• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7dii top scroll wheel sticking (1 Viewer)

Parryman1

I have had a 7dii for 5 years but has had only moderate use mostly in hot weather in Spain and has never been wet but was used in Sri Lanka last year on a dusty safari.
The top scroll wheel has out of the blue started sticking. It is harder to turn than previously and has a tight spot like on a rusty bike chain. It does change the shutter speed it just notchy and stiff.

I've searched the net and have seen that people have experienced the notched rubber has stretched and not moving the wheel. This feels like the opposite.
Has anyone else had this issue or any ideas how to fix it without sending to canon.

Thanks in advance
Karl

WD40? (sorry, could not resist a joke)

I would try vacuuming it. Turn the dial, vacuum, turn the dial, repeat. If you can jerry rig a small vacuum nozzle, like straw size, that would be best. I don't think a dust blower would go the right direction.

You could try dripping some 99% isopropyl (if you can find it in these times) in there and then inverting the camera so it would drip out, hopefully after liquifying some goo. Wear gloves, avoid flame, don't inhale it, google directions on using 99% IPA. But that might be pretty risky. I assume the wheel compartment is mostly weather sealed, so a drop or two of IPA should be no worse than rain exposure. But I've not seen the inside so I do not know. Make sure the battery is out of the camera.

The issue with sending it in to Canon is their service centers are closed? you could try calling Canon or doing a service email to see if they have specific suggestions. I'd do that before trying the IPA route.

Marc

Thanks Marc
I will try canon first. I am wondering if the fine red dust from the 4 days of safaris in Sri Lanka have blocked it some how. It got everywhere despite trying to keep it covered. I looked like Donald Trump at the end of each day.
I can't use it at the moment anyway as we are all on lock down in the UK. I hope things aren't too bad where you are.
Thanks again
Karl

Karl,

Yes, I suspect it's the dust, so vacuuming seems a good and safe first step. The main issue is that Sri Lanka might have been less humid than at home? In which case, the dust might have bloated up and not be easily vacuumed. That's why the isopropyl alcohol might be needed to liquify it so it will dislodge. Or use a mechanical method. If you have a set of small feeler gauges, you might be able to get one in under or above the knob to see if you can get any gunk out by keeping the camera inverted to see if anything comes out when dislodged.

I would think that this is a not-uncommon thing for canon to clean. It likely is not very expensive, if you can get it done.

Things are not too bad in California where I am. And don't denigrate yourself with those comparisons!

Did you change lenses with that dust? if so, a good cleaning by Canon would really be in order. If I'm going someplace dusty, I try to bring two cameras so I don't need to change lenses. Usually something small for shorter focal lengths and then a long lens on its own body.

Marc

Thanks Marc,
You could be right, it was very dry in Sri Lanka.
The dust was like orange talcum powder and Manchester in the UK it always rains so atmosphere is humid.
I kept the 100-400mm ii on the camera at all times on safari and never swapped lenses.
Restricted at the moment as to what we can buy in the UK so will try and adapt a fine nosel to the Dyson Vac as a first attempt.
I wasn't being political in my reference to Trump as its all a matter of opinion, I just couldn't think of anyone else that orange
Thanks again
Karl

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back