• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Humpback whales (1 Viewer)

Anhinga Watcher

I'm going to Alaska the following summer. Has anyone took a tour in Prince William Sound? Is it true that you'll glimpse a lot of humpback whales? For me, I had experiences such as not seeing a lot of wildlife, although in the travel guides, they're listed as very common.

Tim

Tim,
We were in Glacier Bay, and saw lots of Humpback whales. Attached is one (at least part of one) we saw. There should also be Orcas but we didn't see any. Summer is a good time for this. We were there late June. Also saw Grizzlies, Black Bears, Otters and of course lots of birds!

Attachments

• whale.GIF
    whale.GIF
    183.1 KB · Views: 189
Wow!! Alaska sounds much more exciting than ever!! Are grizzlies often seen in the woods, such as Denali National Park? I'd love to glimpse grizzlies standing on rivers, while awaiting for jumping salmons.

Tim

I've never been to Denali but they say there are Grizzlies there. The famous places for Bearwatching that I've heard about are Katmai National Park and Kodiak Island. July and September are supposed to be the best times to see them. We only spent a week in Alaska and that whole time we were in Glacier Bay. We'll need another trip back because there is so much we didn't see.

Tim,

There are grizzlies in Denali - you can usually see them from the buses that take you into the park. We saw only one, but it came right over the road fairly close to our bus (it walked right in front of another bus).

The place to go for grizzly viewing is Katmai National Park, specifically Brooks Lodge. Late June to early July is the prime time to see the grizzlies catch salmon at the waterfall. I was there late August and early September - the bears are still active, just not at the top of the waterfall, since the salmon have weakened and are not jumping anymore.

Brooks has limited facilities and usually books up at least a year in advance. Established groups typically set reservations several years in advance, so that would be an option for gettng there. The typical way to get there is to fly into King Salmon, AK and then take a float plane to Brooks. You do need to be careful, because there are no barriers between you and the bears except for common sense. On our last evening near our cabin, I ended up about 30 feet from a grizzly who climbed up the hill. That was a little too close for comfort!!

Ovearll, it was an amazing experience I will never forget. There are observation platforms and there is almost no way you can go there and not come away with some incredible pictures. Definitely worth it if you can get there.

For seeing orcas, we saw 2 pods around the Resurrrection Bay area (near Seward). Also saw stellar sea lions, puffins, bald eagles, etc. We did a tour with Natural Habitat Adventures who do a great job (www.nathab.com).

Mark

Tim,
I found one of my photo's of a young (about 4 yrs) grizzly I took on our trip. What you can't see is that I was in a kayak about 30 yards from this guy taking his photo.

Attachments

• Grizzly.GIF
    Grizzly.GIF
    210.9 KB · Views: 200
Wow. So both of you guys had very close encounters with grizzlies! That's a bit close for comfort, but it's a memorable experience. I can't wait to see all those diverse wildlife including steller's sea linos, orcas, puffins, bears, moose, salmons, etc.

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back