• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Geovid vs Swarovski (1 Viewer)

NZbinodude

New Zealand
Hi guys,

Bit of an apple vs orange question...

I'm a deer stalker and I'm swinging between a pair of Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42's, or a Swaro NL and a seperate hand-held rangefinder.

Would the Swaro NL be superior enough (optically) to warrant not choosing the more practical Geovid, and opting for a monocular rangefinder + an NL, instead?

I just sold a pair of SV Field Pro's - which I considered on-par with the Leica Geovids, optically. Please keep in mind that I'm not as discerning as some of you folk.

Thanks.

Hi guys,

Bit of an apple vs orange question...

I'm a deer stalker and I'm swinging between a pair of Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42's, or a Swaro NL and a seperate hand-held rangefinder.

Would the Swaro NL be superior enough (optically) to warrant not choosing the more practical Geovid, and opting for a monocular rangefinder + an NL, instead?

I just sold a pair of SV Field Pro's - which I considered on-par with the Leica Geovids, optically. Please keep in mind that I'm not as discerning as some of you folk.

Thanks.

Surely a decision based on convenience.
A monocular range finder is a lot less comfortable to use than a Geovid style binocular, plus it is an extra item to carry.
The NL should be materially more comfortable to observe with (lighter and better optically), so if your main use is glassing the animals with RF snaps only on occasion, then perhaps it makes sense.

Surely a decision based on convenience.
A monocular range finder is a lot less comfortable to use than a Geovid style binocular, plus it is an extra item to carry.
The NL should be materially more comfortable to observe with (lighter and better optically), so if your main use is glassing the animals with RF snaps only on occasion, then perhaps it makes sense.

Hi etudiant,

Thanks.

You're right that it's more convenient to lug one item v.s two.

If I had a choice between the Swaro EL SV and the Geovid, I'd go Geovid. But this new NL sounds even better optically, with better ergonomics to boot.

Because I spend vastly more time glassing animals than shooting, I'm tempted to go for the NL and put up with the slight inconvenience of multiple items.

I suppose the best thing to do is wait until September and try some pairs out.

Hi etudiant,

Thanks.

If I had a choice between the Swaro EL SV and the Geovid, I'd go Geovid. But this new NL sounds even better optically, with better ergonomics to boot.

Because I spend vastly more time glassing animals than shooting, I'm tempted to go for the NL and put up with the slight inconvenience of multiple items.

Apart from the inconvenience, the switch from binocular observation to range finding with the monocular seems a great way to lose sight of a target animal if it is a ways off. I lose birds repeatedly just in the process of lifting my binoculars and would think that far off deer moving in the shrubbery could be equally elusive.

Hi etudiant,

Thanks.

I think you should wait, and you may find you should not have sold your SV.

If you have much experience, you would know a rangefinder is often not needed. I say this as someone with 50 years in the field. I do not need
a rangefinder, I have one, but just a novelty, never used.

Jerry

Agree that they're more of a 'nice to have' than a strict necessity (people have hunted for aeons without them).

I don't use a rangefinder in the bush. But judging distances in broken, mountainous terrain (chasing tahr and chamois) can sometimes throw me off - especially if animals are standing on a ridge across a series of gullies.

I've been enjoying my Geovids for many years. I've had the Swaro SV's in both 10x42 and 8.5x42, great optics no doubt, but when it comes to hunting I always grab my Geovids and continue to be impressed with them as a very handy tool offering a view right on the heals of my now sold swaros.

I think both systems work well if you buy nice stuff.

I have binoculars and a monocular rangefinder. This system works for me.

My rangefinder is pretty small and lightweight. it probably weighs about 8 oz and can fit in most pockets. I don't use it most days, but it is nice to have with me. When I do use it, I am not in a hurry as a matter of personal technique.

All of the rangefinding binoculars that I have tried were simply not as good as their non-rangefinding counterparts due to the view, the ergonomics, or both (Geovid vs Noctivid or Ultravid, EL Range vs. EL, RF vs SF...). So I have prioritized binocular performance over rangefinding functionality.

I live in a place with dense vegetation and topography, so measuring great distances is typically impossible. If I lived somewhere with more open terrain, I may have different priorities.

Having said all that, the rangefinding binoculars that you are thinking about are very good. You might also consider the Zeiss's if you go that route.

I would definitely go with the NL and a separate rangefinder.
Actually, I would never consider any binocular with a built-in rangefinder simply because if the electronics in the rangefinder fail, I'm left with half an instrument. |8(|

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back