• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Busch Wildlife, E of St. Louis (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
I had not been there before. I checked out most of the areas, but missed one, got lost at that point. Lots of gravel roads. Most of the birds I found at the trail right behind the visitor cener. Waterfowl and shorebirds were mostly not there, just Canada Geese.

Red Tailed Hawk
Dark Eyed Junco
Chipping Sparrow (a bit more difficult now in fall to ID)
Ovenbird (quite late!)
Red Headed Woodpecker
Downy WP
Red Bellied WP
Tufted Titmouse
Chickadee
both Nuthatches
White Throated Sparrows
Yellow Warbler
Am. Goldfinch
Am. Crow
2 unidentifed waterfowl
Blue Jay
wren, probabbly House Wren (usually see Carolina..)

Our local group will go there Nov 20 and I may go, if I am not tied up at home.

Directions to the area are in the Missouri section, but it is right off I 64.

Last edited:
Sounds like a pretty decent day! Hope it wasn't as windy down there as it was up here. Hopefully I'll get a chance to go to Busch Wildlife one of these days...I go right past it whenever I come home from school...

It was windy, but not bad compared to some days by the river. In winter if you go birding right on the Mississippi, you really have to bundle up. And set up such that you are viewing downwind, if your face gets cold.

This birding may not be much exercise always, but the outdoors sure is in your face at times. ;)

That is great! I've never seen a Red-headed Woodpecker, and only once have seen a Chipping Sparrow, so that list is sure one I would like to have had.

My second trip, today, to the same place. This time with Saint Louis Audubon. Got to confirm my very iffy Purple Finch from last winter.

About 90% the birds we saw:

Canada Geese-Cackling geese
Snow Geese, in air
Yellow Bellied sap Sucker
Red Headed Woodpecker
Brown Creeper
both Nuthatches
Purple Finch
Am. Goldfinch
Red Shouldered Hawk
Red Tailed Hawk
Juncos
Eastern Bluebirds
Sharpie (all saw), Coopers ( a few saw it)
Ring Necked Duck
common Grebe
Shoveler
one Teal, I have no notes
a few waterfowl I did not see
Turkey Vulture
Cedar Waxwing
Jays, Robins
Crows
Song Sparrow

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back