Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Where to bird 'round Burlington, plus

Old Friday 9th March 2007, 00:24   #1
birderbf
Wild, Wild West ................... ern Spindalis

Where to bird 'round Burlington, plus

The first post in this forum! Hopefully there is someone out there who knows and can recommend a place to go birding around burlington? Apparently I hear Moose Bog is the closest place to go for boreal species. What can be found at Dead Creek, besides tons of Snow Geese?
Old Friday 9th March 2007, 13:14   #2
steveo
King Midas in reverse

When are you going to be in the Burlington area? Ive got alot of info depending on the season and your specific hopes, i.e. shorebirds, waterfowl, warblers ect...
Old Friday 9th March 2007, 19:49   #3
birderbf

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo
When are you going to be in the Burlington area? Ive got alot of info depending on the season and your specific hopes, i.e. shorebirds, waterfowl, warblers ect...
July is the month I'll be there. I hope to see Bicknell's Thrush (apparently good location just a few miles north of Burlington. I was also hoping for boreal species (Crossbills, summer winter finches?, gray jay, three-toed and black-backed woodpecker, yellow-bellied flycatcher, broad-winged hawk), but so far the only location I can find mentioned is Moose Bog, on the other side of the state. There must be a boreal patch cloeser to Burlington? (I have just put in an order for "Birdwatching in Vermont", which should clear this up just in case anyone can't).

Also I have friends who live in Addison by the Dead Creek WMA. I have seen the giant flock of Snow Geese, but what else is there? national Goegrpahic's (general!) Guide to the Eastern U.S. mentions Upland Sandpiper, Bobolink and Vesper Sparrow (the latter I think I've seen in their yard). Are these possible, or more than likely? Anything else of interest?

Thanks,
Old Saturday 10th March 2007, 20:58   #4
steveo
King Midas in reverse

Great call on ordering Birdwatching in Vermont it is a great book with tons of info on all of these subjucts and more. Bicknell's thrush is on Mount Mansfield(Stowe Mountain Resort) tough to locate but if you get up there early and watch the tops of the short pines one just might find you. You can hike up one of many trails or drive up on the toal road. Bobolinks seem very common in the grass fields in stowe. Broad winged hawks nest behind the Green Mountain Inn Mansfield House above the back parking lot in the tall pines. I'll post anything good from the upcoming spring/summer here. Good luck
Old Saturday 10th March 2007, 21:21   #5
birderbf

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo
Great call on ordering Birdwatching in Vermont it is a great book with tons of info on all of these subjucts and more. Bicknell's thrush is on Mount Mansfield(Stowe Mountain Resort) tough to locate but if you get up there early and watch the tops of the short pines one just might find you. You can hike up one of many trails or drive up on the toal road. Bobolinks seem very common in the grass fields in stowe. Broad winged hawks nest behind the Green Mountain Inn Mansfield House above the back parking lot in the tall pines. I'll post anything good from the upcoming spring/summer here. Good luck
It looks like all the North American thrushes might breed at the Bicknell's spot, save Gray-cheeked. I remmeber reading somewhere that they al have different elevation preferences though; wood thrush in the lowlands, veery a little farther up, then hermit, then swainson's, then Bicknell's. Do you have any personal experience, Steveo, of this species? Any good way to separate it from other thrushes at a glance if it isn't singing. It will be singing in July, right? I really hope it will!
Old Friday 16th March 2007, 20:40   #6
birderbf

I just received the book. After a brief overview, I got the impression that the only chance at seeing boreal birds is either the NW Kingdom or the green mountains. Any possible sites in the Champlaign valley? Or nearby?
Old Tuesday 8th May 2007, 11:52   #7
steveo
King Midas in reverse

I've now heard that the amherst trail above 3000 feet is a good spot for bicknell's. I'm gonna search them out before july I'll give you a report.
Old Wednesday 30th May 2007, 03:38   #8
marcus

I really figured that I would see more thread in the Vermont list, since according to an official survey of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Servive, Vermont is the no. 1 birder state.
But then I suppose that more people are actually birding then looking thru BirdForum forums, huh?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: