• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Report images in the Gallery with the wrong scientific name (1 Viewer)

There's three pictures in the Black-faced Cormorant Search that don't match

One is a Grebe species (but I don't know which one)

Another is titled "Great Cormorant" - is it?

The third is title "Pied Cormorant"

Could someone check these out please, so I can edit the photo details

D

Great Cormorant is correct, so I've changed the scientific name.

Pied Cormorant should be Black-faced, as Pied has a yellow face, so I've changed that one.

The other one is definitely a grebe, maybe Australasian Little Grebe by size and shape. Perhaps someone else can check this one out.

Great Cormorant is correct, so I've changed the scientific name.

Pied Cormorant should be Black-faced, as Pied has a yellow face, so I've changed that one.

The other one is definitely a grebe, maybe Australasian Little Grebe by size and shape. Perhaps someone else can check this one out.

Thanks for that Helen

The Grebe one is odd... I'm wondering if the OP changed the picture at a later date, as the text is all about a Cormorant:-O

D

The Grebe one is odd... I'm wondering if the OP changed the picture at a later date, as the text is all about a Cormorant:-O

I just looked again and see that Mark Bruce commented on the photo when it was first uploaded. He says he thinks its a grebe and not a cormorant. Have a look at the Opus page for best match of grebe species. The OP thinks it's a cormorant fledgling, presumably because of the size.

I've sent a PM to the OP to ask him to check out his photo.

Last edited:
I just looked again and see that Mark Bruce commented on the photo when it was first uploaded. He says he thinks its a grebe and not a cormorant. Have a look at the Opus page for best match of grebe species. The OP thinks it's a cormorant fledgling, presumably because of the size.

I've sent a PM to the OP to ask him to check out his photo.

LOL I'd not got as far as looking at the comments - just the OPs description.

Thanks for contacting him, Helen.

D

A search for Anthus spinoletta returns several Rock Pipits (posted using pre-split name). The Rock pipits need to be changed to Anthus petrosus.

This picture comes up in a search for Brown Pelican, (Pelecanus occidentalis) but it was photographed in India?

Can someone advise the correct scientific name for it please.

D

Well spotted Delia - I think it was taken at Indian River, Florida!

I've moved it to the correct gallery forum. Looks like it was my fault as it may have been a previous competition entry from the looks of it.

Well spotted Delia - I think it was taken at Indian River, Florida!

I've moved it to the correct gallery forum. Looks like it was my fault as it may have been a previous competition entry from the looks of it.

LOL Ian.... did you add the Florida bit on? I'm sure it wasn't there before:gh:

Thanks for sorting though

D

ps that's another thing I've learnt today then - I'd not heard of India River before.

The Gallery Search for Australasian Pipit shows a number of Richard's Pipits, particularly on the second page.

I suppose they come from a pre-split time?

Is it OK to change all of these to Anthus richardi ?

D

The Gallery Search for Australasian Pipit shows a number of Richard's Pipits, particularly on the second page.

I suppose they come from a pre-split time?

Is it OK to change all of these to Anthus richardi ?

D

I think some of these (for example the very first one where the photo was from Adelaide) has the correct scientific name but the wrong common name. You should probably go by location. Some Australian field guides still list these as Richard's.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back