• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski must have fixed the glare issues in the SV 8x32. (1 Viewer)

Dennis's Post #79 demonstrates perfectly why the myth will never die.
You could be right and it could be a myth but we are both just guessing as if there were any changes made without dissecting the binocular. No, I am not sending you mine to dissect.;) Swarovski, is the only one that knows for sure.

Last edited:
Honestly, the purpose of this thread is to extol the virtues of a binocular by its' owner, as it is necessary for any such binocular to be regarded as ''the best'' or ''flawless'' [by popular opinion]....or else it goes back to the auction site.

I've seen this movie more times than I have seen Star Wars.
Really! You like it that much.;)

"For example, my lowly 8x42 Terra can handle this sort of situation without a hint of any glare".

James, I know you like Zeiss and so do I, but the Terra?

Andy W.
Honestly, you kind of have to be a Zeiss Boi to own a Terra.;) There are many less expensive binoculars that outperform it. But I CAN understand wanting the brand name and the support and recognition that go along with it and they are a solid binocular. Honestly, the thing that turned me off about the Terra is how DIM or NOT bright they are! I am just can't tolerate a binocular with less than 85% transmission. I figured being a Zeiss they would at least be pretty bright. I didn't expect HT or SF bright but it shocked me how dim they were!

Last edited:
No Dennis, they don't look at all the same.

There are fewer reflections in the 8.5x42 and they are farther away from the edge of a larger exit pupil. The single bright ring, which is the closest reflection to the exit pupil, has a diameter of about 5.7mm, so it's much less likely to enter the eye than the problematic reflections in the 8x32.

Last edited:
Unless the interior of the 8x32 is much different...

Hmm...can we in fact assume the 10x32 and 8x32 are similar internally? Denco - any chance you could take some shots of your 8x32 FP?

NB. I'd be delighted to help assess the two versions if any owners in the Greater London area fancy arranging a side by side comparison!

...which kind of begs the question - which binoculars do you favour in this situation, and which others have you tried that also perform well?

Cheers,
Patudo

Of the ones I own now - Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42,
Swarovski EL FP 8.5x42 and also Fujinon FMTR-SX 8x30. The Nikon Eii 8x30 are also fairly "quiet" optically - for my eyes.

Look at these false pupils in the Zeiss 8x42 FL. Way more distinct than the SV FP 8x32!

Attachments

• 985_czv_odbl_op.jpg
    985_czv_odbl_op.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Honestly, you kind of have to be a Zeiss Boi to own a Terra.;) There are many less expensive binoculars that outperform it. But I CAN understand wanting the brand name and the support and recognition that go along with it and they are a solid binocular. Honestly, the thing that turned me off about the Terra is how DIM or NOT bright they are! I am just can't tolerate a binocular with less than 85% transmission. I figured being a Zeiss they would at least be pretty bright. I didn't expect HT or SF bright but it shocked me how dim they were!

You need to read the whole quote and not simply parse the parts you choose to make a point.

Sorry to intrude: minor correction to my post #47 in this thread: just noticed the error. Having quoted from another thread what I say about veiling glare with regard to the Zeiss Victory 8x25 and given a link to that post I add: "PS. What I say in that post about glare in that model is qualified in my next post." It is in fact not in my next post but several posts later on the same page in post #74 of that thread. There I say: "The veiling glare I write of above is only noticed in a 'side by side' comparison vs 'alpha'-class optics with bigger objective lenses."

James,

Now to get really off topic, I have the Terra 8X42 and it is a nice glass during the day like some of my other older glass Nikon HG/LX etc..., but the focus is so lightening quick on mine with a bit of free play, not that bad but it is there. IF the focus was more firm I would use it more.

Now back to the quest for glare in the SV 8X32...or the 10X32... I hardly use any small aperture (32mm) anymore save the SE and the FL.

Andy W.

The 32mm Swaros (both the SV and FP versions) have glare issues (which are exacerbated in the 10x32 by the smaller EP). The effect of glare on the view may be reduced to some extent by moving the eyes towards the upper edge of the EP, which might explain why some people don't see any glare in the 32mm SV/FP. Btw, the "eyebrow technique", sometimes used to avoid the blackout issues of binos with too much ER, has the opposite effect of making the glare even more visible.

IMO, pic one isn't that challenging for glare - sun is low and weak and seen head-on. Glare, flare etc., in my experience is bad when the sun is off-axis and there is a lot of brilliant scatter.

For example, my lowly 8x42 Terra can handle this sort of situation without a hint of any glare.

I wouldn't want to have the sun in my field of view under any circumstances, but I agree with James' comments in his post #67 above that the sun in Torview's post 62 is low and not as strong as it can be. Even so, I think it'd still be more than able to induce glare in many of the binoculars I've tried. A very bright sun outside, but getting dangerously close to your field of view will likewise induce a lot of veiling glare in some/many binoculars. The only alpha I've been able to check out to my satisfaction in these conditions is the 8.5x42 SV FP and both my brother (its owner) and myself agree that it shows veiling glare under those conditions. I would really like to try it alongside one of those alphas that are noted as being better baffled (eg. Noctivid, EDG). I have tried a 7x42 Dialyt under similar conditions and thought it showed less veiling glare, but I'm not expert enough to say whether it was because the binocular had better baffling or because any reflections were not picked up thanks to the larger exit pupil. Regardless which binocular we use, though, we try our best to avoid these situations - carefully choosing our viewing positions etc.

I also recall at least one thread here (I have tried but cannot find it - my apologies) in which it was discussed that well baffled binoculars may appear to have less perceived brightness, while binoculars with more internal reflections - Swarovskis being specifically mentioned - may appear brighter and have greater ease of view. The 8x32 SV design may therefore be a tradeoff - accepting more veiling glare for better perceived brightness and ease of view. That may be a worthwhile tradeoff under Northern European birding conditions, as I tried my best to do a glare test on the binoculars I was using at sunrise today, but it was a typical monochrome overcast English morning and the sun was nowhere to be found! At least it was dry for the first few hours...

Patudo,

Keep in mind that a bright sun near the field edge is not necessarily the best target if your goal is to detect veiling glare. Darker conditions are better since they allow your pupil to dilate large enough to accept internal reflections near the exit pupil edge. Looking at dark areas beneath an open sky is better, especially on a cloudy day or at twilight.

Henry

Patudo. I agree with everything you said. I think just adding extra baffles to the control a small amount of glare is going to compromise other areas of the SV 8x32. That is what the Swarovski Engineer said and I am sure it is true. The SV design is a tradeoff that is well worth it IMO. Allbino's say the SV 8.5x42 have some reflections but yet it is ranked 1st in the 8x42's. The SV 8x32 may show some glare for some people but IMO overall it is the best 8x32 on the market right now. If your not trying it because of all the talk about glare you are definitely missing out.

You can't have it both ways, Dennis. Is the glare fixed (see post #1) or is it not fixed because that would cause an unspecified compromise (see post #99)?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back