• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help ID this bird (1 Viewer)

cmh

I saw this bird in Portland, OR, March 18th and again a few days later. In a wetland area in a city park (westmoreland park for anyone familiar with Portland).

Is it a color morph of a red winged blackbird? or a tri colored blackbird? Juvy of one of those?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• DSCF0300 Redwinged Blackbird, Juvy.jpg
    DSCF0300 Redwinged Blackbird, Juvy.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 77
Welcome to BirdForum, cmh. Your bird is not a juvenile. It looks like it has female or immature feathers on the underparts, with male feathers on the rest of its body, so it could be molting to adult male plumage. The non-black feathers look like Red-winged Blackbird feathers, so that is what I would call it.

The white in the tail, undertail coverts, and wing I don't think is found in any normal plumage of Red-winged Blackbird. I agree it is a young male of that species, but one that is a partial albino (or leucistic) individual.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back