• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beaver or something else? - S Germany (1 Viewer)

Sangahyando

Germany
Saw this guy passing by in an area where beavers are apparently resident (having been observed by others, plus visible traces of tree felling activity).
The one thing that makes me a bit unsure of the ID is that the lower back is visible above the water line. I've heard that in beavers, typically only the head and shoulders show, while Coypu and other swimming rodents swim with their back well visible. Also, Coypu are resident in a place not very far away from where this animal was seen (albeit a different habitat).
The critter was at least as big as a cat, so Muskrat should be out of the question.

Attachments

• DSCF8027.jpg
    DSCF8027.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 102
To me the head shape says Beaver. Coypu has more of a square head. When swimming the amount of body they show is quite variable depending on what they are doing, how they are feeling and what age they are (kits tend to be more buoyant and sit higher in the water.

Cheers

John

Muskrat are bigger than you think, I've noticed that you get a more turbulent wake from a Beaver due to the power ful tail and you can see it in my shot from Belarus.

Here's a Muskrat too (left) from my patch in Russia.

Attachments

• Muskrat.jpg
    Muskrat.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 49
  • _dsc7204_23217090084_o.jpg
    _dsc7204_23217090084_o.jpg
    843.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Beaver for me, probably young.

Coypu has bigger and slightly bulging muzzle which is slightly longer than eyes-to-ears area, more grey fur with a whitish area around whiskers, more prominent ears, broader and more hairy naked nasal area.

All three (beaver, coypu and muskrat) occur around my place. Which parts of the body are above water is not a constant character in my experience.

FWIW we think this is Coypu, probably young. The white fur around snout and yellowish around ears makes it really wrong for Beaver and the overall jizz is totally wrong for Muskrat.

Btw. we looked up a lot of pictures online and there is so much misidentification in google image results - often even when you can see the tail which is completely diagnostic between the three species.

FWIW we think this is Coypu, probably young. The white fur around snout and yellowish around ears makes it really wrong for Beaver and the overall jizz is totally wrong for Muskrat.

Btw. we looked up a lot of pictures online and there is so much misidentification in google image results - often even when you can see the tail which is completely diagnostic between the three species.
I don't see white fur round the snout on this, just whitish reflection of light. Behind that you can see the rest of the large rubbery black bare snout: still Beaver for me.

John

Thanks both for the input.

I readily believe that (it's the same story with birds, cultural artifacts, etc.), however in this case I'm inclined to stick with Beaver for the reasons John pointed out, and because beavers are resident in the area (I've seen gnawed-off trees, and the authorities had to fence off some areas doe to beaver damage), whereas I have no proof of Coypu being present, at least within a 20km radius or so.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back