• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Riverside Nature Park, Dundee. (1 Viewer)

a female pheasant was foraging in the grass beside the car park today it flew up landing just a short distance away first pheasant i have seen here,a sinlge female goosander was sitting on the pipe in front of the hide,5 meadow pipits /teals/curlews/were nearby,a sparrowhawk flew out of the trees at the hide, last monday robins were heard singing all around the reserve today not one was heard,a flock of 50+ mistle thrushes flew overhead,buzzard/heron/jackdaw/chaffinch/blue tit/mutes/carrion crow were all seen, a bumble bee flew past me on the hide path,there was another person with binoculars here today plus most of the rubbish has been removed

Attachments

• mpp3.jpg
    mpp3.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 333
  • gsa2.jpg
    gsa2.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 319
Your Pheasant is a new bird for the site list. I've still to see a Goosander here, will try and pay a visit this weekend at some point.

72. Pheasant

Had a brilliant day out birding today with my pal, Joan FarrelL. We started early at Riverside in the hope of seeing the Geese leaving the bay. We got there around 8.30 and saw a large flock of Pink Feet flying across the Tay towards us, but they passed to the east and west of the park. Joan had seen lots of Thrushes flying through while walking her dogs earlier in the morning, and we had several large-ish flocks go over at the park, mostly Fieldfare but with a couple of Redwing dotted through the groups. Both were new birds for here for me. The tide was quite far in, and there were Dunlin, Bar Tailed Godwits and Redshanks on the mud. There was a Great Black Backed Gull and a Lesser Black Backed Gull on the pipe with the more usual Herring Gulls and Black Headed Gulls. The Great Black Backed was yet another new bird for the site. At the car park we'd had a small flock of Siskin (another new bird) by the car park and also Long Tailed Tits and we added a couple of Redpoll later at the foot of the hill. Meadow Pipit were also around. while looking over the bay, I heard a Wagtail, but it didn't sound like the usual Pied. I spotted the bird flying away from us and managed a quick photo which showed a yellow undertail. A Grey Wagtail and yet another new patch tick. Further round on the path we spotted a Sparrowhawk go over, and a few Yellowhammers in the bushes as well. We added another new bird for the site when a Great Spotted Woodpecker flew over in the direction of the bay from the direction of the trees to the north of the car park. Other birds seen included Buzzard, Grey Heron (at the lochan with Mute Swan and Mallard), Teal, Wigeon, Cormorant, Chaffinch, Wren, Starling, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow and Great Tit. Really enjoyed the visit and was surprised with the number of birds seen.

73. Great Black Backed Gull
74. Great Spotted Woodpecker
75. Fieldfare
76. Redwing
77. Grey Wagtail
78. Siskin

In some respects I've been surprised by the variety of birds that I've seen here since it opened - some of which were my first sightings in Dundee - Wheatear, Common Sandpiper, Osprey, Stock Dove to name a few.
I'm not sure what the place will turn up next, but there is plenty of scope for waders (Avocet was seen before the park was open so isn't on the list) and waterfowl (maybe geese species especially). Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that Owls may be a possibility, and might attempt to see if I can see some around dusk/late afternoon at some point over the winter. Raptors are also a possibility (Peregrines are nearby, but I haven't seen one at the park since it opened) with a few species such as Red Kite, Marsh harrier, Hen Harrier and Merlin not beyond the realms of possibility, though possibly unlikely. Waxwings may pass through, though there is a shortage of berry bearing trees and bushes unfortunately. Think there is some chance of other finches and buntings flocking too, and I'm looking forward to seeing what migrants arrive next Spring. Last Saturday's visit showed me that the place hasn't run out of species yet, so here's hoping for lots more, and fingers crossed more local birders will pop in for a visit and maybe add to the species list in the process.

Lack of other options meant that a visit to the park was on the agenda today, but once again what might have been more of the same turned out to be a really good visit, despite the lack of bird photo opportunities (though got a few nice photos of a visiting vintage aircraft - a Cessna 170), and I didn't even make it round half the park.

