Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

d5-equivalent mirrorless rumors

Old Monday 17th June 2019, 17:10   #1
marcsantacurz

d5-equivalent mirrorless rumors

Nikon Rumors has a posting that the Nikon CEO confirms there will be a D5-equivalent mirrorless, unknown timeline. Earlier NR thought it would be sometime in 2020. I assume it will be after the D6 upgrade for the Olympics.

Marc
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 21:26   #2
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

That's always been a mid-term goal. With the DSLR D6 taking care of 2020 Tokyo Olympics duties, and the next high-end Mirrorless set to be the high resolution 'Z8' (using Sony's 60MP chip?), I don't think I'd expect a Mirrorless D5 or 6 equivalent to be making a debut before 2023. I'd expect 2024 to be the Mirrorless Olympics ....

It would be interesting (though I think hardly helpful) if Nikon pegged the Mirrorless Pro at 'D5' levels rather than take over from the D6 ...... surely they wouldn't play that old (and obsolete) tune ....

Of course that means upgrading lenses as well (along the lines of Sony's new 600 f4 GM with it's uprated and future-proofed faster AF motors and communication pathways). The way to leapfrog Sony and clearly take the lens crown would be to incorporate Diffractive Optics into any upgraded supertelephotos and be the lightest Pro offering on the market. Sub 2.5kg 400 f2.8, 600 f4, and 800 f5.6 Z mount would be pretty sweet ...... I might be half a chance of hand holding them by then !

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Tuesday 18th June 2019 at 01:45.

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: