Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

RSPB HDX 8x42 or something else

Old Monday 22nd June 2020, 15:23   #1
Blackdog67

RSPB HDX 8x42 or something else

I am hoping to buy my wife a nice pair of binoculars for her 50th Birthday. She likes the RSPB HDX 8x42 binos and as we volunteer for the RSPB we qualify for volunteer discount.

However the shop at our local reserve is still closed and will be for some time yet. What other makes/models should we be looking at in the 500-600 price bracket?
Old Monday 22nd June 2020, 22:15   #2
dipped

If you can stretch the budget a bit these Conquest 8x32's are worth a look. https://www.wexphotovideo.com/zeiss-...-used-1737571/

Personally I prefer the RSPB 8x42 HDs over the HDX's, for me the best in the RSPB binocular range.
Old Tuesday 23rd June 2020, 09:49   #3
richard866945
Bino repair man

Opticron DBA VHD+ 8x42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog67 View Post
I am hoping to buy my wife a nice pair of binoculars for her 50th Birthday. She likes the RSPB HDX 8x42 binos and as we volunteer for the RSPB we qualify for volunteer discount.

However the shop at our local reserve is still closed and will be for some time yet. What other makes/models should we be looking at in the 500-600 price bracket?
I know where you can get an Opticron DBA VHD+ 8x42 well within your price bracket.
PM me for the contact details.
Old Tuesday 23rd June 2020, 10:00   #4
normjackson

In that price range there doesn't actually seem to be a huge number of 8x42s to chose between atm (which could have its advantages ). In addition to the RSPB models there's the top models from Opticron :
https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/binoculars

and the Vortex Viper HD :
https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-vipe...binocular.html

There are a few more 8x30s (including the venerable Nikon EII) and several IS models.

When I first saw the original post and typed RSPB HDX 8x42 into Google I found this thread started by sedgemoor which quite enjoyed reading :
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=372643
Yet another illustration of how important it is spend "hands-on" time deciding (which it seems the RSPB shop is generous in allowing).

Good tip from dipped to make sure the RSPB HD model is also checked out if haven't done so.
Old Wednesday 24th June 2020, 12:45   #5
Blackdog67

Thanks for the tips. She is also looking at the Opticron DBA VHD+ which look to have lots of positive revirews
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: