• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tasco 7x35 (1 Viewer)

Rob Williams

Can anyone help? I have an old pair of Tasco 7x35 binoculars bought for me by my parents when I was a teenager (more than a few years ago!). They are really good binoculars and I do not wish to get rid of them. However, around the eyepiece is a piece of black rubber which folds back on itself for wearers of glasses. The problem is one of those rubber cups is wearing out and is about to fall off. I have tried e-mailing Tasco, but had no reply. Anyone know where I can obtain a replacement?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Unfotunately, at the risk of sounding offensive, Tasco binoculars are not worth repair. A new pair of bins in the $100 range will be a big upgrade.

I have the exact same pair purchased from Dixons many many moons ago and I'd agree for the price they are exceptional - not a patch on the Leicas that I use now, but very good none the less.

Can't help with the query though apart from if you have a 'proper' camera shop in your area that you could take them into. I know of a couple in the NE that will try their hardest to help out with unusual parts like this from amongst the 'spares' they have accumulated over the years letting you try various ones to see if any fit and then charge something ridiculous like 50p!

My apologies, the Tasco products I've had experience with have been very poor. (and VERY inexpensive).Thanks for the enlightenment. I guess it's like buying an astronomical scope for $50, you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the help. I must stress they are old...at least 25 years and great sentimental value as my first pair of binoculars, as well as having a good bright image. I'll look for an old-fashioned photo shop.

Rob

Tasco 7x35 rubber eyecups

Give Action Optics a phone call 01453 833738. Talk to Richard. Bet you he can help as he used to run the Tasco Service Centre for over 15 years and still has some spares left in his workshop. I should know 'cos I'm Richard

Tasco binoculars

Hi Kevin. Tasco was and still is just a brand name. They don't make anything, just source products and have them badged. The same applies to many other "makes" including Swift ( perhaps not all the Audubon models ) Bushnell and Bausch & Lomb; RSPB in the UK; Viking; Opticron, Eschenback; and so on. Some of these are superb insturments and worth every penny whilst some are really budget price and budget quality. The Bausch & Lomb Discoverer is also sold as an Eschenbach Farlux and an RSPB HR. Many of the older Tasco models are worth repairing especially if one can't afford a new many hundreds of pounds/dollars model. For someone starting out, a less expensive model will be fine. When the get the bug, they can save up for something better.

richard866945 said:
Give Action Optics a phone call 01453 833738. Talk to Richard. Bet you he can help as he used to run the Tasco Service Centre for over 15 years and still has some spares left in his workshop. I should know 'cos I'm Richard

Richard,

Excellent, thanks. Will try to ring you either Thursday or Friday.

Rob

richard866945 said:
Hi Kevin. Tasco was and still is just a brand name. They don't make anything, just source products and have them badged. The same applies to many other "makes" including Swift ( perhaps not all the Audubon models ) Bushnell and Bausch & Lomb; RSPB in the UK; Viking; Opticron, Eschenback; and so on. Some of these are superb insturments and worth every penny whilst some are really budget price and budget quality. The Bausch & Lomb Discoverer is also sold as an Eschenbach Farlux and an RSPB HR. Many of the older Tasco models are worth repairing especially if one can't afford a new many hundreds of pounds/dollars model. For someone starting out, a less expensive model will be fine. When the get the bug, they can save up for something better.
Thanks for the information. I knew electronics companies did that but I wasn't aware Tasco didn't manufacture their own products.

7x35 Tasco binoculars

Rob Williams said:
Richard,

Excellent, thanks. Will try to ring you either Thursday or Friday.

Rob

Dod you ever get your eyepieces? I need some also. Could you tell me where I can finf some?

Thanks

I have to say, some of the early binoculars where very good indeed. After the 70's they started to really drop there quality and this is a shame as Tasco could have been one of the leading optical companys today.

The eye cups of old binoculars are not that unique. Look in some junk shops and wherever people discard old binoculars. THey will have eye cups. Keep a mm measure of your eye cups and measure it. Buy the junk pair, keep the eye cups, throw out the bins.

The eye cups of old binoculars are not that unique. Look in some junk shops and wherever people discard old binoculars. THey will have eye cups. Keep a mm measure of your eye cups and measure it. Buy the junk pair, keep the eye cups, throw out the bins.
:t: Great idea!

Seems a lot of older Tasco bins do have deteriorating eyecups. An alternative (cheap) source is https://www.aliexpress.com/ they have quite a variety of styles, sizes and vendors with prices being lower than amazon or ebay. Will take a good while to arrive from China by mail but that's time spent bird watching.

eyecups

Can anyone help? I have an old pair of Tasco 7x35 binoculars bought for me by my parents when I was a teenager (more than a few years ago!). They are really good binoculars and I do not wish to get rid of them. However, around the eyepiece is a piece of black rubber which folds back on itself for wearers of glasses. The problem is one of those rubber cups is wearing out and is about to fall off. I have tried e-mailing Tasco, but had no reply. Anyone know where I can obtain a replacement?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Rob, does the eyecup fit onto a threaded plastic ring that screws on to the eyepiece? If yes, I may have replacement rubber cups.
I used to be the General Service Manager of the firm that included Tasco in its range of products and still have some spares.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back