• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HR WP 8x42 (and RSPB HG 7x42) (1 Viewer)

MacGee

Here's my short review of the Opticron HR WP 8x42, compared to the RSPB HG 7x42.

Ergonomics

I have trouble handling both of these. The HG is very heavy and compact, more so for me with my narrow IP. I've compared it often to having an iron bar dangling from my neck. The HR WP is lighter and hangs better, but when I hold it in the most natural position, my finger doesn't reach the focus wheel. I have to hold it with my right hand in an awkward, uncomfortable position. This wouldn't be the case for someone with bigger hands.

Ease of View
The HG is the outright winner here. Its 40mm eyepiece, 6mm exit pupil and 140m FOV provide a beautiful view. The HR WP, with its 34mm eyepiece, 5mm exit pupil and 112m FOV is perfectly pleasant to use, but it lacks the stellar quality of the HG.

Optics
This time the HR WP is the winner by a distance. The HG has always seemed to me sharp, bright and contrasty - excellent in fact. If not for the weight, I wouldn't have been looking at any other binoculars at all. But the HR WP is so much better in every respect, it just blows the HG out of the water. The Kikkert Spesialisten 8x42 review gives the following scores for resolution, contrast and brightness:

10+ 11 10+ Zeiss FL
11– 11– 10 Leica Ultravid
11– 11– 10– Swarovski El
10+ 10+ 9+ HR WP
10 10+ 10– Leica BN

This suggests the HR WP is only a hair's breadth away from the top three, and that's certainly how it feels in use, though it won't measure up ergonomically or for ease of view.

Conclusion
No overall winner for me. If I could find binoculars that married the optical qualities of the HR WP to the ease of view of the HG, but with much better ergonomics than either, a 1m close focus, a weight under 500g and a price under £400, I would have nothing more to wish for. Maybe I'm asking for better than alpha binoculars at less than gamma prices.

Michael

Ease of View
The HG is the outright winner here. Its 40mm eyepiece, 6mm exit pupil and 140m FOV provide a beautiful view. The HR WP, with its 34mm eyepiece, 5mm exit pupil and 112m FOV is perfectly pleasant to use, but it lacks the stellar quality of the HG.

Michael

Would it not naturally have a better field of view anyway, being only 7 x Magnification?

Rather than 8x on the HR WP.

Would it not naturally have a better field of view anyway, being only 7 x Magnification?

Rather than 8x on the HR WP.
Rob, I don't think there's any direct relationship between magnification and FOV, as there is between magnification and DOF. Opticron themselves have a few 7x binoculars with miserly FsOV and 8x ones with generous FsOV. For example, the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Imagic BGA SE.[/FONT]

Michael

I've been using the HR WP quite a bit since I wrote the above review and I've become more impressed by its optical quality. It's amazingly good. In fact I'm coming to understand the Leissovsky owners who claim that their binoculars have led them to have an epiphany. I feel quite epiphanic myself.

The focus wheel turns through 720° from lock to lock, and this is sometimes a problem. If I've left the focus on its closest position and then want to look at something distant, I have to birl the wheel like mad. Mostly it's not a problem, though.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Glad you like your new HR WP. Do you still have trouble holding them, or is this easier now you've used them for some time? It's my experience that a new pair of bins take some time to get used to, i.e. the feeling.

Greetings, Ronald

Do you still have trouble holding them, or is this easier now you've used them for some time? It's my experience that a new pair of bins take some time to get used to, i.e. the feeling.
Hi, Ronald. I got an illustrated tour of the HR WP's good and bad points today. I was watching a [SIZE=-1]golden-ringed dragonfly laying eggs in a bog and the view was stunning; I could count the scales on its wings. After a while though, I realised that the strap was hurting my hand and had to adjust my grip to a less natural one. Later on, I heard ravens calling and looked up to see a pair flying just over my head. I got them in the bins, only to find I was still on close focus from the dragonfly. By the time I had spun the wheel far enough, they were dots in the sky.

I got them to use at hides and for distant things, meaning to use the lightweight Leupold Katmai 6x30 for all other occasions. Despite their problems though, and the fact that they're heavy enough to hurt my neck, I find myself picking up the HR WP most of the time now. But I don't think I'll ever find them comfortable—the stretch to the focus wheel strains my hand unless I hold the bins in a completely unnatural way—but I'll persevere. Until I can lay my hands on a Zeiss 7x42 FL, that is.

Michael

[/SIZE]

I've been using the HR WP quite a bit since I wrote the above review and I've become more impressed by its optical quality. It's amazingly good. In fact I'm coming to understand the Leissovsky owners who claim that their binoculars have led them to have an epiphany. I feel quite epiphanic myself.

The focus wheel turns through 720° from lock to lock, and this is sometimes a problem. If I've left the focus on its closest position and then want to look at something distant, I have to birl the wheel like mad. Mostly it's not a problem, though.

Michael

They are a remarkable pair of bins, if opticron made a 7x42 pair with improved field of view and a faster focus wheel with a regular dioptic adjustment on the right eyepiece they would have a market leader.

Matt

They are a remarkable pair of bins, if opticron made a 7x42 pair with improved field of view and a faster focus wheel with a regular dioptic adjustment on the right eyepiece they would have a market leader.

Matt

Matt,

I don't understand. There is a current clamour for optical manufacturers to compete with 'The Big Boys' and I think that the move by Opticron to move the diopter adjustment wheel to the central 'lockable' wheel is a leap forward and should be commended; you can not accidentally move the diipter adjustment any mopre just like the Leica, Swaro etc. As for the optics...Well I think that they out-perform any similarly priced Roof prisms by a country mile and £ for £ are a remarkable buy

Hi, Ronald. I got an illustrated tour of the HR WP's good and bad points today. I was watching a [SIZE=-1]golden-ringed dragonfly laying eggs in a bog and the view was stunning; I could count the scales on its wings. After a while though, I realised that the strap was hurting my hand and had to adjust my grip to a less natural one. Later on, I heard ravens calling and looked up to see a pair flying just over my head. I got them in the bins, only to find I was still on close focus from the dragonfly. By the time I had spun the wheel far enough, they were dots in the sky.

I got them to use at hides and for distant things, meaning to use the lightweight Leupold Katmai 6x30 for all other occasions. Despite their problems though, and the fact that they're heavy enough to hurt my neck, I find myself picking up the HR WP most of the time now. But I don't think I'll ever find them comfortable—the stretch to the focus wheel strains my hand unless I hold the bins in a completely unnatural way—but I'll persevere. Until I can lay my hands on a Zeiss 7x42 FL, that is.

Michael

[/SIZE]

Hi Michael,

Your Opticrons, are they roofs or are they porro's? If they're porro's I can understand that the stretch to the focus wheel may strain your hand. ( Sorry if I appear dim here, but I'm not familiar with Opticron and I couldn't find a website to check. )

Your misfortune with the Ravens I can relate to; I have that all the time, I just forget to reset the close focus after watching nearby LBJs, and loose a second on birds flying by, fortunately the focus wheel on my FL's is very smooth.
We have Ravens too where I live, not many but I always enjoy an unexpected encounter with them, and I especially like the way they can mob Buzzards. Only had an anticipated Kingfisher today, knew where to find it, sat down and waited for ten minutes and there it was, bright and beautiful in full sunlight.

Greetings, Ronald

Your Opticrons, are they roofs or are they porro's? If they're porro's I can understand that the stretch to the focus wheel may strain your hand. ( Sorry if I appear dim here, but I'm not familiar with Opticron and I couldn't find a website to check. )
They're porros, Ronald. You can see them here. They have a strong family resemblance to this Minox and this Leupold.

Your misfortune with the Ravens I can relate to; I have that all the time, I just forget to reset the close focus after watching nearby LBJs, and loose a second on birds flying by, fortunately the focus wheel on my FL's is very smooth.
We have Ravens too where I live, not many but I always enjoy an unexpected encounter with them, and I especially like the way they can mob Buzzards. Only had an anticipated Kingfisher today, knew where to find it, sat down and waited for ten minutes and there it was, bright and beautiful in full sunlight.
I envy you the Kingfisher; I've only ever seen them streaking past. I was at an RSPB reserve the other day and a Kingfisher had been hanging around the day before. That's the secret of reserves: always go yesterday.

