from the last AOU change a couple of months ago (split Lesser Redpoll, etc.)
well yes, for the Americas there will just be AOU, SACC alignment but elsewhere....

cheers, alan
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 21:53   #5
andyadcock

Personal question chaps, don't worry, not 'how big is it' your list that is.......

I decided long ago to adopt the IOC like many others and I just do not have the inclination to keep abreast of the others, so, can I ask why so many, so closely follow the other list changes, updates etc when it's not the list you keep?

Is it curiosity, is it so you can compare your Clements list to someone elses even though you use the IOC or vice versa? Do you submit lists to be ranked in each list or just keep a note yourself, just seems like a lot of work to me!

A
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 22:00   #6
lewis20126

errr, just follow Clements, no idea what is in IOC overall but obviously am aware of many...

cheers, a
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 23:22   #7
Paul Clapham

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Personal question chaps, don't worry, not 'how big is it' your list that is.......

I decided long ago to adopt the IOC like many others and I just do not have the inclination to keep abreast of the others, so, can I ask why so many, so closely follow the other list changes, updates etc when it's not the list you keep?

Is it curiosity, is it so you can compare your Clements list to someone elses even though you use the IOC or vice versa? Do you submit lists to be ranked in each list or just keep a note yourself, just seems like a lot of work to me!
In my case I keep track of several lists and I keep track of what species I've seen in all of them. It's a lot of work getting that set up, true (but it's a pretty harmless hobby). But once it's set up then applying the updates isn't a lot of work. For example once I put in the changes lumping Thayers Gull with Iceland Gull, my lists are automatically recalculated.
2020 (HBW (Dec 2018 snapshot) -- 18.4% of 10967); 2020 (BLI Version 3 -- 18.2% of 11126)
Old Tuesday 15th August 2017, 07:29   #8
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Clapham View Post
In my case I keep track of several lists and I keep track of what species I've seen in all of them. It's a lot of work getting that set up, true (but it's a pretty harmless hobby). But once it's set up then applying the updates isn't a lot of work. For example once I put in the changes lumping Thayers Gull with Iceland Gull, my lists are automatically recalculated.
No criticism intended, I just know how much work it would be and I couldn't be bothered with it.

A
Old Tuesday 15th August 2017, 14:25   #9
Mysticete

I follow IOC but keep track of Clements/ebird for several reasons

1) I like the "groups" that Clements uses, and keep track of these in case of future splits. IOC lists subspecies but does not having any sort of system that breaks subspecies into potential future splits, etc

2) It can be interesting to see where and how lists deviate, which can provide a sense of future taxonomic changes down the line.
Mammal: 230 Herp: 174
Old Wednesday 16th August 2017, 00:25   #10
mb1848

The eBird site says: "The annual eBird taxonomy update IS CURRENTLY UNDERWAY (Tuesday, 15 August). It is best if you DO NOT change your records for recent splits etc. until the taxonomy update is complete." But I just checked and I have seen an Iceland Gull in San Luis Obispo County! Just sitting in my armchair I became a much better birder. I tried unsucessfully for years to turn Thayer's Gulls into Iceland Gulls , eBird did it for me with the turn of a switch.

Last edited by mb1848 : Wednesday 16th August 2017 at 00:29.
Old Wednesday 16th August 2017, 02:14   #11
njlarsen
Opus Editor

As I think you are aware, ALL Thayer's gulls were turned into Icelands ...

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 16th August 2017, 02:41   #12
pbjosh

Quite curious to see the Clements 2017 update, eBird gave me a couple anticipated armchair ticks today and one unanticipated. No clue where or what...
Old Wednesday 16th August 2017, 05:54   #13
awiner

Clements 2016 -> 2017 differences

If people want to wade through in advance of the official announcement, here's a full set of differences (see the attached file). This is based on the API (http://ebird.org/ws1.1/ref/taxa/ebir...v&locale=en_US) diffed against the prior year's, and includes:
  • Differences in sequence
  • Differences in scientific name
  • Differences in common name

... and of course the always much-desired splits and lumps.

Lines starting with ">" are the old taxonomy, lines with "<" the new taxonomy (and everything else are sequence numbers etc.)
Attached Files
File Type: txt diffs.txt (47.9 KB, 212 views)
Old Wednesday 16th August 2017, 10:13   #14
gusasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by awiner View Post
If people want to wade through in advance of the official announcement, here's a full set of differences
Thanks! Had a quick glance and must have missed a lot, but I see a fairly modest update, dominated by hypnen revision! A quick glance at the list reveals (apart from NACC-changes, nomenclature issues plus English name changes, including the hyphens):

Splits
* Alignment with IOC
Arborophila campbelli
Arborophila rolli
Arborophila sumatrana
Collocalia splits
Eugenes spectabilis
Eunymphicus uvaeensis
Scytalopus alvarezlopezi
Turnagra split
Ptiloris intercedens
Pycnonotus conradi
Iole charlottae
Iole cacharensis
Zosterops ponapensis
Montecincla jerdoni
Montecincla meridionalis
Calliope tschebaiewi
Geospiza acutirostris
Geospiza septentrionalis
Geospiza propinqua
Melozone cabanisi

* New stuff (all are or have been IOC potential splits)
Myzomela nigriventris
Lophorina niedda
Lophorina minor

Lumps
Cyanomitra obscura is the only one I could find!

Generic changes
* Alignment with IOC
Anser-geese, Anas-ducks, Dendroperdix, Tetrastes, Ardea intermedia, Haliaeetus, Anous, Alopecoenas (finally!), Juliamyia, Carpodacus-assemblage, Carduelini, Myiomela, Sholicola, Montecincla.

* New stuff (compared to IOC, not a single one outside NACC/SACC):
Pseudoscops clamator to Asio (but not Jamaican Owl)
Mazaria split from Synallaxis
Sphenocichla roberti to Stachyris (correcting past mistake)
Saltator atricollis to Saltatricula
Hemispingus/Poospiza-mess
Diuca speculifera to Idiopsar
Phrygilus concolor & plebejus
Haplospiza rustica to Spodiornis
Ixothraupis split from Tangara (but not Stilpnia, which must leave the remaining Tangara paraphyletic, no?)
Cyanocompsa brissonii & cyanoides to Cyanoloxia

Last edited by gusasp : Wednesday 16th August 2017 at 12:03.
Old Thursday 17th August 2017, 10:58   #15
Melanie

Do they still use Anas strepera or do they changed it into Mareca?
Old Thursday 17th August 2017, 11:34   #16
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
Do they still use Anas strepera or do they changed it into Mareca?
If I understand the lay-out properly it is now Mareca.

Steve
Old Thursday 17th August 2017, 15:52   #17
Peter Kovalik

NEW August 2017 Updates & Corrections
Old Thursday 17th August 2017, 16:42   #18
Kratter

No changes to ordinal sequence? They passed on it last year and I thought for sure they would impose it in 2017 updates.

Andy
Old Thursday 17th August 2017, 18:42   #19
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratter View Post
No changes to ordinal sequence? They passed on it last year and I thought for sure they would impose it in 2017 updates.

Andy
Yes, my recollection is they said they would do it this year.

Also slightly surprised they are adding a whopping 11 new families, 5 of which are from the Carribean:
Modulatricidae (Dapple-throat and Allies); Rhodinocichlidae (Thrush-Tanager); Passerellidae (New World Buntings and Sparrows); Calyptophilidae (Chat-Tanagers); Phaenicophilidae (Hispaniolan Tanagers); Nesospingidae (Puerto Rican Tanager); Spindalidae (Spindalises); Zeledoniidae (Wrenthrush); Teretistridae (Cuban Warblers); Icteriidae (Yellow-breasted Chat); and Mitrospingidae (Mitrospingid Tanagers).
All have been discussed/recognized by others, so none are individual surprises, but this will now mean global family listers following Clements/eBird will have to add Cuba and Puerto Rico to their destination lists, plus pay more attention to central america.