The tide was on its way back out when I arrived and the usual selection of waders, crows and gulls were out on the mud. Lots of Teal around too, but no Green Winged Teal (I have a feeling that might be the first proper rarity to show up on my list from here). I spooked a Buzzard, which flew out over the bay, spooking some of the waders and ducks but everything soon settled back down. The windless conditions meant that birds way out in the river could be seen quite well, and I managed to add two new birds to the patch list when I spotted a couple of pairs of Goldeneye and Red Breasted Mergansers a good bit out. I could just hear what I was sure were Whooper Swans but I couldn't see them at all. Until I moved a bit further south, and there were 4 of them off the end of the outflow pipe. Another patch tick. Had a mixed flock of Fieldfare and Redwing go over westwards, and a small group of Pink Feet flew round the bay. Curlews flew round into the bay from the direction of the airport and something caused the Dunlin to circle round en masse (around 200 or so).

Got talking to a dog walker with a pair of binoculars for the next hour or so about the birds at the park and nearby. As we chatted a flock of Linnets, Chaffinches and Goldfinch flew around sporadically behind us in the dump area. Meadow Pipit were also around in small numbers. Cormorant and Grey Heron were out on the pipe. A Sparrowhawk tangled with a Pied Wagtail which escaped. A Great Black Backed Gull flew into the bay and a skein of 150 or so Pink Feet came in from the north but wouldn't settle for more than a few seconds at a time before heading off towards Kingoodie.

Heard a couple of Wagtails in the dump area, so had a wee sneaky peek over the grassy banking into an area with a puddle where a Pied Wagtail and a Grey Wagtail were wandering around the edges together. The light was beginning to go, so we headed for home. A pretty decent visit again.

79. Whooper Swan
80. Red Breasted Merganser
81. Goldeneye

Last edited:
there was quite a lot of smaller birds showing today here today ,now that the leaves are gone they are easier to see,i counted 15 dunnocks 6 of them were feeding in a group consisting of chaffinches/blackbirds with 2 robins,a group of long tailed tits were feeding in the trees next to the hide and were at times within 7 feet away,it,s a pity no feeders have been put up here,a half coconut was in place last year,in front of the hide redshank/curlew/common sandpiper were feeding,teals were resting up,goldfinches/linnets were feeding around at the scree area and a buzzard was flying nearby,other birds seen were heron/blue tit/great tit/carrion crow/pinkfoots/fieldfares/bh gulls/mallards

Attachments

• ltt2.jpg
    ltt2.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 125
  • ltt3.jpg
    ltt3.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 128
  • ltt4.jpg
    ltt4.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 128
  • linnit5.jpg
    linnit5.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 131
  • dunnock3.JPG
    dunnock3.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 121
My first visit for a wee while this morning. Paths very icy and not too many birds around. Siskin by the car park, a Buzzard in the trees to the north, small groups of Greylags and Pinkies over. Dunlin, Redshank, Teal and Mallard out in the bay, with a few Curlew, Lapwings and Oystercatchers dotted about. Mute Swans at the Lochan and a Dipper on the burn out front of the hide.

82. Greylag Goose
83. Dipper

i had a walk around the park 2.30pm tues,the weather was very strange, there was no wind the water was calm insects were flying it felt like early spring,i work as a taxi driver and at 4.00am tues my passengers were struggling to get in my car with the wind,i ruled out any birding based on this which is why i ended up going out at out at 2.30pm :C,virtually no smaller birds ,chaffinch/robin,3 perched buzzards all giving relativy close views,one was feeding on the grass mound right in front of the car park,a large group of redshanks were feeding in front of the hide with some dunlin in the middle of them,teals/ bh gulls were also here, 3 herons were resting up plus cormorants.pinkfoots were flying over all without a sound,with light running out i headed over to tayport parking at the bus turning point and walking towards tentsmuir forest ,i was looking for woodcock here, from the car i had widgeon/shellduck/meadow pipit/carrion crow,a small flock of small birds in the forest feeding on heather then flying up to the canopy had me stumped any ideas ?2 woodcocks flying above were very welcome on my return

Attachments

• b7.JPG
    b7.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 131
  • h7.jpg
    h7.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 128
  • cc7.jpg
    cc7.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 126
,a small flock of small birds in the forest feeding on heather then flying up to the canopy had me stumped any ideas

When doing winter atlas tetrads I've come across lesser redpolls feeding on heather seeds adjacent to woodland so they could be a possibility

Had my final visit of the year this afternoon. Unfortunately the tide was well out when I got there, but there was enough of interest around the park to keep me occupied for a few hours. Came in from the eastern end and saw a few finches around in the first area of bushes when you get into the park. A male Chaffinch and a Brambling (my first of this winter, and a first for the park list). Heard a call and looked up to see a Great Spotted Woodpecker fly over. Next up was a Buzzard over the open 'field' to the north of the car park. A Mistle Thrush and about a dozen Fieldfares were near the dump, but flew into the trees by the downhill section of path to the 'fields'. A couple of Goldcrests in the trees behind there were next bird of interest on the list. No sign of any Dippers from the hide but almost managed to miss a group of Greylags over the far side of the bay near the houses. A Buzzard was perched on a fencepost by the railway line but was spooked by a train, and flew down onto the mud where it appeared to be scavenging on something. A small group of Siskins were feeding in the trees by the hide, but the light (or lack of) was making them tricky to pick out. Out on the mud there were the usual Redshanks, Oystercatchers, Dunlin and Curlew, plus a small flock of Bar Tailed Godwits.
Herring Gull, Black Headed Gull and a couple of Common Gulls plus a couple of hundred Teal made up the supporting cast on the mud. A Grey Wagtail flew over, and three Meadow Pipits were seen at the top of the hill. A skein of Pink Feet flew upriver. A not bad total of 34 species.

84. Brambling

Looking forward to seeing what the first half of 2012 brings to 'my patch', and hope to somehow get the list to 100 species in the first year. 16 species to see between now and June - I think it will be a struggle, but as the park keeps surprising me, I'm ruling nothing out. Hopefully more birders will pop by for a visit and maybe add to the list. Happy New Year and good birding for 2012.

A Happy New Year to you too Barry.B :)

Maybe, we'll manage to get there on the Bash at the end of Jan, so find some nice birds for us please.

D

First visit of the year to my "patch" this afternoon. Not a classic but still managed to see 32 species somehow. Tide and sun were both against me with the tide being well out and the sun creating silhouettes of the birds out on the mud. Nothing new to add to the list though.
Full species list (in order of appearance)....
Carrion Crow, Herring Gull, Chaffinch, Pied Wagtail, Common Gull, Black Headed Gull, Woodpigeon, Long Tailed Tit, Great Tit, Dunnock, Mallard, Feral Pigeon, Wren, Greylag, Curlew, Oystercatcher, Redshank, Teal, Jackdaw, Cormorant, Shelduck, Dunlin, Meadow Pipit, Starling, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Great Black Backed Gull, Grey Heron, Lapwing, Blackbird, Robin, Bar Tailed Godwit.

Did have a look towards the airport from then hill in the hope of maybe an owl at dusk, but no luck on that front. The bird-scarer did put up a small flock of Lapwings and Curlews plus some Starlings and two Buzzards that weren't bothered when the bird-scarer landrover drove past. Took a few flares to get the birds to move.

First visit of the year to my "patch" this afternoon. Not a classic but still managed to see 32 species somehow. Tide and sun were both against me with the tide being well out and the sun creating silhouettes of the birds out on the mud. Nothing new to add to the list though.
Full species list (in order of appearance)....
Carrion Crow, Herring Gull, Chaffinch, Pied Wagtail, Common Gull, Black Headed Gull, Woodpigeon, Long Tailed Tit, Great Tit, Dunnock, Mallard, Feral Pigeon, Wren, Greylag, Curlew, Oystercatcher, Redshank, Teal, Jackdaw, Cormorant, Shelduck, Dunlin, Meadow Pipit, Starling, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Great Black Backed Gull, Grey Heron, Lapwing, Blackbird, Robin, Bar Tailed Godwit.

Did have a look towards the airport from then hill in the hope of maybe an owl at dusk, but no luck on that front. The bird-scarer did put up a small flock of Lapwings and Curlews plus some Starlings and two Buzzards that weren't bothered when the bird-scarer landrover drove past. Took a few flares to get the birds to move.

Well, Andy Murray's epic tennis match put paid to my plans to venture a little further afield, so I spent the afternoon at a very quiet Riverside. Lovely day, but the sun made viewing birds in the bay difficult.
The afternoon started well with a Buzzard seen circling from the bus stop (near the two football grounds), just as the bus appeared at the start of my journey.

Once I got to the park, the trees seemed almost completely empty with hardly any small birds even heard, let alone seen. Carrion Crow, Woodpigeon and Herring Gull all flew over, and 3 male Teal were on a partially frozen lochan.

At the hide, the tide was almost all the way in, with a single Pink Footed Goose by the sewage pipe. There were other geese further over in the bay, but they lifted before I got a good view. Not many waders around, just Redshanks. Lots of Gulls, mostly Black Headed with a few Common Gulls and quite a few Herring Gulls. A Robin was in the bushes in front of the hide, and a couple of Blue Tits were feeding in the trees behind.
A Buzzard was in a tree overlooking the bay, and a Meadow Pipit in a tree further along the path near the viewpoint was obviously on sentry duty, as when I tried to get a closer view it lifted, followed by maybe 10 others from the grass at the top of the hill.

Sat at the viewpoint as the sun began to set, with several flocks of Oystercatchers low over the river. A Grey Wagtail flew over calling as it went, and a Shelduck flew out from the bay and across the river. A Buzzard being harassed by Crows near the end of the airport spooked a Grey Heron which flew a short distance before settling down again. A small flock of Curlews moved from the perimeter of the airport to nearer the bay to roost, and a few Starlings headed towards Invergowrie.

Highlight of the day was a fleeting glimpse of a Fox as the Crows made it feel unwelcome as it passed close to a group of them. Only 19 species of bird seen though, with several of the usual suspects absent completely.

i had a quick walk around the park in the drizzle at 10.00 am monday,still very quiet in the trees/bushes,1 robin heard calling,blackbird,chaffinch seen, a buzzard was being harrassed by carrion crows near the car park,in the bay redshanks/curlews/oystercatchers were feeding,lots of teals (mainly males)were resting in the channels,4 shellducks,1 heron nearby,1 pinkfoot was wandering about on top of the hill ,i saw the fox up here last week,it was right out in the open looking down on me,it was a very frosty day and i had my gloves on by the time i got them off the fox had bolted ,would have made a great pic

Attachments

• pff1.JPG
    pff1.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 122
  • pff2.JPG
    pff2.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 127
  • tls1.JPG
    tls1.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 141
i had a walk around 10.30 today,at the car park long tailed tits were flirting about the trees chaffinches were heard and seen nearby, woodpidgeons/buzzards were flying overhead,dunnocks,robins,blue tits on the path leading towards the hide,1 stock dove flew over the hide,in the bay,6 shellducks/5 pinkfoots/teals/curlew/lapwing/oystercatcher/dunlin/redshank/carrion crow/jackdaw plus the usual gulls,1 song thrush on the path nearer the dumping area plus 2 unitentified flying birds seen,lots of plane activity today it felt like a plane was taking off every 30 secs, some thoughtfull person has dumped a bed in the car park but they did take the time to stack it rather than throw it about

Attachments

• bed.JPG
    bed.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_7165.JPG
    IMG_7165.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_7170.JPG
    IMG_7170.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_7217.JPG
    IMG_7217.JPG