Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Question about IDing birds based on summer/winter plumage

Old Saturday 17th December 2011, 17:33   #1
AdAstra09

Question Question about IDing birds based on summer/winter plumage

Some of the birds I have been helped to identify recently, such as the common moorhen and the house sparrow, appear to be in their 'summer' plumage according to my field guide even though it is december. Now granted, December in Phoenix averages about 70 degrees. So is a bird's 'winter' plumage based on temperature rather than the calendar? That is my assumption but my field guide doesn't address this so I thought I'd ask. Thanks for any help.
"She carries a lot of suitcases but all of them are empty because she's expecting to completely fill them with life by the end of this trip & then she'll come home & sort everything out & do it all again." ~ story people
Old Saturday 17th December 2011, 17:40   #2
OlaB

Hi! No it's based on the calendar. However, some birds have no difference between winter and summer plumage such as for example Common moorhen and House Sparrow.

Edit: Of course "no difference" was a simplification of the matter. See Steves excellent explanation below. :-)

Last edited by OlaB : Saturday 17th December 2011 at 18:34.
Old Saturday 17th December 2011, 17:47   #3
Steve Schoech

In general, NA species plumage will follow the calendar. The two species that you mention are somewhat interesting, however, in that they do not undergo two molts (basic and alternate) but rather one into the basic. I'm not 100% sure about the moorhen but think that the summer (breeding season) appearance that is characterized by the red and yellow in the bill and red face plate is almost certainly the result of exposure to sex steroid hormones. That's certainly the case for many of the seasonal changes in 'soft part' coloration.
House sparrows (European starlings too) wear into their 'breeding' plumage in that the outer feathers wear to reveal different colors beneath (i.e., the black breast badge in male house sparrows becomes larger and more pronounced).
Old Saturday 17th December 2011, 20:28   #4
AdAstra09

Thanks for the clarification! So, it's not summer/winter but rather breeding plumage? The birds are mating now? The reason I ask is because I was looking up the birds I identified recently in my field guide and the moorhen definately had the extensive red of the 'summer version', and the 'winter' house sparrow male appeared to have a dark grey breast with the black bib blending in rather than the cream colored bibs on the house sparrows I've seen recently with the black bibs standing out. And the field guide I use doesn't show breeding plumage for these two species, just winter/summer, although it does show breeding plumage for other species, which makes it more confusing. I use the Stokes Field Guide to Birds: Western Edition, if that makes a difference.
"She carries a lot of suitcases but all of them are empty because she's expecting to completely fill them with life by the end of this trip & then she'll come home & sort everything out & do it all again." ~ story people
Old Saturday 17th December 2011, 21:08   #5
Steve Schoech

Winter vs. summer is more or less equivalent to nonbreeding vs. breeding. Though note there are exceptions and considerable variation in when birds breed both within and among populations and species.
Old Saturday 17th December 2011, 23:40   #6
njlarsen
Opus Editor

The biggest confusion usually is for ducks where the breeding plumage usually lasts the second part of fall and most of winter but usually is gone by the time summer rolls around

Niels

Temporarily living in Tennessee

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 18th December 2011, 00:12   #7
grebefeet9
elegant tern of phrase

because ducks pair up on the wintering grounds.
Old Sunday 18th December 2011, 13:14   #8
AdAstra09

Awesome! Thank you guys for your answers! I learned a lot from this thread
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: