• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to make 2x Booster compatible with current SLC 15x56 (1 Viewer)

I am new to Bird Forum, also relatively new to my Swaro SLC 15x56 WB binos, which is 2020 edition. I read that the Swaro 2x booster is only compatible with the Swaro SLC 15x56 Neu version (pre-2013) and not with WB version (post 2013).

How useful the 2x booster on tripod mounted 15x56 in general use? What is the eye cup size difference between the Neu and WB version? Which one has a larger diameter? Is it possible to adapt the 2x booster for use on WB even if not threaded in as on Neu? Is there anyone who has made an adapter to allow 2x on WB even if for handholding the 2x booster behind tripod mounted 15x56 WB? I mean having the adaptor wrapping around the eye cut tightly without removing the eye cut? Am I better off just handholding a Zeiss 3x booster which I heard is also very good? One of the reviewers of 15x56 WB did such a Zeiss 3x based inspection.

Thanks!

Hi Spectrum,

Welcome to BF. I can’t give you a specific answer but I can provide some background information . . .

The 2x Booster was produced from late 1999 to at least mid 2009 (observed numbering from Z6947 00130 to Z7921 63230)

It was designed to attach to the following:
A) the original SLC series except the x30 models, though earlier production required updated eyepieces (but not the all new SLC x42 models introduced in 2010, or the x56 ones in 2013)

B) the original EL series (but not the EL Swarovision series introduced in 2010)

See the attached SLC specific information along with the connection procedures

Roger Vine has some interesting observations about the use of one on an SLC 15x56 neu at: http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/SwaroBooster.htm

Boosters are regularly offered on sales sites. It’s an item that many would have bought out of curiosity or JIC (just in case), and used maybe once or twice
So the advertised ones are often in near mint condition

The problem of fitting the booster to later models has arisen before, and Jan or others may be able to suggest a solution, see: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=310623
As there's no appropriate adaptor collar (and I'm somewhat surprised that no one has marketed a collar for the current x56 SLC's or the x50 EL SV's),
as you indicate, you're going to need some sort of improvised fitting

n.b. the 2x Booster will provide a much more useable exit pupil - and therefore useable image - than a 3x version would; and 30x will be much more useable than 45x

John

Attachments

• SLC Compatability.jpg
    SLC Compatability.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Attaching the Booster.jpg
    Attaching the Booster.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I am new to Bird Forum, also relatively new to my Swaro SLC 15x56 WB binos, which is 2020 edition. I read that the Swaro 2x booster is only compatible with the Swaro SLC 15x56 Neu version (pre-2013) and not with WB version (post 2013).

How useful the 2x booster on tripod mounted 15x56 in general use? What is the eye cup size difference between the Neu and WB version? Which one has a larger diameter? Is it possible to adapt the 2x booster for use on WB even if not threaded in as on Neu? Is there anyone who has made an adapter to allow 2x on WB even if for handholding the 2x booster behind tripod mounted 15x56 WB? I mean having the adaptor wrapping around the eye cut tightly without removing the eye cut? Am I better off just handholding a Zeiss 3x booster which I heard is also very good? One of the reviewers of 15x56 WB did such a Zeiss 3x based inspection.

Thanks!

Hello San Diego,

What we do is that we take a replacement eyecup of the required model and mount that eyecup on the booster. After that it is just unscrewing the eyecup off the bin and screw the booster on it. It fits the current SVEL 50 and SLC 56 models.

Jan

Hi Spectrum,

I have experimented a little with the combination of a 15x56 SLC and a good quality 2,5x booster that I push on to the eyecup. Short summary is that I'm always glad to go back to the unboosted view.

Sure, I can see a little more detail with the booster mounted, but the view gets a lot dimmer, there is a marked loss in contrast and the smal exit pupil is not nice in use. However much I like the idea, I see little practical benefit and seldom take the booster with me.

I have the same experience with the combination of the Zeiss 3x12 booster with a Leica 7x42 and 8x32.

George

Thanks for all the valuable information, very educational to me. I conclude it is possible to adapt the 2x booster to the current SLC 15x56 model but require some serious machine shop job to do it right, and that it is likely a gadget for "just in case" type application. So when the bidding on ebay gets too high, I decided not to go higher but instead apply the funding to another highly recommended (by Birdforum and CloudyNight) gadget I would enjoy more often: A Zeiss 8x25 pocket bino. This one would stay on my belt whenever I go hiking or bicycling, always ready for the next bird that I come across. Thanks for shaping my opinion!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back