• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Up-grade to G9 (1 Viewer)

flossiepip

I'm using the G85 on the 100/400 lens for birds but always been a big fan of Olympus and had hoped that the 5 mark 3 would be the answer, certainly with its wonderful AF should be a great camera but its small size and low weight together with its plastic body put me off.
I would guess that the G9 is now getting some use against birds and would love to know if people believe it to be a good step up from the G85.
A few samples from my G85 100/400.

Attachments

• P1000649.jpg
    P1000649.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 42
  • P1020319.jpg
    P1020319.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 48
  • P1020029.jpg
    P1020029.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 44
A few comments:
I am still using my G85, have not upgraded. Therefore no comparison with the G9 (or G90).
I would not be too worried about the plastic in and off itself, I have had 100% plastic cameras that held up surprisingly well.
The 1-ii has been seen with a significant rebate lately ... So either go that direction or wait for the 1-iii?

Notice that the wierdos from Dpreview video liked the firmware upgrades on both 1-ii and G9 (around 6 minutes into https://www.dpreview.com/videos/1978671804/dpreview-tv-the-best-and-worst-cameras-and-lenses-of-2019 )

Niels

The G9 will be a good upgrade so long as you remember how good the G80 is, if you want BIF though i think the EM1MK11 still has the edge.

i had the same thinking, specially with the tempting 900+ USD price. but then i sold my GX9 because i could not get use to the menus.
still don't see any upgrade form my Oly 5 II, since i am hopeless with BIF.
guess i will wait for the new camera coming in the first Q of next year, then i will make my decision.
still i find the G9 a great choice.

I recently was "forced" to upgrade from the G85 to the G9, because unfortunately the G85 was broken. Really happy with the G9, a fantastic camera. The higher resolution, and the even better ergonomics and functionality makes it definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

The main (and to me only) weak point is still BIF against busy background, which just does not work well (Olympus may be better in this regard, but I have no experience with this). The recent firmware update added AF functions which may help in this situation [AF-ON: Near Shift], but I have yet to test it properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back