• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoopoe uttering 6 notes in a row (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
This morning, near Castro Marim (Algarve, Portugal), I found a Hoopoe that was singing in sequences of 5 and 6 notes, like this:
poo - poo - poo - poo - poo
and
poo - poo - poo - poo - poo - poo

Specifically, the bird was singing almost uninterruptedly, making successive sequences of 5 notes, alternating with some of 4 and others of 6. I heard the 6 notes at least a dozen times, which allowed the counting of individual sounds to be done well. At some point I even thought I heard 7 notes in a row, but here I wondered if I made a counting error. I listened to the bird for a long time, but I did not record more than 6 notes with certainty.

This was a very surprising record. Generally Hoopoes sing in sequences of 2 or 3 notes, sometimes of 4. The sequences of 5 are described in the BWP as being relatively rare and in more than 30 years I had previously heard them on just two or three occasions and very sporadically, and I had never heard a Hoopoe doing so many 5 note sequences like that. As for the 6 notes sequences, I had never heard them at all and didn't even know they existed.

Has anyone else witnessed such long sequences?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back