• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A question: Rescue fledgling sparrow or no? (1 Viewer)

kitkat92

Hi all
First and foremost, apologies if I posted in the wrong section - I wasn't sure where I should ask this.
This evening I noticed a lone fledgling sparrow on my patio, clearly unable to fly yet but she was picking at some seed on the floor before going into hiding somewhere under my window. I quietly went out to check and she was hidden away behind a piece of garden furniture up against my house.
I put a towel over a rather exposed entrance to her hide(she can get out through the side) and let her be.
After checking as it was starting to get dark, she was still inside her hide. No parents around or any other birds.

I'm unsure of what to do for the best. I understand when they fledge they need to hop around on the floor for a while until they can fly, but I worry that she's been alone all evening/night. I have kept my notorious hunter cat in all night, much to his frustration.

She is still fuzzy but has all her feathers. I leave food out and refill on a daily basis, so I always have plenty of birds on the garden - including groups of sparrows who I have seen feeding their young recently on the patio, but she looks a little younger.
Does this sound about right for a little fledgling sparrow to be feeding on her own? Or should I intervene? I just want what's best for the little mite.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Hi Kitkat and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. I should leave things as they are for tonight and yes, keeping the cat indoors would be very helpful.

See how things are in the morning. Please come back with an update and we'll maybe able to advise more then.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there kitkat and a warm welcome to you from across the pond ;)

What you've witnessed is fairly common when fledglings leave the nest. The parents will come down occasionally to feed them but try to get them to eat on their own.

If you don't mind, could you please keep us updated on this little one?

Ah I see. I've never had any sparrow fledglings in the garden before, only adults and young. So I'm unsure as to what's "normal" behaviour. After doing a bit of googling, I still didn't feel right to just leave it at that.
Of course I will keep you updated, and thank you for the quick response.

Hello again.
Just a quick update: I woke up at the crack of dawn and curtain-twitched until daybreak to keep my eye out. I saw all the usual birds come, feed and go, but nothing from the little one.
When all was quiet, I took a quick peek at the fledgling's hiding spot and she was gone. I had a quick look around the patio area to see if I could spot her, but nothing. I'm pretty sure if my neighbours saw me tiptoeing around my garden at 5am in my slippers, they'd think I finally lost my marbles.
I'm taking this as a good sign though, but will still keep my eye out.
Thanks again for the quick and helpful responses.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back