Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Female house finch and...(Arizona)

Old Wednesday 21st December 2011, 15:10   #1
AdAstra09

Female house finch and...(Arizona)

Hi, all:

Two more birds from Arizona. The first I think is a female house finch (based on beak, barring on the breast and the fact I saw a male house finch in this same tree an hour earlier. The second is of a bird that was way up in the trees in the zoo. I didn't think I got a shot of them they were moving so fast, but I was going through my stream, and lo and behold a single shot! Whatever these birds are they are tiny, yellowish green, and there are a ton of them at the Phoenix zoo. Also, I have two questions. A couple of months ago, I was seeing male and female HOSP. Now I only see groups of males wherever I go. Are the females just super discreet, or do males and females split up during the winter. And lastly, I know this is a bird forum, but does anyone recognize what kind of tree is in the last two shots? I ask because it is in my apartment complex and thus far I have seen 5 species of birds eating the seeds: house finches, house sparrows, verdin, inca dove, and one unidentified that I have not managed to photograph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	female house finch.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	361580  Click image for larger version

Name:	zoo bird.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	361581  Click image for larger version

Name:	wildlife tree I.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	361582  Click image for larger version

Name:	wildlife tree II.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	361583  
"She carries a lot of suitcases but all of them are empty because she's expecting to completely fill them with life by the end of this trip & then she'll come home & sort everything out & do it all again." ~ story people
Old Wednesday 21st December 2011, 15:18   #2
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2018

Agree on the House Finch. The second bird looks like a Yellow-rumped Warbler.

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 21st December 2011, 15:28   #3
Parula6

From what I can see, the first pic looks good for female House Finch. Second bird looks to be a Yellow-rumped Warbler of the Audubon's variety. I believe your tree is a Chinese Elm, Ulmus parvifolia. This species sets copious amounts of fruit favored by a wide variety of birds -- I've seen parrots dining on it in Australia.
Old Wednesday 21st December 2011, 17:25   #4
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Agree on the birds, but not so sure about the tree which strikes me as a little too smooth-barked for a Chinese elm, at least for the ones I have in my backyard. The seeds & leaves look good for Chinese elm, however.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 22nd December 2011, 03:09   #5
prattw
Desert Rat

Ulmus parvifolia has a lot of cultivars. That's likely one of them.

Will
Old Thursday 22nd December 2011, 03:22   #6
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by prattw View Post
Ulmus parvifolia has a lot of cultivars.Will
I just did a little googling & you're right, it has, something I didn't know & am glad that I now do. Thanks for the info.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 22nd December 2011, 03:37   #7
AdAstra09

Thanks for the info re: birds and tree. I like to keep note of all the wildlife friendly trees for when I finally have my own house. And I never would have guessed the the yellow rumped warbler. Just goes to show how skewed perception can be. I would have sworn that the bird was completely yellow, yet looking at my own photos it's clear the back is grey. Go figure.
"She carries a lot of suitcases but all of them are empty because she's expecting to completely fill them with life by the end of this trip & then she'll come home & sort everything out & do it all again." ~ story people
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: