• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Horned Owl and juvenile (1 Viewer)

Brando

We have had a great horned owl nesting in our front yard over the winter. Our back yard being located in Orange County, NY.

I spotted the baby a few weeks ago, up the tree - I guess it was an early venture out of the nest and he stood on the branch all day!
I couldnt' believe it.

I had never seen an owl until maybe 4 months ago. We (husband and me) then saw one in the back yard, briefly, then a few months later saw it again, and we got maybe 4 or 5 of these brief sightings. Then we go and spot baby owl in the tree and realise they had been nesting there. And after spotting him, we of course then spotted the parent owl.

Anyway, 3 or so weeks ago, he found his wings, and he and his parent have moved out of the nest tree, and gone to the back yard of our house, which has woodland at the bottom. And day by day they have been moving futher into the woods. We where still hearing him screech at nights until recently. But now not so much. But I saw him today when I was walking down the back of our yard, so he's still doing well. His mother / father (?) keeps getting bothered by damn ravens! But juvenile is being left alone.

Anyway, total thrill to have these amazing birds so close the last few weeks. We've kept our distance from them, gave them their space.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back