• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The obscure August Vollrath Streubel (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some minor additional details (nothing major) on today's HBW Alive Key entry:
streubelii
August Vollrath Streubel (fl. 1848) German zoologist (syn. Apus caffer).
.... Author of the (very long-titled) Book Der Conservator with the wonderful looooong subtitle Oder Praktische Anleitung, Naturalien Aller Reiche Zu Sammeln, Zu Conserviren Und Fur Wissenschaftliche Zwecke, Wie Auch Zum Vergnugen Aufzustellen: Ein Hilfsbuch Zum Selbstunterricht Für Lehrer an Schulen, Landprediger, Hauslehrer Und Alle Diejenigen, Welche Naturaliensammlungen Zweckmässig, ohne Unnöthigen Zeit- Und Kosten-Aufwand, Anlegen Wollen: Nach Eigenen Erfahrung bearbeitet und mit Tabellen zur leicteren Bestimmung der Mineralien und Pflanzen u. s.w. versehen (Berlin, 1845) here and translator of Cuvier's work, in 1846 (here).

I assume, by him writing the former book, he as well was a; taxidermist (Preparator,) collector, mineralogist and botanist.

Apparently he also published a work titled Naturaliensammler (Leipzig, 1851), but that one (mentioned here, p.55) I cannot find.

He is as well the Author (Auctor) of the Sooty Swift Cypseloides fumigatus STREUBEL 1848 (here) as "Hem. [Hemiprocne] fumigata" (a name coined by Natterer). Also mentioned here, with a picture of the Sooty Swift specimen itself.

However; no other years (birth and death) found on Mr. Streubel.

Anyone else who know who he was?

At least he published again in 1866 here. And Ueber die Stellung der Brachyelytren oder Staphylinen im natürlichen System an article from 1839. And more from 1866 here

Regarding the second I found:

Der Leipziger ärztliche Zweigverein hatte zur Erörterung der Trichinenfrage eine aus den Prof. Streubel, Winter und Reclam und den Doktoren Schildbach, Ploß, Meißner und Goetz aus Lindenau bestehende Commission gewählt,...

Here Pentastomum oder Pentastoma. It looks like he worked as well on Equus

Last one sounds like a mixture with this guy here (again Carl Wilhelm Streubel) or here.

From the introduction of Der Conservator here I would say he lived in Berlin. But here again...

• Zur Trichinenfrage
  • Ueber das Exterieur des Floh's

...indicating our chap.

Anyway here Cypselus Streubelii Harlaub, 1861. It is a new name for Cypselus abyssinicus Streubel, 1848. The article is Die Cypseliden des Berliner Museums pp. 348-373. Maybe a connection to the natural history museum Berlin? Taxidermist of the museum?

Last edited:
August Vollrath Streubel was born 16 Oct 1817. He was married in 1858 in the Berlin Suburb of Brandenburg.

He was the brother of Streubel, Karl Wilhelm (1816 - 1868).

Attached are details of his marriage. There is a lot of extra information here that I can't read.

P

Attachments

• august.JPG
    august.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 14
August Vollrath Streubel was born 16 Oct 1817. He was married in 1858 in the Berlin Suburb of Brandenburg.

Very difficult to read. I read his occupation as something like außerordentlicher Lehrer (teacher). But where, I can't read.

Last edited:
"an der dorotheenstädtischen Realschule" ?

Wow, this one here. It looks like he lived his life in Berlin (and I assume was born in Leipzig as his brother was). Not really the suburb of Berlin.

He was mentioned in here.

Apparently he also published a work titled Naturaliensammler (Leipzig, 1851), but that one (mentioned here, p.55) I cannot find.

This seems to be a reprint. Here as Anleitung Naturalien aller Reiche zu sammeln und für wissenschaftliche Zwecke, wie auch zum Vergnügen aufzustellen. Ein Hülfsbuch für Lehrer und zum Selbstunterricht. Available in Erlangen here.

Last edited:
Herr Streubel

Die Dorotheenstädtische Realshule, where the "außerodentlicher" (extra-ordinary) Lehrer/Teacher/Herr August Vollrath Streubel seems to have worked, at least in the Sommer/Summer half of 1858 (here, in/from Das höhere Schulwesen in Preußen, Berlin 1864), all in German.

Also see the full record In WorldCat, fot this guy (all in all 17 posts, here), with the latest publication: Kleine Beiträge zur reinen und angewandten Naturgeschichte. 1, Zur Trichinenfrage. Über das Exterieur des Floh's, noted in WorldCat, as "Selbstverl. d. Verf., 1866" (published by himself, also in 1866), most likely he was still alive at that point. The same work is also listed here.

If so, if born in 1817 (as found/claimed by Paul, and I see no reason to doubt that such was the case), he would have been in his very late 40's when this work was written/printed, presumably with many years left (if in good health, of course).