Michael

Matt,

I don't understand. There is a current clamour for optical manufacturers to compete with 'The Big Boys' and I think that the move by Opticron to move the diopter adjustment wheel to the central 'lockable' wheel is a leap forward and should be commended; you can not accidentally move the diipter adjustment any mopre just like the Leica, Swaro etc. As for the optics...Well I think that they out-perform any similarly priced Roof prisms by a country mile and £ for £ are a remarkable buy

I do agree, my point about the current design is that the upper part of the focus mechanism that pulls up to adjust the dioptic setting remains in a static position during normal focusing ~ because the dioptic cap has some ''nobles'' on it I found it interfered with the focusing action as my fingers would often catch on the plastic cap. If opticron made them so the dioptic setting cap rotates with the focuser (as does the leica design) it wouldn't be a problem.

Matt

They're porros, Ronald. You can see them here. They have a strong family resemblance to this Minox and this Leupold.

I envy you the Kingfisher; I've only ever seen them streaking past. I was at an RSPB reserve the other day and a Kingfisher had been hanging around the day before. That's the secret of reserves: always go yesterday.

Michael

Thank you, Michael.

The Opticrons do look broad, must be tough indeed to reach the focus.
I've owned a few big porro's causing similar problems; I used to hold them on the palms of my hands, thumbs on the sides so fingers would stretch more allowing for an easier grip on the focus. I know this is not the natural way one would bring the bins to ones eyes, and hold them, but I got used to it pretty quickly and the view was more steady also.

I see that the attachment points for the strap are way out on the sides of the bins; that's a good ergonomical design. The bins will hang flat on your chest, causing less fatigue. My porro's all had the eyelets somewhere under the eyepieces, I remember a Minolta Classic 8x40 porro hanging under an angle with the objectives poking my stomach. Tried everything to make them hang more comfortably, shortened the strap, didn't help, made my own strap design from boot laces, didn't help and was a nuisance with rope all over the housing, finally got rid of them and threw them away. I have simply no patience with bad designs; besides, they were cheap.
I have small hands so eventually went to roofs. But a good porro is a real joy, I must say!

Greetings, Ronald

Coming in to this a bit late, I know but in case this is of interest. I bought a pair of HR WP 10 X 42 just before taking a weeks holiday in Norfolk in September, and I've been very pleased with them. The optics are I think great, and although I don't think I have big hands I find them very comfortable to hold and use. I accept it can be a bit of a "wind" from close to near focus, but I find the wheel falls just right for me to use with my index fingers.

John Sherratt

Coming in to this a bit late, I know but in case this is of interest. I bought a pair of HR WP 10 X 42 just before taking a weeks holiday in Norfolk in September, and I've been very pleased with them. The optics are I think great, and although I don't think I have big hands I find them very comfortable to hold and use. I accept it can be a bit of a "wind" from close to near focus, but I find the wheel falls just right for me to use with my index fingers.

John Sherratt

I have also just purchased a pair of HR WP (8x42) after looking at various roof and porros. I'm very impressed with them and would highly recommend them. :t:

How do the Opticron HR WP 8x42's compare to Swift's 820 8.5x44 porros (not the ED version), which are just £10 more at Warehouse Express?

Bump. Nobody?

Hi Richard

I think the Opticron may be well built and is obviously good optically from others comments but the Swift 820 has an enormous field of view 8.2 degrees and is somewhat of a legend punching well above its weight
I own one of the last 804 models prior to the 820 and its cenrefield resoloution is difficult to tell apart from my Nikon SE 10 x 42
Better View Desired reviewed the 820 and called it a "poor mans Swarovski" or something along those lines

Definitely worth a try

Regards
RichT

Thanks Rich. I thought so. Swift seem underrated on here for some reason. I've got the 828 roofs and they're excellent but I'd heard the 820 porros were something else and at just £10 more than the Opticrons sound a real bargain! ED version must be superb, but it's significantly more of course. I've got an excellent Opticron ES80GAED scope by the way, so am not prejudiced against the make, just think that the Swift bins deserve more attention as superb vfm.

Bump. Nobody?
Very few Americans have experience of Opticrons and not that many Brits have experience of Swifts, so it's hard to get a direct comparison. I would expect the Opticron to be better optically, simply because it's so spectacularly good, but I could be wrong. If I am, I'd be interested in the ED version myself.

You might get a better idea of the relative merits of the two if you were to start a new thread asking about a comparison between the Swift and the Leupold Cascades Series Internal Focus. It's the same as the Opticron, and it may be more likely that some American BFers have tried both.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back