• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who? What? Where? Etc? of Opus?? (1 Viewer)

:t:
No probs. You can copy the coding that I put in to supply the link down to External Links; you just need to watch the numbering, or.... :eek!:;)

Ummmm.... not quite LOL. You moved the last paragraph. I was thinking of the one before where you talk about the roads and airport, that give you access to the area.

Okay, I will fix that. I must confess, the term penultimate paragraph was one I was not familiar with. So, I "googled" it and thought I was right, but it's not the first time I've been wrong and won't be the last. In either case, I "learned" this morning.

LOL ... sorry!!

Join the "always getting things wrong club";)

I've got an idea in mind for my "next" addition to the page. It's a portion that will benefit from "pictures." Now that I know a bit more about adding web links, I know those linked pages will show "some" pictures.

But I know there will come a time when I might want to include a stand-alone picture. I understand copyright and the need for permission of the photographer and/or artist. I've done that before in a couple of instances.
What I did there was nothing more than an email to the photographer/artist requesting that permission and upon receiving it, filed that email on my computer and added credit where it was due.

I've begun, this morning, looking for guidance in the Opus documentation as to how it's required for it. So far, all I've found is it's needed and pictures/artwork should not be used without it. Unless I am the person originating the item in question. While I'll continue looking, I wanted to ask your thoughts as well.

Or should/can another photo search be added? Along those lines, how much can that feature be utilized?

Hi lad

Regarding pictures. We are trying to ensure that all The Opus content is member's own work. So the picture should be your own.*

Generally they're uploaded to the Gallery first and added to the article from there. But you can, of course, upload directly from your computer. For Location articles we prefer them to be habitat/scenery, except in special circumstances.

You will, of course, receive the credit, as you can see in the Texas page: https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Category:Texas

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "another photo search"?

*Edit: or an image that has been uploaded to the forum, either into the Gallery or in a thread.

Hi lad

Regarding pictures. We are trying to ensure that all The Opus content is member's own work. So the picture should be your own.*

Generally they're uploaded to the Gallery first and added to the article from there. But you can, of course, upload directly from your computer. For Location articles we prefer them to be habitat/scenery, except in special circumstances.

You will, of course, receive the credit, as you can see in the Texas page: https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Category:Texas

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "another photo search"?

*Edit: or an image that has been uploaded to the forum, either into the Gallery or in a thread.

I will work to make it happen that way.

What I meant by "another photo search" was referring to the search feature you placed near the bottom of the page to search for pictures with "piedmont" in their description, etc.

Also, I took the liberty of using "bold print" to put what I viewed as a headline of sorts on parts of the Areas of Interest. In my view, it serves to break it up and draw attention to things that might get overlooked otherwise. I hope this is acceptable?

I will work to make it happen that way.

What I meant by "another photo search" was referring to the search feature you placed near the bottom of the page to search for pictures with "piedmont" in their description, etc.

Yes, we do do that on occasion. Piedmont on it's own doesn't work as there are a lot of pictures in the Gallery from Piedmont in Italy LOL. It's sometimes very much a case of trial and error to get the searches to work.

Also, I took the liberty of using "bold print" to put what I viewed as a headline of sorts on parts of the Areas of Interest. In my view, it serves to break it up and draw attention to things that might get overlooked otherwise. I hope this is acceptable?

Is that even better?;) https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Piedmont_Region_of_North_Carolina

Yes it is! Thank you! :t:

The advantage of that way, is that those headings actually appear in the Contents Box at the top, so you can go straight to the required one as soon as you enter the article.

The advantage of that way, is that those headings actually appear in the Contents Box at the top, so you can go straight to the required one as soon as you enter the article.

Great! I like that!

I'd like to add something for a local County park that I'm familiar with that I know has certain facilities/features that will be nice for birding. I understand Opus content needs to be "non"-commercial. This park is free to enter and mostly free to use after entry. But there are some features that there is a charge for. It's non-commercial in that it's a part of the County's Parks Dept, but I'd like to know if it meets the Opus barometer for non-commercial even though there are "some" charges. I don't think this thing has ever shown a profit.

This is their website. Would you look and tell me what you think?
https://www.rowancountync.gov/185/Dan-Nicholas-Park

No, that sort of site is fine, as is their website.

I'm trying to think of examples that shouldn't be used. I'll come back on that LOL

Good Morning!

At least it's morning here at 7:07 am Eastern Daylight Time, which is GMT-Greenwich Mean Time minus 4 hours.

I'm beginning work, this morning, on putting something together for the "Birds" section of "Piedmont Region of North Carolina." I've hesitated up until now because of the fact the area is so large geographically that it'd be hard to come up with a "fair" representation for each category. It's my desire to do a fair assessment of this.

What I've decided to do is to use data from the Ebird website to assemble the names of the most reported species, the middle species, and the rarest species reported in approximately 1/3 of the region's approximately 35 counties randomly selected from across the whole region. Then use that assembled data to formulate my entries for each category in that section and note it as a composite of the region.

I don't think this would be an improper use of that data from that source, do you? Should I, and if so how should I, properly credit my data source for doing this? I can easily mention it in the narrative of the section and include a web link to the site at the bottom of the page with the other links. ??

Okeydoke... well done.

Rarities is for birds that have only been in the area on a few occasions (there may not be any of course!)

Notable Species are birds that are of special interest to the area, for instance regular winter visitors, particularly in numbers, such as geese. Or Regular summer visitors or birds that are hard to find elsewhere etc.

The main Checklist is for birds that a 'likely to be seen' not including the rarities. It does help if they are in a taxonomic order.

Down the bottom of the article, before External Links, start a

==References==
#

{{ref}}

section. This last bit of coding will also add the recommended citation for The Opus. This is where you can add the sources you have used to write the article.

I hope I've covered everything there LOL

Deia said:
Rarities is for birds that have only been in the area on a few occasions (there may not be any of course!)

An addition to that: or a bird that is a rare species locally or globally that has made it's home there. But be careful not to give exact location details to where they are to ensure their safety. In some particularly sensitive cases, it might be better not to mention them at all.

Okeydoke... well done.

Down the bottom of the article, before External Links, start a

==References==
#

{{ref}}

section. This last bit of coding will also add the recommended citation for The Opus. This is where you can add the sources you have used to write the article.

I hope I've covered everything there LOL

Done, insofar as adding the section to the page. I wouldn't be surprised if I had a question or two about it once I begin to actually put the information on the page. I'm learning new terms, etc. doing this, in addition to the actual observation of birds. But, I've always been told, any day you learn something is a good day."

An addition to that: or a bird that is a rare species locally or globally that has made it's home there. But be careful not to give exact location details to where they are to ensure their safety. In some particularly sensitive cases, it might be better not to mention them at all.

I understand. At this point, I'm only getting into the data in a "numbers" and species kind of way for each of the counties I'm looking at. It's easily searchable by county name and location.

Done, insofar as adding the section to the page. I wouldn't be surprised if I had a question or two about it once I begin to actually put the information on the page. I'm learning new terms, etc. doing this, in addition to the actual observation of birds. But, I've always been told, any day you learn something is a good day."

Ummm... did you forget to Save it? I can't see the References section?

Ummm... did you forget to Save it? I can't see the References section?

No, it's there when I look. ??

Here's a screen grab attached of what I see.

Did I do something wrong?

Attachments

• screen grab with references added.jpg
    screen grab with references added.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 6
LOL sorry, I didn't see the heading there ... how odd.

Can you add this into that section too: {{ref}}

That will give the recommended Opus citation as well as a link to the reference templates that we generally use.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back