I also believe several of the families are among the youngest so far recognized.

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 17th August 2017, 19:08   #20
mb1848

I really like how they show their work by citing references and links to BHL and other websites of those references.
Old Thursday 17th August 2017, 23:26   #21
Mysticete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M. View Post
Yes, my recollection is they said they would do it this year.

Also slightly surprised they are adding a whopping 11 new families, 5 of which are from the Carribean:
Modulatricidae (Dapple-throat and Allies); Rhodinocichlidae (Thrush-Tanager); Passerellidae (New World Buntings and Sparrows); Calyptophilidae (Chat-Tanagers); Phaenicophilidae (Hispaniolan Tanagers); Nesospingidae (Puerto Rican Tanager); Spindalidae (Spindalises); Zeledoniidae (Wrenthrush); Teretistridae (Cuban Warblers); Icteriidae (Yellow-breasted Chat); and Mitrospingidae (Mitrospingid Tanagers).
All have been discussed/recognized by others, so none are individual surprises, but this will now mean global family listers following Clements/eBird will have to add Cuba and Puerto Rico to their destination lists, plus pay more attention to central america.

I also believe several of the families are among the youngest so far recognized.
Most of those were part of this years AOU checklist update, so it makes sense they would show up in the ebird updates
Mammal: 230 Herp: 174
Old Friday 18th August 2017, 00:25   #22
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticete View Post
Most of those were part of this years AOU checklist update, so it makes sense they would show up in the ebird updates
True, I guess everything except Modulatricidae would be in the purview of the AOS (née AOU). Guess I was thinking that eBird/Clements would feel free to act more autonomously with respect to higher-level taxonomy, but that is probably not the case.

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 18th August 2017, 02:37   #23
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Excel file available now.

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 18th August 2017, 18:52   #24
mb1848

eBird taxonomy writeup:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/...pdate-for-2017 .
Very good job I love all the photos and the links to media of the changes.
Old Friday 18th August 2017, 19:30   #25
McMadd
You should see the other bloke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1848 View Post
eBird taxonomy writeup:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/...pdate-for-2017 .
Very good job I love all the photos and the links to media of the changes.
Great Gray Shrike...oh dear...*waits for Nutcracker to arrive*...

eBird: "Northern Shrike Lanius excubitor is split into two species. As with harriers, the familiar common names are retained for the New World and Old World, with the species of Europe and western Asia referred to as Great Gray Shrike Lanius excubitor and also retaining the scientific name. The species of the New World, Northern Shrike Lanius borealis has a scientific name change but shows no change in English name, retaining the preferred name in the Americas. However, Northern Shrike is very much a species of the Old World too, since it breeds west of central Siberia and northern Mongolia and winters widely in northern China, Japan, and Korea. Exact movements of the two species are complex and not well known, and field identification is very challenging, so Great Gray/Northern Shrike Lanius excubitor/borealis should be used liberally in Siberia, eastern Kazakhstan, and nearby areas. To add to the complexity, Northern Shrike has occurred as a trans-Atlantic vagrant to western Europe (e.g., the Azores) and also as a vagrant or rare winter visitor (Lanius borealis sibiricus) to Ukraine at least."

and did Collar et al. really assess every bird species...?

eBird:"Many new subspecies groups were added this year, largely because we reviewed the world by Nigel Collar and the Birdlife International team, who assessed every bird in the world based on morphological and acoustic information and scored their relative distinctiveness (also known as the Tobias criteria)."

Illustrated Checklist of the Birds of the World Vol 1 Introduction, page 33

"Our ambition...has been to apply the Tobias criteria as fully as possible the global avifauna. However...this would be more than the work of half a lifetime.
...we prepared candidate lists for taxonomic inquiry..."

Nit-picky I know but it's my birthday tomorrow...humour (note the u) me...

McM
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: