• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Plover in Guadeloupe (West Indies) (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Photo from Claire Affagard, shared with permission ; December 2019/January 2020. She has been told this bird is a Pacific Golden Plover (first for the island of Guadeloupe) while American Golden Plover is a common bird there. Reasons given seem weak though, and we'd like a confirmation.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• pluvialisbf.jpg
    pluvialisbf.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 176
Short wing tips indicate Pacific and the nape is well spotted compared to the American, but far from sure.

I will leave the id to others, but there has been a Pacific GP in Barbados the last several winters, so the species is not unheard of in the Caribbean.

Niels

I lean towards P. fulva because of yellowish hue in head, loose golden feathers in upperparts, narrow eyebrow, lightly spotted underparts. Tertials are not long enough but primary projection is rather short.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, but I don't feel anyone positive enough for a new species for an island (although not new for West Indies), are you ? That's also my feeling. Sure in Oman, I wouldn't hestitate much...

I think the primary projection on this bird may not be as simple as it seems. I think the bird seems to be in primary moult (I can only see one long primary tip, then a big gap before the next primary tip, which is shorter than the tertials) so it's possible these tips do not represent the normal wing length.

Thanks guys, but I don't feel anyone positive enough for a new species for an island (although not new for West Indies), are you ? That's also my feeling. Sure in Oman, I wouldn't hestitate much...

Lesser golden plovers are powerful migrants so, why not?
It's a tough decision for the Guadalupe Rarities Committee, indeed!

I think the primary projection on this bird may not be as simple as it seems. I think the bird seems to be in primary moult (I can only see one long primary tip, then a big gap before the next primary tip, which is shorter than the tertials) so it's possible these tips do not represent the normal wing length.

I agree with you, so what do you think, how would you name it ?

Additional Photos

Can we reach a conclusion with those additional photos I received ?

Attachments

• pluvialisbf2.jpg
    pluvialisbf2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 42
  • pluvialisbf3.jpg
    pluvialisbf3.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 64
  • pluvialisbf4.jpg
    pluvialisbf4.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 51
  • pluvialisbf5.jpg
    pluvialisbf5.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 48
  • pluvialisbf6.jpg
    pluvialisbf6.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 50
Thanks, but is that enough to be positive ?

Absolutely Valery, an undoubted fulva IMHO, the wing moult now complete. Look closely and you can three primary tips extending beyond the tertial tips; P2, P3 close together at the tip then a gap to P4 only just visible, and crucially the extension beyond the tail tip is slight. Further structural clues include the long bill and long legs, in particular the length of exposed tibia. Plumage-wise, the extensive gold spangling and overall tone of upperparts are at odds with dominica. which typically appear colder and greyer.

Grahame

Absolutely Valery, an undoubted fulva IMHO, the wing moult now complete. Look closely and you can three primary tips extending beyond the tertial tips; P2, P3 close together at the tip then a gap to P4 only just visible, and crucially the extension beyond the tail tip is slight. Further structural clues include the long bill and long legs, in particular the length of exposed tibia. Plumage-wise, the extensive gold spangling and overall tone of upperparts are at odds with dominica. which typically appear colder and greyer.

Grahame

Thanks you so much for this detailed answer, Graham, much appreciated. Greetings from sunny Flores (Indonesia) with a lot of birding, no pandemic and no lock down... 3:) .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back