• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orion 10x42 monocular (1 Viewer)

jaymoynihan

Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher
I recently did an impulse buy of the Orion 10x42 monocular http://www.telescope.com/Orion-10x42-Waterproof-Monocular/p/8431.uts
I am a sucker for close focusing monoculars,(this one is 20") and after reading some comments, spent my $59.99 USD. ;)

For the money, this little puppy is surprisingly good. No, the optics or build are nothing to rave about, and it will never be a subject of a thread about quality of the outer area of the field yada, yada. But "for the money" it is nice keep in the car type instrument.

I guess one example of what it is like.
Yesterday, I was giving it a serious run through, mounted on a tripod. Bright day. Aimed center of the field of view at a falcon in partial silhouette perched on top of a dead stand at about 600 feet, i could make out the cheek and underside, and a hint of tail detail on what was an American Kestrel. Not bad.

One tip to anyone who gets one and wears eyeglasses. It has two focus methods. One is the main focus around the barrel. The other is a fine focus just ahead of the eyepiece/eyecup. If you turn the fine focus it is easy to extend the eyecup at the same time. So just "tap" the eyecup back down.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back