• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland in October (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
Having had an April trip cancelled during Covid I’m contemplating an October replacement. Is that a decent time of year for seeing the following

Ptarmigan, capercaillie, golden eagle, created tit. Pine Marten

For my April Trip I had booked a night in Musselburgh, 4 in nethy bridge and one at a b&b with pine martens near fort William. Is Musselburgh still likely to feature sea ducks in October

I’m guessing the weather isn’t always helpful but it’s the only time I have available (of course can’t book yet anyway and it too might get cancelled)

It's probably not a great time for the Highlands, when things can be quiet after the summer visitors have left. Having said that, all the species you mention will still be there. I suspect Capercaillie will be difficult, but they always are. The others should be reasonably gettable if you go to the right areas.

I think Musselburgh should have sea duck in October, as will other places on the east coast and the Moray Firth.

Whilst at Nethy Bridge have a run down to the Skye Bridge, chance of Golden and White Tailed Eagles round there.

The small birds will have shipped out or flocked up. However, this gives excellent opportunities. Go to Loch Garten and take sunflower hearts with you. Dozens of coal tits coming to your hands to feed and cresties within stroking distance. Loads of wintering birds arriving - thrushes,wildfowl, geese and waders - go to the Moray coast and Black Isle. Findhorn Valley still great for raptors, plus rutting deer etc. Seawatching on the west coast can be good for birds (rough weather) or cetaceans (calm conditions) Take a trip from Ullapool to Stornoway as a foot passenger - great value for money. Ptarmigan can be easy to see if they have moulted and there is no snow - or vice versa. I often lead trips for Birdwatching Magazine then and we haven't had any complaints yet - the group normally gets a combined total of 110-120 species during their four day stay, plus a dozen mammals.
Hope that helps
Gordon Hamlett - author of The Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands (pm me if you want more details about the book)

thank you, that all sounds very good, unfortunately it looks like the 2 week autumn half term welsh schools were recently promised is being retracted so who knows when I will actually get there but it'll happen sometime

thank you, that all sounds very good, unfortunately it looks like the 2 week autumn half term welsh schools were recently promised is being retracted so who knows when I will actually get there but it'll happen sometime

I hadn’t heard that Owen. Damn it! Was toying with Scotland as well. If it’s only a week I think Cornwall May well be on the cards - if we can travel and stay by then.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back