• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (1 Viewer)

Hi Hugh
Yes, I have a note for Wed 9 April 2014 to say that "I met hughm". Unfortunately, I never got to see or hear your Red-throated Pipit, which would also have been a lifer for me. I also missed some other nice birds, e.g. a Pallid Harrier at C'an Cuarassa (but Maties saw it N of there). I also met one of the Leicester Uni students, who spent the entire day in Es Cibollar I studying feeding patters of B-w Stilt, Egrets and Snipe feeding patterns (from memory, they were doing this independantly and without contacting the Parc). I arrived on the island on 24 March (my birthday treat), and stayed until 15 April. Plenty of great birds but no new birds for my Mallorcan list. I did, however, see a mating pair of European Pond terrapins, which are becoming quite scarce, so that was a good record. I also saw a weasel.

Just a short walk around Porto Colom.
Balearic warblers were present but not very active.
A Tawny pipit showed well and Pallid swifts we’re overhead as usual, they breed along the cliffs near the lighthouse.
Several Hoopoe were flying around, some carrying food so obviously they are breeding nearby too.
It was unusually quiet but it didn’t really matter, the thrill of getting out and about was still liberating.
The balcony Birdwatching kept me going initially but the last two weeks were hard.
Talking to friends, they all said the same thing, that they were near cracking up in the final days.
I hope everyone else is doing ok, it has been a time that nearly all of us have never experienced before and it certainly won’t be forgotten.
Mike

Thanks Martin.
I saw that the split had been confirmed.
As Pep said a while ago, it’s a bit confusing for us Brits, Moltoni’s Warbler is now sylvia subalpina.
We will get used to it I expect.
A couple of Montagu’s harriers were seen a Maria de la Salut I believe, otherwise it’s a bit quiet.
Mike

Alpine Swift

I am watching that Gregor (timsg80) sees Alpine swifts every day near es Capdellà, i guess it it too late to this quantity of migrants, when the main pass is over.

Near es Capdellà it is the Puig of Garrafa, red cliffs mountain, outside the long tunnel going to Andratx. It is a rock wall quite similar to Castell d'Alaro and Castell de Santueri, the 2 vertical cliffs mountains where we know alpine swift colonies.

I guess if maybe there are another breeding colony in the Puig of Garrafa, maybe we have to pay attention around the area.

Last edited:
I am watching that Gregor (timsg80) sees Alpine swifts every day near es Capdellà, i guess it it too late to this quantity of migrants, when the main pass is over.

Near es Capdellà it is the Puig of Garrafa, red cliffs mountain, outside the long tunnel going to Andratx. It is a rock wall quite similar to Castell d'Alaro and Castell de Santueri, the 2 vertical cliffs mountains where we know alpine swift colonies.

I guess if maybe there are another breeding colony in the Puig of Garrafa, maybe we have to pay attention around the area.

I can see the rock wall at Puig de Garaffa from our house, and indeed it is on that side of the house that the Alpine Swifts usually appear, normally just one or two and almost always in the late afternoon. I’ll be keeping an eye out! And will definitely explore Puig de Garrafa if possible.

Along with 2 Alpine Swifts yesterday, a Black Vulture and two Eleonora’s Falcons went over. There was also a male Common Redstart in the garden the day before.

After some strong southwesterlies and a rain shower, it was nice to find a couple more migrants in the garden, with a Whitethroat and at least one Willow Warbler. There can’t be many more to come! Also nice views of a Bonelli’s Eagle being chased by a Peregrine this afternoon.

Attachments

• 7E1C0CD1-D72D-46EB-B19A-BEB21A2B9DD3.jpeg
    7E1C0CD1-D72D-46EB-B19A-BEB21A2B9DD3.jpeg
    556.2 KB · Views: 52
SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 29- 13TH-19TH APRIL 2014
SPOTLIGHT ON SCOPS OWLS
On Sunday off to church, which had now moved from the Catholic Church to a rented shop in the Carrer Mestral, with some resulting changes in the ways of worship, but still nice to celebrate the Resurrection of Christ. Afterwards to the Boquer and the Balearic Warblers showed briefly at the end just before the downslope, and three groups of Bee-eaters flew over high up whilst I was there. A German birder called Benedict had arrived at the Hotel on the Saturday, and in the spirit of international co-operation I tried to show him the Scops Owls in the evening, but they failed to show.
On Monday my wife was unwell, so I took my younger son on the bus to Albufera, where his patience lasted for 3 of the hides! Osprey, Avocet and GCGrebe were nice to see, together with a lot of other waders. In the evening the Scops were calling, but still not visible. On the Tuesday I had to do my share of looking after my sons, which involved joining in the Archery and Shooting at the Hotel. In the evening a German bird tour company, known as Birding Tours , turned up for the Owls, and an argument developed between the leader and Benedict about whether to use a spotlight. The tour leader won, and used the light to show the Owls going in and out of the nest site- and even Benedict was impressed with the best views he had ever had of the species.
Wednesday to the Boquer with the family this time,and to be honest there wasn't much about, although a Spotted Flycatcher was new in, and in the evening a group of Balearic Shearwaters performed offshore for the only time in Pollenca Bay in my 17 seasons there. News had got round the German birding grapevine about the Owls, and in the evening another 13 were there to see them perform.
Thursday was a local walk via the Llenaire Road, Cami Volantina and the new screens area of Albufereta, and a Peregrine downing a Wood Pigeon was impressive, as was a Black Kite moving North, and now 6 Spotless Starlings at the Club del Sol. Friday was our last full day, and the bus to and from Can Picafort was driven by our old friend from Birmingham. Son Real was as beautiful as ever, and Thekla Lark and Tawny Pipit were late additions to the holiday list.
So to Saturday and farewell, although we had a nice lunch at L'Ancla, where the Menu del Dia was Frita, Roast Chicken and salad, and Cheesecake, all for a bargain 8.50 Euros. Our flight back to EMA turned out to be our last with Monarch, although we did not know it then, and had always found the staff and crews to be helpful to us.

Apologies to diverge from birds, but does anyone know the status of the Mallorcan Hare? I saw this individual a few days ago just outside Es Capdellà, and didn’t think a huge amount of it at the time, before reading on Wikipedia that the Mallorcan Hare is believed to be extinct? However I then found a recent video of one from Son Real. Is it just a rare species here? Thanks!

Attachments

• 991C202F-8A26-41FA-BBF4-DD6E189636FF.jpeg
    991C202F-8A26-41FA-BBF4-DD6E189636FF.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 57
Hi Gregor, all things Mallorca are of interest, mammals, moths and any other insects.
I have seen Hare here quite a few times but I know nothing of their distribution or status.
I would like to know so if anyone can help, that would be appreciated.
Mike

Last edited:
Hi,
Hares were very scarce some years ago, it was super difficult to see one.
During the lasts years they have been increasing more and more, and now in many zones of Majorca it seems easier to see a hare than a rabbit.
So they are not scarce now.

Hi Gregor, all things Mallorca are if interest, mammals, moths and any other insects.
I have seen Hare here quite a few times but I know nothing of their distribution or status.
I would like to know so if anyone can help, that would be appreciated.
Mike

I had one that ran over my toes just off the track to the Hide in Albufereta last summer.Let's just say,It is the best natural laxative available. ;)

I had one that ran over my toes just off the track to the Hide in Albufereta last summer.Let's just say,It is the best natural laxative available. ;)

I also saw one years ago but I now can't remember exactly where. I know there's a short paper about observations in s'Albufera (Vicens, P. et al, OBSERVACIONS DE LLEBRE A S’ALBUFERA. In: BUTLLETÍ DEL PARC NATURAL S’ALBUFERA DE MALLORCA, NÚMERO 1).

Last edited:
Hares

We have had a number of hares in our garden (field) on the southern edge of Campos, especially in spring/early summer over the years. The young ones' defensive strategy is just to sit tight, which means it is possible to get up close to them. See the photo.

Attachments

• Campos May 18-224.jpg
    Campos May 18-224.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
That’s a brilliant photo derban.
A quick visit to the central plain, Pla de lanzell, produced four common Kestrel and one Marsh Harrier.
I didn’t hang around long, apparently a Montagu’s Harrier has been seen, possibly the slim Harrier I saw the other day.
No sign of any Red-footed falcons but they may still be around, I wanted to stay longer but I get nervous and no longer use a telescope as it’s too obviously a birding activity.
I also called in at Salobrar de Campos but really just a drive-by.
Jasón has been today and he did rather well. I hope he posts but if not, I can give details tomorrow.
Three Little terns there today.
Mike

Thanks all, really interesting to hear about the Hares! And a fantastic photo Derban. They’re listed in multiple places as being extinct which is very odd, it’s great to hear that they’re doing quite well.

I too visited Pla de Lanzell Mike, and found a male Red-footed Falcón there at about 1740. I had a decent view of it hunting for a while before I got spooked by a car approaching, I’m still not quite sure about whether we’re allowed to be out birding so I quickly left ;) What an amazing number of birds there are there! It was my first visit to the plains of Mallorca, so a few island ticks for me, with Short-toed Lark, Corn Bunting, Tree Sparrow, Quail and Spotless Starling along with the falcon. Also a surprise to find a Little Ringed Plover, Moorhen, Mallard and two Little Egrets at the depuradora there.

Last edited:
Pla de Lanzell is a fabulous place to visit.
I take for granted the number and variety of species seen there.
When I went there with Stewb, I remember he was astonished to see so many birds which seemed quite normal to me but I must agree it can be alive with buntings, finches, larks and pipits. It’s very good for raptor passage too.
Like you, I’m rather spooky at the moment because we are not supposed to be there and certainly not birding. I am not using my scope at the moment as it’s a bit of a giveaway!
As Pep suggested, if I’m aprehended, I will say I’m on my way to lunch, which is allowed, and I just stopped off for a break.
I don’t like it though. I did the same at Salobrar and with such a quick visit, I didn’t see much but as Jason has just proved, there were plenty of good birds there.
I will be glad when we have total freedom of movement though, I really don’t like flouting the rules.
Very windy today but I will get back to these two sites as soon as I can.
Mike

Now a Lesser Kestrel at Pla de lanzell as well as a couple of Red-footed falcons, superbly photographed by Juanjo.
I’m pretty sure the Kestrel was there yesterday but it was too distant to be totally confident.
I will be back there in the morning, if not this afternoon. Still very windy and the plain is not the best place to be under those circumstances.
Juanjo also found a Melodious Warbler at Formentor, a nice bird for Mallorca.
Mike

I wish I'd spent more time looking at the kestrels yesterday! The only ones that came close enough to identify were both Common and my attempts at photographing a very distant possible Lesser came out horrendously. Hopefully it will still be around in a couple of days, I'm very keen to make another trip over there.

The strong winds put me off going out birding this morning, but the garden has been reasonably productive. After a short rain shower this morning, a Garden Warbler and a Willow Warbler dropped in but left almost immediately. A number of Black Vultures have gone overhead including a group of three, along with a Bonelli's Eagle. Also nice to see the Long-tailed Tits again, I've been hearing them most days recently. I've attached a very dodgy record shot.

Attachments

• 1605ltt.jpg
    1605ltt.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back