• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss USA repair (1 Viewer)

Robert Moore

I just sent my 10x42 SF in for service. Focus wheel not smooth, slightly out of alignment, and diopter knob pops up with no effort and does not click when you push it down. Just wondering if anyone on here has had the same issue and what turn around time might be. Mine is the early gray version.

I just sent my 10x42 SF in for service. Focus wheel not smooth, slightly out of alignment, and diopter knob pops up with no effort and does not click when you push it down. Just wondering if anyone on here has had the same issue and what turn around time might be. Mine is the early gray version.

If they have to go back to Wetzlar, which I'll bet they do, be prepared for a long wait. My FL's took 15 weeks, and that was before the shutdown.

If they can do repair them in here, it would be much shorter. Maybe 3-4 weeks, but that's a guess.

My HTs had to go back to Wetzler for a focus knob issue (the previous owner installed an after-market tripod adapter that I think messed it up). I don't remember exactly, but it was in the 6+ week range.

Zeiss USA service did offer to send me a loaner pair if I needed them, such as for an event. If they do go back to Wetzler, you could ask for a loaner, never hurts!

Zeiss' big dog in optical repair in the US was Senior Chief Opticalman Warren Nuckols; he has been dead for years. Opticalman First Class, Cory Suddarth, owns Suddarth Optical Repair in Henryetta, OK. Ask about his services. If there had been a better tech between Seattle and his house in Florida, I would have hired him to help me at Captain's in Seattle. There wasn't!

And in less than 90 days there will be another tech to choose from.

Bill Cook, Chief Opticalman, USN Ret. :cat:

Last edited:
I have talked to Cory on the phone about some other binoculars and he is really nice. Zeiss should fix my SF under warranty that’s why I didn’t call Cory. Be nice if they would just send it to him for warranty repairs

I have talked to Cory on the phone about some other binoculars and he is really nice. Zeiss should fix my SF under warranty that’s why I didn’t call Cory. Be nice if they would just send it to him for warranty repairs

I can't say all I know about that.

‘Just that, with optical companies, things are not always as they appear. For example, a few people didn’t want me to work on their Fujinon binoculars—although I had already worked on a few hundred; they wanted to send them back to the east coast to be work on by “official Fujinon technicians.” There was only one and he worked primarily on their Stabiscope. But they were happy spending their money to ship the bino from Seattle to Wayne, New Jersey, not understanding that Fujinon would turn around and send it to their warranty repair center ... Brian Osterberg, Baker Marine at Shelter Island San Diego. Brian’s Dad was a Navy Opticalman who taught him the ropes. The customer could have had their binocular back sooner—and probably costing less—had they left it with me. And I was always Zeiss’ choice for out of warranty repair. But hey, what does ZEISS know about optics and binoculars? :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back