• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mount Vitosha & Sofia Advice (1 Viewer)

2520years

Lurking in the bushes is wrong.
Hi everyone!

I’m going for a week in June and I’m hiring a car.

I haven’t been before and I’ll have three uninterested friends with me, so I want to use my time wisely.

Could anyone offer any advice about where to go? We’re staying adjacent to South Park.

I’m sure I can get them up Mount Vitosha one day, but it looks like a big area(!)

Thanks for any advice, it’s all appreciated.

Andy :t:

Hi Andy,

I would definitely recommend you visit Vitosha, it is no distance at all! If you take the road from Dragalevtsi you can drive all the way up to the gondola lift station at Aleko and park there (try to avoid the weekend, especially Sunday as most of Sofia will also be heading up there!).
Beautiful scenery and great views over the city and the surrounding plains should be enough to encourage your non-birding friends.
Bird-wise Crossbills, Nutcrackers and Ravens should be easy with Willow and Coal Tits also around.
If you want to venture further afield the Rila Mountains are about an hour to the South and offer some great birding. Alternatively you have the Dragoman Marsh about 20 miles to the NW of Sofia.
If you want any further information don't hesitate to ask!

Chris

Thanks Chris, that’s great. If I get a few hours I’ll drive up to Dragoman, it sounds good. Vitosha will be a tourist day with a sneaky scope at hand.

If I think of anything nearer the time I’ll come back on here.

Cheers!

I've got a great list of birds I might see at Dragoman Marsh, but I can't find much of a list for Mount Vitosha.

The list above "Crossbills, Nutcrackers and Ravens should be easy with Willow and Coal Tits also around" makes me think there should be others too..?

In May/June would there be other species around?

Thanks!

In May/June would there be other species around?

Thanks!

Hi Andy,

For sure! I was justing listing some that would be 'easy' even with your non-birding friends in tow! According to the NP's website about 200 species can be seen there, around 120 of which breed there!
Of course your chances will increase the more you can get 'off the beaten track', but you could add Bullfinch, Black and GS Woodpeckers and 'crests in the Spruce forests. Hazel Hen is possible (though not easy) in the mixed forest.
In the open Sub-Alpine regions Horned Lark, Water Pipit, Ring Ouzel and Alpine Accentor are possible. Keep your eyes open for Long-legged Buzzard, Goshawk, Pallid Swift and Crag Martin too!

Hope this helps,

Chris

Hi Andy,

For sure! I was justing listing some that would be 'easy' even with your non-birding friends in tow! According to the NP's website about 200 species can be seen there, around 120 of which breed there!
Of course your chances will increase the more you can get 'off the beaten track', but you could add Bullfinch, Black and GS Woodpeckers and 'crests in the Spruce forests. Hazel Hen is possible (though not easy) in the mixed forest.
In the open Sub-Alpine regions Horned Lark, Water Pipit, Ring Ouzel and Alpine Accentor are possible. Keep your eyes open for Long-legged Buzzard, Goshawk, Pallid Swift and Crag Martin too!

Hope this helps,

Chris

Wow, thanks Chris! I appreciate your help. I may have to return on my own!

You're most welcome Andy!

There's certainly plenty to see here, I'm off to the Rila Mountains myself the end of this month looking for capercaillie, Pygmy and Tengmalm's Owl!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back