Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

RFI Fall Birding

Old Friday 31st July 2009, 07:26   #1
sbradfield

RFI Fall Birding

Hi all

It is our 10th wedding anniversary next year and I am hoping to take my good lady to New England in the Fall for a few days. The idea is to find a nice hotel and spend a few days just exploring the local area mainly on foot (although we will have a car). Can anyone suggest any good areas in Vermont or New Hampshire (or even Maine) where the birding is particularly good as well as the trees (preferably away from the coach parties!)?

I have also posted on New Hampshire forum.

Many thanks
Simon
Old Saturday 17th October 2009, 01:55   #2
bheitzman

Hi Simon,
My favorite birding site is Plum Island, near Newburyport, Massachusetts. Plum is the northernmost barrier island on the Atlantic US coast, and is hot for birds migrating along the Atlantic Flyway. ID'ed 47 species last weekend! Newburyport is a nice touristy town with some great shops and nice harbor area. Good food too!

Up in Vermont, Burlington is a great base of operations. Peak foliage is usually the last week of September thru the first or second week of October. Burlington is on Lake Champlain, and is a very college town - biggest city in VT. Birding and scenic sites are found along the shore (Shelburne Bay, Dead Creek, Malletts Bay) and up in the Champlain Islands (which are amazingly beautiful. The Adirondack Mountains are visible to the West, and the Green Mountains to the East.

Come and enjoy!
Bob
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: