• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC. Is this normal? (1 Viewer)

Gray C

Grumpy old bugger
United Kingdom
Whenever I don't use glasses (not often) I've noticed a slight yellow/green ring around the very outer edge of the field of view. Is this normal, or is it my eyes, or is there a possible fault with the binoculars?

Thanks for any advice

Safe to say not normal... Which SLC model, and is the ring seen while using it normally, or while looking at it from some distance above or to the side? (There have been a couple of reports like that recently with other models.) Is the ring uniform or more partial, and is it the same in both tubes, and in different viewing conditions?

Can you move the eye cups in more and get your eyes closer without causing blackouts? I have never used SLC but have had a similar issue with other brands. In every case, it goes away if I cram the eye pieces deeper into my eye sockets. I posted a while ago in the general forum about it and didn't get any answers.

Whenever I don't use glasses (not often) I've noticed a slight yellow/green ring around the very outer edge of the field of view. Is this normal, or is it my eyes, or is there a possible fault with the binoculars?

Thanks for any advice

Is this 8x42 SLC you have, Gray? The same model you've mentioned to me recently?

Tom

Hi,

I have slc 10x56 bins and I can see faint yellowish ring at the very outer edge of image. If I lift eyecups too much, the ring becomes more centered.

I'm using eyeglasses and when I get the whole fov, also the ring is furthest in the edges and so it doesn't bother me. Some other binoculars have this same thing happening and if you can't get your eye close enough, the ring will be more visible in the image center.

Juhani

Hi,

I have slc 10x56 bins and I can see faint yellowish ring at the very outer edge of image. If I lift eyecups too much, the ring becomes more centered.

I'm using eyeglasses and when I get the whole fov, also the ring is furthest in the edges and so it doesn't bother me. Some other binoculars have this same thing happening and if you can't get your eye close enough, the ring will be more visible in the image center.

Juhani

So it seems it's a common thing with the SLCs?

Can you move the eye cups in more and get your eyes closer without causing blackouts? I have never used SLC but have had a similar issue with other brands. In every case, it goes away if I cram the eye pieces deeper into my eye sockets. I posted a while ago in the general forum about it and didn't get any answers.

I can try what you have suggested without glasses on, but 90% of the time I wear glasses so the eyecups are fully in

Well, I can just confirm that slc 10x56 model may have that kind of ring you descriped. I have tried slc 10x42 also but I don't remember what exactly version it was, it nevertheless had that same kind of ring but it was more centered and thus more annoying. Maybe it had something to do with eye relief also, can't recall.

With 10x56, it's really no problem for me because when eyecups properly positioned, the ring is in the outermost area and in fact the image slc 10x56 provides, is the cleanest and most joyable I have seen. Many other binoculars have those same kind of rings very near image center, which I find very annoying in prolonged watching.

Juhani

I think you must mean, using binos with certain eyeglasses? I've never seen it, and can't provoke it even by wearing glasses (as I don't normally) and lowering the eyecups on my SLCs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back