He might have been around also in the early 1870's (as of here), even if only listed as "Streubel, ...." (no given names, not even with any Initials), the latter could, of course, be by a different Streubel all together (as there seems to have been quite a few of them in that certain Era), though I think this might be one of those other guys, as it takes us here (to an anonymous/unknown) "Kunstgärtner Streubel in Carlowitz" (?).

But, who knows, maybe he made a change in/of career?

Hopefully of some help in finding him (in full)?

/B
--

Last edited:
Do not think the Obergärtner/Kunstgärtner is our guy. Here as Streubel, W. in Hassitz died 27 March 1915 (74 Years old) here.

Could be that he was later (1866) on the Strahlauer höhere Bürgerschule here. But I think it is him here. He might still there in 1872 (now Andreasschule) here.

Last edited:
Now the link should work. He was mentioned already here in 1859 (entry 68) https://books.google.com/books?id=djSFAAAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-PA39 as member.

Streubel, W., Kunst- und Handelsgärtner in Hassitz bei Glatz

Our person in question:

https://books.google.com/books?id=uwM3AAAAYAAJ&pg=PA464 here in 1844

Streubel , A. V . ehem . Lehrer der . Naturwissenschaften Blumenstr. 64.

https://books.google.com/books?id=GKZmAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA886 in 1875

Streubel , A. V . Lehrer an der Strahlauer höhere Bürgerschule, Gr. Frankfurterstraße 103

https://digital.zlb.de/viewer/image/34115512_1880/986/LOG_0079/ in 1880

Streubel, A. Lehrer der Natrurwisssensch. Grüner Weg 25 III

https://digital.zlb.de/viewer/image/34115512_1889/1705/LOG_0127/ in 1889

Streubel, pens. Lehrer Grüner Weg

https://digital.zlb.de/viewer/image/34115512_1890/1596/LOG_0120/ in 1890

Streubel Ww /Witwer) Widower. Fennstr. 58

If last one is the same person is not 100% clear.

Last edited:
August's wife as a previous document showed was Auguste Emilie Scheerbarth (1811-1889).

Attached is her death certificate indicating that August (underlined in red) was still alive in 1889 and is certifying her death.

Paul

Attachments

• struebel.JPG
    struebel.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 31
As well it is not clear where she is born Břsez Břscz in.....?
It's tricky to read, but doesn't it say: geboren zu Břscz in Russisch Polens alt. ditto in Russisch-Polens (with hyphen) [born in/at Břscz, in Polish Russia/in Russian Poland], like here.

Or not?

Where such a place would be located today? I haven't got a clue.

Either way there must be a desperate shortage of vowels ;)

/B
--

Last edited:
It's tricky to read, but doesn't it say: geboren zu Břscz in Russisch Polens

The old document you linked to says it's on the Bug river and that some significant event happened on 31 December 1436. Searching the web some more led me to this document. Which referred to the city as "Brzesc".

And a bit more web searching led me to Brest, which is now in Belarus (on the Bug river).

Can anyone read the word behind...
wohnhaft zu Berlin
That part is even harder to read (and now I'm fumbling in the dark, very close to guessing), but doesn't it say something like; Aquin/o/a/s, followed by P/B/?ag 25, like in/from a possible Parish (Gemeinde/Pfarrbezirk?) in Berlin ... ?

In this case I think you need an experienced graphologist.

Neither do I know if there is such a Parish (if so, presumably named after Saint Thomas von Aquin/Thomas Aquinas/Thomas of Aquino).

Good luck solving it

/B

We can find her as well here p. 75 of 98.

It might be that here is his father.

Johann Gottlob Streubel, zu Glasten, Hof-Jäger

I think this as he is mentioned in his marriage as Jägers Streubel. This would also explain his love for nature.

If him his father died 15. November 1830 here:

Nachdem am 15. dieses Monats dem von dem verstorbenen Herrn Hofjäger Johann Gottlob Streubel zu Glasten hinterlassenen Sohne , dem dermalen abwesenden Jäger August Friedrich Streubel, der Herr Amtsverwalter Karl Lattermann zu Reichersdorf zum Vormunde gewöhnlichermaßen bestätigt worden ist; so wird solches hiermit der gesetzlichen Vorschrift gemäß zur öffentlichen Kenntni? gebracht. Justizamt Colfitz, den 17ten November 1830.

P.S. How did you come to this conclusion?

He was the brother of Streubel, Karl Wilhelm (1816 - 1868).

Last edited:
Can anyone read the word behind...
wohnhaft zu Berlin....
The last letter of the first word looks like a 's' (rather than a 'r'), but the rest seems pretty consistent with "Grüner Weg" as in:

Last edited:
Oh, Ok that wasn't the one I was looking for. I was looking for the one below the evangelischer Religion. But not that important anymore from my prospective.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back