Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The obscure August Vollrath Streubel

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 4th July 2020, 10:08   #26
Taphrospilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphrospilus View Post
But now I am a little bit confused about the authorship. Will be Theodor von Heuglin or Gustav Hartlaub be considered as author of the name? I ask as the title of the article is Beiträge zur der Ornithologie von Th. v. Heugelin while at the end of the article we Dr. G. Hartlaub.

As well I ask myself (if Avibase is correct) why Apus affinis galilejensis (Antinori, 1855) and not Apus affinis abessynicus (Streubel, 1848)? abessynicus pre-occupied by?
At least last A. a. abessynicus seems not the one from Streubel. So what is the synonym of Streubels name? See also here.

But Thesaurus ornithologiae shows it as synonym to Apus affinis affinis.

Streubel indicated here Ethiopia as country where Friedrich Wilhelm Hemprich and Christian Gottfried Ehrenberg collected the specimen(s).

I am honest I can't follow this logic here of plenary powers.

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Saturday 4th July 2020 at 11:40.
Old Saturday 4th July 2020, 12:24   #27
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphrospilus View Post
As well I ask myself (if Avibase is correct) why Apus affinis galilejensis (Antinori, 1855) and not Apus affinis abessynicus (Streubel, 1848)? abessynicus pre-occupied by?
Cypselus abessynicus Streubel 1848 was long used for the tropical African populations of Apus affinis, until it was realised that Abyssinian populations of the species actually belonged to the same taxon as those of the Near-East, for which Cypselus galilejensis Antinori 1855 was in use.
The tropical African population was then renamed Apus affinis aerobates Brooke 1969 https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/40816905, but the transfer of abessynicus, long used for one taxon, to another taxon, which should in principle have followed, was deemed unbearable: the suppression of the name (for the purposes of the Principle of Priority) was requested to the Commission https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/12224464, who obliged https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/12225192.

I.e., abessynicus is a senior synonym of galilejensis, not preoccupied, but that cannot be used as a valid name any more.

(Only the Commission is entitled to set aside a decision of the Commission.)

Last edited by l_raty : Saturday 4th July 2020 at 12:26.
Old Saturday 4th July 2020, 15:28   #28
Taphrospilus

Actually I don't like this logic, but I think we have to accept the commisions decission. In my opinion nothing is unbearable and/or without alternative. Priority rules!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: