• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in 2020, Coronavirus et al, an East European View (1 Viewer)

I know that my friend snuck up into the hills for a night in the wilderness. Yes I know the counter arguments but I was super jealous as I am of this thread.

There is something magical about the Black Woodpecker but the prize for me is the White Backed - another spring goes by without any proper success and this year prospecting....

2-3 April. A Bucketload of Weather.

Coronavirus cases up by another 120, total now just shy of 700, one more death associated with Ukmerge hospital. One of a minority of countries not in total lockdown, Lithuania's Prime Minister is now mulling doing the exact opposite - relaxing some of the shutdown restrictions, specifically allowing cafes and non-food shops to reopen. Albeit with a slightly sinister suggestion of requiring persons to download an app to track their movements.

Snow all gone, only to be replaced by rain and gusting winds for nigh on two days! Spent most of the time peering out of the cabin window, a Middle Spotted Woodpecker alongside several Great Spotted Woodpeckers on the adjacent feeders, the Reed Bunting also now accompanied by a couple of Yellowhammers. Just beyond, single Woodcocks flushed on both days were a surprise – a summer visitor to Lithuania, I usually see only one or two per year, but often none.

Equally nice, one Water Rail in the flood forest (very rare in spring, usually get them in August) and, mid-afternoon on the 3rd, just when the sun finally decided to show, the return of the first Marsh Harriers, a pair immediately engaging in courtship display right adjacent to the breeding ground of the Cranes. And cherry on the cake, a musical ensemble playing in the background - big flocks of Redwings, not usually an abundant migrant on my land. But here they were these days, flocks all over the place, large numbers sitting atop trees around my cabin, almost all in song and melodious warble.

5 April. Big Birdwatch.

6.30 am, bit chilly, woke in my cabin, ramped up the gas heater, put on the kettle. Dawn chorus in full swing - Skylark, Fieldfare, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Starling, Yellowhammer among the early singers, Cranes yodelling, Bittern booming off yonder. From the window, first sightings of the day, two White Storks atop a distant nest, then Jay at the feeders and Grey Herons and flights of Great White Egrets heading out from the colony.

Coffee duly drunk, took a two-hour stroll, cutting through the woodland and wetland edge, thereafter back through meadows. Snipe and Green Sandpipers, Great, Middle and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, Bitterns still booming, Water Rail squealing, a pair of Marsh Harriers active over their nest site. Plenty of common birds, plus a little bit of migration, with incoming flights of Chaffinches, Redwings, Fieldfares and White Wagtails. Deviated to incorporate a patch of spruce, the only area on my land to regularly get Coal Tits and Goldcrests, them got lucky with a roosting Tawny Owl.

Now 9.00 am, already 42 species seen, back for breakfast. Despite still nippy, tucked into my porridge on the outside bench, Magpie, fly-over Mute Swans, Bean and White-fronted Geese and a perching Great Grey Shrike for my reward - the later particularly nice, usually just a winter visitor to my land. Breakfast and another coffee over, a wander to the edge of my property to scan adjacent White Stork nests, twitching the Tree Sparrows and House Sparrows that nest within the storks' nests. Duly saw them, plus Linnets, so wandered to an area of regenerating scrub the other side of my land, Woodlarks on breeding territory, my first Chiffchaff of the year and a rather nice Grey-headed Woodpecker.

Approaching midday, and almost back at my cabin and enjoying the sun now showing considerable warmth, I was now in for the highlight of the day – a gaggle of geese attracted my attention to the sky, but there to a backdrop of picture perfect blue was a sight most pleasant – sharing a thermal, one adult White-tailed Eagle and one Black Stork! White-tailed Eagles are reasonably regular on my land, Black Storks aren't anymore! In former years, there used to be pretty much annual, but this was only the second in the last seven years, so pretty happy I was.

And then it was time for barbecue, aka doing nothing but sitting in the sun and scanning the sky. So passed several lazy hours, a steady stream of White Storks drifting north, mostly threes and fours, but also one flock of 23, also a number of Cranes and Buzzards northbound too. One more White-tailed Eagle, an immature this time and one new bird for the day, a Sparrowhawk. As evening approached, and with the day's tally sitting at 61, I took another walk, this time adding only Long-tailed Tits. Then, however, I returned for a grand finale upon my bench - just after 7.00 pm, a magnificent Lesser Spotted Eagle flying directly across my view, my first of the year and a very nice bird. Not long after, three Whooper Swans did a fly-by and then, to end the day in style, a little bit of a stake out – at 8.30 pm the previous evening, a Woodcock had passed over by cabin, calling its little grunt. So there I waited in expectation ...and at 8.30 pm, so it went over again! So the dying embers of the day, bird number 65 for my land.

6-8 April. Partial Lockdown.

