• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (2 Viewers)

Hope you enjoy it Andy. I think that the next volume is published in June to get in before the new Walkers Mammals volume is issued.

I don't think that the proposed publishing date in June will be uphold. By the way the book title has been changed into Insectivores, Sloths and Colugos.

Last edited:
On first glance, many of the small rodents in Vol 7 will remain, unidentified for me and I'm surprised that such a seminal work, does not include illustrations of dentition?

I also find it odd that these volumes, rarely, print on the back of the illustration pages, cheapens the look somewhat for me?

A

.............I also find it odd that these volumes, rarely, print on the back of the illustration pages, cheapens the look somewhat for me?

A

That is a very smart policy as the likelihood of getting the print to show though is very high. Evidence being the last book by Bill Cooper on pigeons and doves of Australia. They did a second printing supposedly using denser paper. But as I have shown in another thread, the difference was rather minor.

Last edited:
Lynx website advises that volume 8 will be published in June 2018. A list of the families covered is shown on the website, all orders other than bats that have not already been covered will be included. A special chapter on Conservation priorities for several orders will be included.
And Melanie will be pleased to know that it is now titled Insectivores sloths and colugos

That is very good news indeed. Though I also think they will not be able to uphold that publication date. But I'll be happy if it is not shifted too far into the future. At any rate, this will now become one of my favorite volumes, I'm sure. :t: Lots of groups I know very little about.

This will be the volume with the lowest number of color plates, according to the LYNX info.

Last edited:
That is a very smart policy as the likelihood of getting the print to shine though is very high. Evidence being the last book by Bill Cooper on pigeons and doves of Australia. They did a second printing supposedly using denser paper. But as I have shown in another thread, the difference was rather minor.

When you say 'shine', do you mean that the print will show through on the plate?

They do print on the back of some plates though.

A

There is also an updated edition of Walkers Mammals of The World:
https://www.nhbs.com/series/walkers-mammals-of-the-world

Unfortunately it covers only small part of mammals, and it is not clear if further volumes will be printed. Nevertheless, I liked earlier editions. Not least, because while HMW is 'stuck in the present', Walkers dealt also with historic distribution of mammals which was often much broader than handful of todays reserves.

one of my favorites!

Got a message yesterday that my book has been sent.o:)

My copy arrived today, and I'm fascinated. Shrews can't get me very much excited, but they make up maybe a third or less. It's that other major part that has me captivated. Like always, superb illustrations, including some birds as predators.

So there is one more volume to go, wonder how long we'll have to wait for it. Volume 8's appearance was surprisingly fast after the previous one.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back