Coronavirus cases now at 912, up 220 or so in the last four days, deaths at 15. Lithuanian government announces a PARTIAL LOCKDOWN for the coming Easter weekend - for three days, movement between municipalities prohibited, entry into all cities and towns across the country will be restricted. Very clever to announce so early however, just means everyone will just travel in advance of the lockdown! Wearing of face masks to become mandatory, currently only 20-30% of folk using them.

Meanwhile, up on my land, a growing sense of spring - temperature up to a pleasant 18 C, sun in full force. And with the sun, butterflies back on show (several Yellow-legged Tortoiseshells, a very nice Camberwell Beauty, a few Small Tortoiseshells and Peacocks, a couple of Commas and plenty of Brimstones), plus good numbers of amphibians out to play, lumbering Common Toads, a few Common Frogs and heaving hordes of Moor Frogs racheting up their annual din! Top of the lot though, a new species for my land, two Smooth Newts in one of my excavated pools, very pleased with those!

On the bird front, two new for the year - one smart Black-tailed Godwit in summer dress on the floodpool on the 6th, then my first returning Pied Flycatcher on the 8th. Equally nice, Woodcock is now a regular evening bird, roding at dusk on a regular crcuit, plus Water Rail and Bittern continuing their vocal ways.

Last edited:
9 April.

Not a lot happening today, weather turned not so nice, details of weekend lockdown thrashed out, three Wigeon on my land (seventh record for my land).

I'm still coming to stay there...

I had a fly over Green Woodpecker at breakfast. Saw well enough to verify that it wasn't a Spanish Green.

10 April. Preparation for Lockdown.

Country prepares for weekend lockdown, but so many holes in it that nothing much changes in reality. Wearing of face masks now compulsory in public places. Coronavirus virus cases hit a total of 999, deaths rise to 22.

Masses of amphibians on my land now, breeding in the excavated pools, the newly discovered Smooth Newts actually seeming abundant, frogs of three species also very active, especially Moor Frogs. Wigeon flock increased to five! Two new species for the year - a Common Redshank and a Hawfinch.

11-12 April. Lockdown Starts.

Lithuania is officially under lockdown, movement between municipalities prohibited, number of Coronavirus cases breaks the 1000 barrier. Not much difference to me, I have barely been off my land in weeks now!

11 April. A fine day it was - quite chilly, but glorious sunshine. And in it, one Black Redstart feeding on soil laid bare by Wild Boars, one immature White-tailed Eagle overhead and a mini wader fest on the flood pool - no less than five species present (eight Lapwings, six Green Sandpipers, two Black-tailed Godwits, one Redshank, five Common Snipe).

And a few snapshots of the work of the vandals of the lockdown! All on my land this day, Wild Boars rooting up the meadows, Black Woodpeckers demolishing the rotting stumps, a bull Moose shredding countless stratching posts and Badger excacvating a new burrow near my cabin.

12 April. Cloudy breezy day, and pretty quiet on the migration front. White-backed Woodpecker added to the week's woodpecker tally, then a few hours enduring a deckchair to await raptors. A far nicer prospect on a warm sunny day, but the rewards did come - a steady trickle of Common Buzzards and Marsh Harriers, better still one Rough-legged Buzzard and, top bird of the day, a northbound Osprey, sharing the overhead skies with three soaring White Storks.

Potentially even more cool was a pair of Whooper Swans - a regular fly-over species and occasional on flood pools, this pair had decided to take up residence in an area of perfect breeding habitat within my flood forest. Closed canopy forest a little over fifteen years ago, Beavers have subsequently raised the water levels, drowning the trees, Black Woodpeckers speeding up their demise. Extensive reeds have now colonised, a forest ecosystem transformed into a perfect wetland with breeding Bitterns, Marsh Harriers and Sedge Warblers, feeding Great White Egrets and occasionals such as Little Crake and Savi's Warbler, it really would be bee's knees to have Whooper Swans breeding too!

Friend had been here for a couple of days, two police checkpoints for them on route back to Vilnius, all cars checked.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell lab 2.jpg
    Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell lab 2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell lab 3.jpg
    Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell lab 3.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Small Tortoiseshell lab 1.jpg
    Small Tortoiseshell lab 1.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 31
  • Brimstone lab 1.jpg
    Brimstone lab 1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 29
Amphibians...

Smooth Newt
Common Toad
Moor Frogs, or at least future Moor Frogs :)

Attachments

• Smooth Newt lab 1.jpg
    Smooth Newt lab 1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Common Toad, spring 2.jpg
    Common Toad, spring 2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Moor Frog lab 1.jpg
    Moor Frog lab 1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 38
Signs of a vandal...

Moose

Attachments

• Moose lab 1.jpg
    Moose lab 1.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Moose lab 2.jpg
    Moose lab 2.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Moose lab 3.jpg
    Moose lab 3.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 43
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back